Options

Vacation?

So the wife and I are taking a vacation the 1st week of November. Maybe we have lost our minds, but oh well.

We love Disney, and we are gong. We will be wearing masks at all the parks, we will be getting on airplanes with our masks on.

And I guess people can think I am foolish.

But is it just as foolish as going to the local Walmart twice a week for the last 6 months, where not everyone wears a mask? Is it more foolish than me walking in to my truck stops twice a day to get coffee, where 50% of the folks are not wearing masks? Is it more foolish than sitting at an outdoor restaurant in the neighborhood, where everyone removes their masks to eat?

I don't know. But I guess we will put our lives at risk, and go on vacation.

Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    We are too...going to Las Vegas in October.  Fuck it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    We are too...going to Las Vegas in October.  Fuck it

GOOD FOR YOU!

Yes, my wife and I may be foolish, but we got one hell of a bargain! Half price airfare and the hotel was 1/3 the price.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    We're going to Ft Worth in October, our small boys love old cowboy movies and love the old stockyards in Ft Worth.
    We bought tickets back in April when airlines were having a super sale. 4 round trip tickets was $60 total. That was for all 4 of us! We can't hide down forever. Just be safe and wear masks like you said, wash hands, etc. 
    May as well take advantage of the cheap flights and go somewhere.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    I just flew to Upstate NY to visit my 80 yr old relatives who live in the woods.
    At all the airports everyone was masked.
    Didn't go anywhere with crowds. Nor would I.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    My health can't afford to say fuck it.  Glad you can.

Please kick Snow White in the shin for me.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    edited September 2020
    hedonist said:

My health is put in danger every day though, right? And has been since this pandemic started. We all put or lives in danger just going to the grocery store, Walmart, the gas station etc. Im guessing 5,000 people a day walk in to the nearest Walmart. How clean and safe is it to go there? I know Disney is restricting their capacity, and of course the airlines are supposedly doing the same. With social distancing put in place, and everyone wearing masks, is it truly that much different than the danger I put myself in, going through my every day life?

Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Our wedding was scheduled for Saturday and our honeymoon for next week. Both have been punted till 2021. Still, we are still going to go away for a few days. I'm not ready to get on a plane or deal with crowds, so we are staying local(ish) and driving to the Berkshires. We haven't eaten outside at a restaurant yet so this is a big for us. It's time. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I hear you on being fed up.
    We don't put our lives in danger every day, but we are freaks given our fear of my wife's potential outcome if she gets sick.

If it were not for that I would fully be shopping, getting take out and other shit.  Would certainly keep distance and wear a mask but I am a goddamn tank, fine playing the odds for myself.
    For the mother of my son?
    Nope.

Have fun & be safe
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I hear you on being fed up.
    We don't put our lives in danger every day, but we are freaks given our fear of my wife's potential outcome if she gets sick.

If it were not for that I would fully be shopping, getting take out and other shit.  Would certainly keep distance and wear a mask but I am a goddamn tank, fine playing the odds for myself.
    For the mother of my son?
    Nope.

Have fun & be safe
    I really cant say Im fed up, or I no longer care. Ive been playing by the rules every day for the last 6 months, and will continue to do so. I still see a lot of folks not playing by the rules, and that upsets me because they are nothing but selfish, period. I have traveled to basically every hot spot in the nation the last 6 months, being essential. I have worked 6 months, 50-70 hours a week, delivering food goods, water, and hand sanitizer all over this nation. Im not fed up, I still give a fuck about mine and my loved ones health. But to be honest, as long as we practice social distancing, and wear our masks. Im not all that worried about my vacation plans.
    Post edited by SPEEDY MCCREADY on
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Good for you, man! We took a road trip to Keystone, CO a couple of weeks ago and it was great! Good to get away and recharge. Have fun on your trip!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    We all make our own assessments of risk, weighing the potential costs to ourselves (and, I hope, to others) against the potential benefits. Like most people, I've cancelled almost everything that I had planned this year, some of that cheerfully and some of it with a bit more angst. And even though Vancouver Island, where I live, has had a very small number of cases, I've still been quite careful - haven't been to any big box stores, haven't had a haircut, have eaten at a restaurant patio maybe three times. But I have been on airplanes, including flying through some fairly "high risk" areas, because there are people who are very important to me that I'm not willing to go without seeing for a year or more. Mask, face shield, very frequent handwashing, keeping as distant from others as I possibly can, and putting myself in His noodly appendages, and when I get there, the vacation is just being there.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225

So the wife and I are taking a vacation the 1st week of November. Maybe we have lost our minds, but oh well.

We love Disney, and we are gong. We will be wearing masks at all the parks, we will be getting on airplanes with our masks on.

But is it just as foolish as going to the local Walmart twice a week for the last 6 months, where not everyone wears a mask? Is it more foolish than me walking in to my truck stops twice a day to get coffee, where 50% of the folks are not wearing masks? Is it more foolish than sitting at an outdoor restaurant in the neighborhood, where everyone removes their masks to eat?

Say hi to Donald for me.
    I assume you re aware of having to reserve your spot in the parks ahead of time.
    Let us know how it goes, curious how things at Dizz Knee are under the current circumstances.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    hedonist said:

Me as well. I flat out won’t survive Covid. Being home all the time sucks, but at least I’m still here to complain. 

Have fun at Disney, pls be careful✌🏼
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    mfc2006 said:
    Good for you, man! We took a road trip to Keystone, CO a couple of weeks ago and it was great! Good to get away and recharge. Have fun on your trip!
    It will be very interesting 5-10 years from now, when all the studies have taken place concerning Covid. Its been a mystery to all the experts since day 1, and its still a mystery. I remember Fauci telling us, in the beginning that 2 million of us here in America could die. And that number soon changed. Then we were told that it was because we as Americans social distanced and shut down that the number changed. Yet we all go out, and still complain how many people do not play by the rules. How many of the 175,000 American deaths, that are being attributed to Covid, involved folks with underlying illness? Its going to be interesting in 5 years or so. Again, Im not calling Covid "The Flu", I am not denying in any way shape or form that Covid has been devastating worldwide. But When its all said and done, the studies should be interesting.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    mfc2006 said:
    It will be very interesting 5-10 years from now, when all the studies have taken place concerning Covid. Its been a mystery to all the experts since day 1, and its still a mystery. I remember Fauci telling us, in the beginning that 2 million of us here in America could die. And that number soon changed. Then we were told that it was because we as Americans social distanced and shut down that the number changed. Yet we all go out, and still complain how many people do not play by the rules. How many of the 175,000 American deaths, that are being attributed to Covid, involved folks with underlying illness? Its going to be interesting in 5 years or so. Again, Im not calling Covid "The Flu", I am not denying in any way shape or form that Covid has been devastating worldwide. But When its all said and done, the studies should be interesting.
    The "underlying illness" part is deceptive.  If you get hit by a car and you have high blood pressure or a heart condition your death cert will refer to all of that.  But you still died by being hit by a car.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Say hi to Donald for me.
    I assume you re aware of having to reserve your spot in the parks ahead of time.
    Let us know how it goes, curious how things at Dizz Knee are under the current circumstances.

Oh yeah, planning this trip has well....Been a trip!

For the 1st time ever, we are not booking a Disney resort. We booked the Swan, which is basically a resort, but it isn't. We decided on the Swan because of social distancing, kind of sort of. We can walk to Epcot, we can walk to MGM and we can walk to Boardwalk. No getting on the buses to go to those Parks. And yes I realize if I am willing to get on a plane, then why not just get on the buses? And for that, I really cant give you an answer. But we are minimizing our bus travel.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

Me as well. I flat out won’t survive Covid. Being home all the time sucks, but at least I’m still here to complain. 

Have fun at Disney, pls be careful✌🏼
    And complain we will! Well, I sure as hell will =)

Really, it’d be as stupid for me to take such a risk as it would be if I took up drinking again. 

Finis!
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mfc2006 said:

Underlying conditions are virtually always a factor, particularly in deaths from infectious diseases. Highlighting the rate of deaths involving "underlying illness" shows a real lack of understanding of how this all works, including how death certificates are filled out. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Underlying conditions are virtually always a factor, particularly in deaths from infectious diseases. Highlighting the rate of deaths involving "underlying illness" shows a real lack of understanding of how this all works, including how death certificates are filled out. 

So u are telling me I don't have a clue?

Cool, I am no different than Fauci!

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Y'all have fun out there.  I guess in a way I'm a bit envious but the fact of the matter is, I think my chances of surviving COVID-19 are slim, so I'm staying put. 

There were two things we had been doing since the stay at home order in mid-March that helped a lot- walking every day and taking day trips to do something interesting and fun in lieu of vacations (I haven't had a vacation in... hell, I don't know... 5 years?).  Now, with all the smoke and fire danger, both those activities are out.  And because we are in a high risk area, we never both leave the house at the same time (not that there is much reason to anyway.)  It's all making me a bit crazy.

Believe it or not, songs like this help:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824

I wouldn't say that...

We love Disney, and we are going.

...or maybe I would.  :)

We cancelled a drive from MN to Yellowstone (we are not ready to fly) in no small part because I (with my OCD) would struggle with what to do if I was in Wyoming and starting showing symptoms. I don't think I'd enjoy it.  So we did a weekend on the north shore (Lake Superior).  Something to do, but not nearly as good of a trip.

Eventually, maybe we'll do something bigger.  I want to be mindful of the communal factors at play here but since most people are just doing whatever, I get to stay at home while they do it.

I really wish we could all just shut down for like six weeks, but that would be hard for anyone, let alone Americans.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    Y'all have fun out there.  I guess in a way I'm a bit envious but the fact of the matter is, I think my chances of surviving COVID-19 are slim, so I'm staying put. 

There were two things we had been doing since the stay at home order in mid-March that helped a lot- walking every day and taking day trips to do something interesting and fun in lieu of vacations (I haven't had a vacation in... hell, I don't know... 5 years?).  Now, with all the smoke and fire danger, both those activities are out.  And because we are in a high risk area, we never both leave the house at the same time (not that there is much reason to anyway.)  It's all making me a bit crazy.

Believe it or not, songs like this help:

This and shut it down are my favorites from the new N.Y.+CH album....Neil is amazing
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    mfc2006 said:
    The "underlying illness" part is deceptive.  If you get hit by a car and you have high blood pressure or a heart condition your death cert will refer to all of that.  But you still died by being hit by a car.
    well technically the cause of death would be whatever injury suffered by being hit by the car that directly led to death. ie "C3 vertebral fracture with vertebral artery injury secondary to car vs pedestrian motor vehicle accident."
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    good luck speedy. you deserve the vacation.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    It is very tempting to plan a trip.  I received an offer from a Vegas hotel for 3 free nights and $400 of freeplay/food credits.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Just came back from a beach house on an island right off of Charleston, SC.  Amazing.  Wear your mask and do what you can.  We didnt fly so it was a long road trip there and back.  Hiltons were impressive with their cleanliness but we still wiped everything down where ever we stopped for the night.  

Enjoy your time off.  
  • Options
    Enjoy the vaca my old ass is staying put I’m not going anywhere! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Have a great trip.   I've not traveled further than 1 hour away this entire 2020.   I am ready to get the heck out of town and will hopefully do so in November.   I think this virus is a big deal and everyone should mask up and take precautions, but if you can travel and socially distance then go for it if smart about it.   There are terrible ramifications (mentally and economically) to shutting down the country as well so if there is a middle ground I am fine with that. 

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I'm kind of lucky.  I like to spend a lot of my downtime hiking, camping, or a combination of both.   If I travel, it's generally a road trip to go see a concert (which isn't an issue in 2020).    Once and a while I get a travel bug and do something a little bigger, or go visit a friend of mine who lives in the US.

This year I never left the Island I live on (after Covid hit).   Did a hike called the Juan De Fuca Trail, and another one called the North Coast Trail.  Did a handful of car camping trips to augment the backpacking trips.

I feel like I'm pretty lucky, because the things I like to do, are the safest things to be doing right now.