Options

RIP Eddie Van Halen

2»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Poncier said:
    i'm stunned by how much gary cherone sounds like sammy on this record. wow. 
    Skip the last song, "How many Say I"  ;)

Its not overall too bad a record, and I saw them on that tour and it was quite good, Cherone is a very versatile vocalist so they could draw the set list from the entire catalogue.
    But the public just wasn't having it. I've never heard Eddie say anything negative about Gary or vice versa,
    i read about that a few minutes ago. i'm going to listen to it just out of morbid curiosity's sake. 

i honestly thought gary was fired. apparently it was an amicable split after their second record demos kept getting rejected by the record company. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it is a cringeworthy song. oh my god is that awful.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Very sad news. RIP, EVH.
    Van Halen ruled my airwaves in middle and high school, and Eddie was the penultimate of cool on the stage with that big grin, shredding new boundaries on guitar.
  • Options
    EVH was the guitar god we "discovered" in our youth (maybe some of you are older and got to discover Jimi, Duane, Eric and Pete and such. Those I was handed by my older brothers. EVH I "discovered" along with them). Gut punch hearing about this. Listened to Jim Ladd's set on XM in tribute and the range of music was unbelievable and the thing that tied it all together was the guitar genius.  Then (re)watched live Eruption in his prime on You Tube and wow.  

And I had forgotten he's the guitar on Michael Jackson's Beat It.  And until yesterday had never read the backstory on how that came about (and that he never got paid for it! Not that he seemed to mind.).

Went looking back to the RS 100 Greatest Guitarist from 2015 and forgot who wrote EVH's snippet. I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere but here it is anyway -   Number 8

Eddie Van Halen

When I was 11, I was at my guitar teacher’s place, and he put on “Eruption.” It sounded like it came from another planet. I was just learning basic chords, stuff like AC/DC and Deep Purple; “Eruption” really didn’t make sense to me, but it was glorious, like hearing Mozart for the first time.

Eddie is a master of riffs: “Unchained,” “Take Your Whiskey Home,” the beginning of “Ain’t Talking ‘Bout Love.” He gets sounds that aren’t necessarily guitar sounds – a lot of harmonics, textures that happen just because of how he picks. There’s a part in “Unchained” where it sounds like there’s another instrument in the riff.

A lot of it is in his hands: the way he holds his pick between his thumb and middle finger, which opens things up for his finger-tapping. (When I found out he played that way, I tried it myself, but it was too weird.) But underneath that, Eddie has soul. It’s like Hendrix – you can play the things he’s written, but there’s an X factor that you can’t get.

Eddie still has it. I saw Van Halen on their reunion tour two years ago, and the second he came out, I felt that same thing I did when I was a kid. When you see a master, you know it.  By Mike McCready of Pearl Jam

RIP EVH and thanks for the sharing your gift with all of us.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    EVH was the guitar god we "discovered" in our youth (maybe some of you are older and got to discover Jimi, Duane, Eric and Pete and such. Those I was handed by my older brothers. EVH I "discovered" along with them). Gut punch hearing about this. Listened to Jim Ladd's set on XM in tribute and the range of music was unbelievable and the thing that tied it all together was the guitar genius.  Then (re)watched live Eruption in his prime on You Tube and wow.  

And I had forgotten he's the guitar on Michael Jackson's Beat It.  And until yesterday had never read the backstory on how that came about (and that he never got paid for it! Not that he seemed to mind.).

Went looking back to the RS 100 Greatest Guitarist from 2015 and forgot who wrote EVH's snippet. I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere but here it is anyway -   Number 8

Eddie Van Halen

When I was 11, I was at my guitar teacher’s place, and he put on “Eruption.” It sounded like it came from another planet. I was just learning basic chords, stuff like AC/DC and Deep Purple; “Eruption” really didn’t make sense to me, but it was glorious, like hearing Mozart for the first time.

Eddie is a master of riffs: “Unchained,” “Take Your Whiskey Home,” the beginning of “Ain’t Talking ‘Bout Love.” He gets sounds that aren’t necessarily guitar sounds – a lot of harmonics, textures that happen just because of how he picks. There’s a part in “Unchained” where it sounds like there’s another instrument in the riff.

A lot of it is in his hands: the way he holds his pick between his thumb and middle finger, which opens things up for his finger-tapping. (When I found out he played that way, I tried it myself, but it was too weird.) But underneath that, Eddie has soul. It’s like Hendrix – you can play the things he’s written, but there’s an X factor that you can’t get.

Eddie still has it. I saw Van Halen on their reunion tour two years ago, and the second he came out, I felt that same thing I did when I was a kid. When you see a master, you know it.  By Mike McCready of Pearl Jam

i didn't know that until i read it this morning! i honestly thought they just hired some wannabe to make it sound like him. crazy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    You were warned. :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    You were warned. :lol:
    it started off decent enough. I thought "well his voice isn't that bad; kinda reminds me of roger waters" and then the chorus came in. OH DEAR GOD TURN IT OFF. MY FREAKIN' EARS
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Eddie Van Halen

i didn't know that until i read it this morning! i honestly thought they just hired some wannabe to make it sound like him. crazy. 
    There's a great story from Eddie in an interview about Beat It where he was at a record store in California buying some stuff and Beat It is playing and he's in line. He says there were some teenagers in line in front of him remarking "listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen", so he taps them on the shoulder and says, "no that is me". Those kids must have freaked.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Eddie Van Halen

There's a great story from Eddie in an interview about Beat It where he was at a record store in California buying some stuff and Beat It is playing and he's in line. He says there were some teenagers in line in front of him remarking "listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen", so he taps them on the shoulder and says, "no that is me". Those kids must have freaked.
    that would be some story to tell your friends, for sure. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    He made it ok for rockers to admit to liking m jackson. I remember cranking 'little guitars' often. Sad to see another layer of rock history pass away. have diver down and women and children first. Will give them some attention later. Got to be blown away by Aint talkin bout love in the hands of pj and all the LOUD fans in Hartford. Woah. Maybe when pj starts touring again, they'll jam it a few more times. 
    "Shred" in peace. (I like that)
  • Options
    “We Love You Eddie”
    https://youtu.be/hZtQR24ouV8

Some things just happen inexplicably at the craziest times. Looking forward to Sammy’s Birthday Bash stream on the 17th. I’m sure the spirit of EVH will be present as they play these songs with heavy hearts.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    The nice thing is that Hagar and Eddie made up this year and had been chatting.  
  • Options
    really? i didn't know that. 

on the morbid side, i guess that means no more VH tour "which vocalist" speculation. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

on the morbid side, i guess that means no more VH tour "which vocalist" speculation. 
    My son asked me "what happens to the band?"
    Told him "there is no more Van Halen"
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited October 2020

Sammy sent a note to Howard stern talking about how they had been texting all year and had kept it private.  He said that when he stopped getting responses this past month but he knew that something bad was going on
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    We shared the same birthday (Jan. 26th)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    This is my favorite EVH story from the past few months.

Atomic Punk is still my favorite song he ever wrote.

wolfvanhalenVerified

A guy asked my dad if he could take a picture of him with the stage behind him, having no idea who he just asked, and that was my favorite moment from the #Tool show last night.
  • Options
    Collection of his appearances on Letterman sitting in with the band. Great channel for Letterman fans by the way. Whoever runs the channel must've recorded every single episode in the 80's. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vHL4gyYjnY
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
  • Options
    This was classic... two burritos and a root beer float lol
    https://youtu.be/e1fYpkbq8jM
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    https://apple.news/AhAPfyftlRWOjREBv4ZLSYQ
    Just reading this I felt a connection! Me being an immigrant too damn...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    We'll see what fruit this bears:
    https://www.vhnd.com/2020/10/09/wolfgang-and-alex-van-halen-to-search-5150-vaults-for-possible-future-releases/

I remember Gary Cherone saying once Eddie had massive quantities of recorded stuff at 5150. No idea what state it is in, but hopefully Wolf and Alex can find some nuggets to release.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    And sounds like cancer robbed us a final tour with the entire original lineup:

https://www.facebook.com/nunorocks/photos/a.453187797984/10159566417432985/?type=3

As a kid who’s life was forever altered when the needle dropped on the fade in of Running With The Devil.
    I dreamed that one day I could earn my own stripes.
    But those stripes are only and forever Edward’s.
    Today, 40 years later, I can only mourn those Stripes.

Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest Extreme album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me.

I was like, damn that’s annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE.
    I dropped my guitar and headed down.

I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward.

As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie.
    Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

He was in great spirits.
    A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie’s new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc...

What’s cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about.

He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have Van Halen go out the way they came in . Together... Guns Blazing!

Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new Extreme album that we were recording up in the house.
    As we hugged, he says: “I’ll be back to listen to it when you’re done, and with a sinister raspy laugh , adds “it better be good “.

Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new Extreme album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing.

I guess that moment wasn’t meant to be...

It’s incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that initmately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family.

At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7.

As Eddie was... and forever will be.
    Thank you for shaping who I am today.

Love you, Edward.

You are the ONE.
    Post edited by Poncier on
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    And sounds like cancer robbed us a final tour with the entire original lineup:

https://www.facebook.com/nunorocks/photos/a.453187797984/10159566417432985/?type=3

As a kid who’s life was forever altered when the needle dropped on the fade in of Running With The Devil.
    I dreamed that one day I could earn my own stripes.
    But those stripes are only and forever Edward’s.
    Today, 40 years later, I can only mourn those Stripes.

Once upon a time in Hollywood, recently, while recording the latest Extreme album in my home studio I got a call to come down to the front of my house, that someone is asking for me.

I was like, damn that’s annoying as I was in the zone cutting a guitar solo to a new song called RISE.
    I dropped my guitar and headed down.

I walk out and... I was being summoned by the one and only... Edward.

As usual I got a warm hug and kiss from Eddie.
    Even as a God, he always made you feel important.

He was in great spirits.
    A proud dad, bragging about how Wolfie’s new solo album is gonna blow minds, etc...

What’s cool though, was the last thing Eddie talked about.

He said he was super excited about reaching out to Michael Anthony to finally put the original VH lineup back together. Saying that he wanted to do one final tour and have Van Halen go out the way they came in . Together... Guns Blazing!

Finally as Eddie said his goodbye, he asked about the new Extreme album that we were recording up in the house.
    As we hugged, he says: “I’ll be back to listen to it when you’re done, and with a sinister raspy laugh , adds “it better be good “.

Finished it. Then. PANDEMIC.

Man, I was like a kid, counting the Covid Days down to when I could blare the new Extreme album in the studio, sitting side by side with My Hero, the GOAT, selfishly wanting to play him all the new guitar work that shamelessly, but with pride has his DNA all over my playing.

I guess that moment wasn’t meant to be...

It’s incredible how as a young player, your guitar chord, is the umbilical chord that initmately connects you to someone you may never meet, moreso than even someone in your own family.

At the drop of a needle or the touch of a space bar. They are there for you 24/7.

As Eddie was... and forever will be.
    Thank you for shaping who I am today.

Love you, Edward.

You are the ONE.
    Nuno Bettoncourt was always a beast on guitar even if you didn't like the band.

Great stories everyone, keep posting them!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    i wonder if michael anthony would have gone back after the way he was treated, though. and what conditions there would have been. but either way, too bad. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    This is my favorite EVH story from the past few months.

Atomic Punk is still my favorite song he ever wrote.

wolfvanhalen

Verified
    A guy asked my dad if he could take a picture of him with the stage behind him, having no idea who he just asked, and that was my favorite moment from the #Tool show last night.
    Love that too. Funny stuff. 
  • Options

This was our first venture out for outdoor pandemic dining in June on our anniversary and first day with new face masks I bought.

• Options
    Poncier said:
    We'll see what fruit this bears:
    https://www.vhnd.com/2020/10/09/wolfgang-and-alex-van-halen-to-search-5150-vaults-for-possible-future-releases/

I remember Gary Cherone saying once Eddie had massive quantities of recorded stuff at 5150. No idea what state it is in, but hopefully Wolf and Alex can find some nuggets to release.

I read somewhere that on most of the tours he wouldn’t party with the band after shows. Instead he would drink vodka, snort cocaine, play guitar for hours in his hotel room alone, tape it, riffs would come out of it, and that was basically his songwriting process. If that’s the case then there must be thousands of hours of Eddie on tape just noodling around until the tape develops into something recognizable.

I for one would be interested in listening to him jam for 10-20-30 minutes whatever until he stumbles into a riff like Unchained or Panama. Just the energy in that room alone. He’s gone on record saying he doesn’t recall coming up with those sort of riffs. Hopefully some of that kind of stuff gets released in the future.

Central Park 15