Personal Moments in Pearl Jam History

Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
edited September 2020 in The Porch
Inspired by the "this day in PJ history" post on here. I've been super bummed lately about of lot of things..."bummed" has been my general state for a while now.

So I often force my brain to think of better times and it got me thinking about watershed moments in PJ history that are memorable on a personal level. 

For me, it was either October or late September in 2002 when they released the I Am Mine single as an internet download on the site. It was maybe the first time that I can remember sitting at a computer to hear a song from them for the first time. And the excitement on the old board among members...some still here, some long gone...is a feeling I remember well, along with the chills from the guitar solo to close the song. For me, that song represents a new era for the band where many fair weather fans had dropped off and it was the true die hards that remained. Good times. 

Share your personal moments...or let this post sink to the bottom. Lol.......

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    edited September 2020
    - Seeing the I AM MINE video on swedish music channel ZTV (like MTV), and it being labeled "Hit warning of the week" so it was played at pretty much every commercial break for a week.

- Waiting up (I live in Sweden) infront of my then girlfriend's 14 inches yellowed computer screen, for the livestreaming of their small concert at the David Letterman-show in 2006.

- Waiting in the rain in a poncho at my first concert in Verona in 2006 hoping for Release.

I just now in september recorded a 35 min long talk about 5 personal memories connected to Pearl Jam live, but it's in swedish. So no use here. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Standing on the steps of constitution hall in 95 with my buddy on crutches in DC before the show. Then watching us standing around like dopes on MTV that night.
    Aint talkin bout love in 2010 out of no where.
    Growing up in 03 the last night of the tour.
    Just too many to count.

This band and my posters of all of my shows are the story of my life.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,106
    1992.. Saturday night, around ten..outside with friends..
    ''Goodnight guys, going home''
    ''Hey, it's too early''
    ''Have to watch MTV''..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,127
    Seeing them open for themselves in Toronto 2009. Ed then Mike then Stone then Ed and Jeff then Ed, Mike and the Pharmacists. 

Crown Of Thorns in Boston 2010. "27 shows and I don't think we've ever played this one here, so..."

The Fenway Shows, all of them, my personal bucket list venue. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Y.Y.Y.Y. Posts: 5
    The soundtrack of my life has lots and lots of PJ in it. But the moment I'd pick is the first time I ever saw them live. In 2012 - and they did Hail, Hail and I thought my heart would stop in that moment.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,695
    edited September 2020

Five years ago today. My friend and I splurged for 2nd tier VIP so we had a pretty decent spot fairly close to the stage. I remember we were trying to figure out if PJ or Beyoncé would be the headliner. Of course it was Pearl Jam. They closed out the festival with a great albeit short set. 
  • CFO93CFO93 Posts: 166
    Staying with the PJ today theme, 24 years ago today Augusta, Maine 9/26/96.
    Tiny venue, Augusta was chosen due to band's Ticketmaster boycott, only concert they've ever done in Maine. All seating was GA - show had a carnival feel to it on a Full Moon night which Eddie referenced multiple times from the stage. Great set but highlight was clearly Dennis Rodman giving Eddie a ride on his shoulders in second half of Alive. Rodman has talked about this many times.
    Five Horizons Dennis Rodman at the Augusta ME PJ show 92696
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    I found Nirvana first, but I remember starting to get into the band when I was about 14.   Spun ten a lot, saw them do a short (but amazing set) at Lollapalooza just before I turned 15.   I was a pretty solid fan until about '96 when No Code came out.  Like many other people I had a hard time absorbing that one when it came out.

Yield became my gateway drug.  '98 was such a good year.   Yield came out and I loved it from before it came out.  I remember spinning the shit out of the given to fly cd single (g2f, leatherman, and pilate).   One of my best friends I, decided to do a road trip across Canada.   We had the problem of not being sure if we'd make it back for the Vancouver show.   We added a little detour to the trip.  Once we got to calgary we dipped south to Montana for Grizzly Stadium show.   We ended up getting there a few days early.   This crazy storm came in and flooded everything. We were camping so I remember going to the movie theatre to see the x-files movie just to stay dry.   Day of the show the weather cleared and it was amazing.

While the Lollapalooza set is technically my first PJ gig, I don't remember most of it, and I was just getting to know the band at the time.   Missoula was the show cemented my fandom.   I often refer to it as my first real PJ show.   We finished out the Cross Canada trip (driving to newfoundland and back), and got back in time for Vancouver.   Bought day of sale tickets side stage.  Then I got home from the trip.  Was maybe home a day or two and I see my little brother in the kitchen.  Hey you wanna go to Seattle?   He's like yah!  So we hopped in the car, drove to the ticketmaster in Victoria to buy tickets, took the ferry over to Vancouver, bolted down the I5 and got in front of the stage with about 5 minutes to spare.  To this day it's my only impromptu PJ show.  It's damn hard to pull of when you live in on Island.

Yield bridge No Code for me, and No Code is right up there as one of my favourite albums.   1998 was what cemented my PJ Fandom.  3 amazing shows and Yield :)