Last Exit-My suicide anthem-Suicide awareness

Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 159
Hey everyone. I’ve been lurking around here for as long as I can remember but this is my first post.

How do you guys interpret the lyrics for Last Exit? Unfortunately I interpret the song being about suicide. I had been depressed for many years and also suffered from social anxiety. The song spoke to me. “Shed my skin at last” and “burn away my mask” to me was finally getting rid of whatever it was that I used to cover my face as protection in social situations. “Three days, maybe longer won’t ever find me here.” This just meant contemplating suicide. “Let my spirit pass” and “Last Exit” meant death to me. It meant finally being free of a life that I was terrified of living at times and was unhappy with even though I had a great job and great wife and kids. I made the song my anthem and included it multiple times in my PJ playlists. I dreamed of being free, but I never thought I would do it.

Two years ago I attempted suicide by pulling my vehicle in front of a freight train. I survived, however my left leg was amputated below the knee. I lost my job. I hurt my family and I have since suffered from much deeper depression than I did before. I’m ok. I will get through this. I just want to remind everyone to be mindful of your friends, family and coworkers. If they appear to be down, ask if they are ok. Try to encourage them to get help if they need it. If you are depressed, I’m always told that it will get better. We have to believe it will get better. 

Pearl Jam has so many songs that are positive. I should have focused on those. Which songs do you use when you need a positive message?

Comments

• GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    Hey man, 

Hope you're ok today. Thoughts like that get the best of us  -myself included. Message me if you ever need to vent.

As for positive songs:
    Long Road
    Life Wasted
    Amongst the Waves
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• Have you listened to Gigaton yet?

Listen and read the lyrics to Alright.... 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Yes!!
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 159
    bigbiggzy said:
    Have you listened to Gigaton yet?

Listen and read the lyrics to Alright.... 
    Yes. I was going to list some songs but it was already a long post. 😬 Alright is a great song. Also, Save You, All Those Yesterdays, Inside Job...
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    edited September 2020
    I covered this song on the Better Band podcast and I do not believe it is about suicide at all. I think it is a performer’s final attempt at relevancy, knowing that their time in the spotlight is coming to an end and figuring out how to come terms with it. The burn away my mask line is supposed to be a metaphor for getting rid of the superstar persona he’s perceived at so he can go back to being a normal human being. I recorded the episode over a year ago but went into great further detail about it. https://overcast.fm/+Qdn2o1Ydk

I don’t mean to downplay your situation and the band has on multiple occasions given their listeners opportunity to interpret the lyrics how they so choose. So if it gets you through it and relates to your situation, that’s what matters. 

And I can’t believe no one has mentioned Present Tense as their positive song option, that’s always my first go to
    Post edited by Sobelberg8 on
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,161
    edited September 2020
    Certainly not a big favourite of mine but the song title says it all...

just breathe.

cant keep is another underrated song with great lyrics when you’re in a bad head space. I often interpret it as, I’m in this head space and you can’t keep me here, I’m gonna leave the shit behind and get my shit together. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,616
    edited October 2020
    Hey @Jcanr20 if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out to me.  I finally started getting help for my depression two years ago.  Unfortunately, it caused trauma in my life to finally seek out help on my own, but I hope that I am managing it better. 

Anytime I need to feel a rush of positive emotion, I go "Given To Fly." Also, I recommend playing "Arc" right before it.  It helps give a reflective moment for you before you hear Mike start in on GTF.  I sometimes envision myself swimming to the surface to finally get my head above water and when you get to the surface all you see is beauty.  Then you rise out of the water and begin to feel like you are flying above the earth.
    Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • fl247556fl247556 Posts: 287
    I was sensitive to your message. As far as I'm concerned I will say Alive and Hard to imagine.
    The initial meaning of "i'm still alive" is a bit disillusioned but according to Eddie the fans changed the meaning to a song full of hope and will to live. I really take her like that and she gives me strength in bad times.
    For Hard to imagine it is more about being able to imagine the light that will come. It's hard to imagine but it can happen so there must be hope within us
    freddie vedder
  • drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    Hey there. Firstly, thanks so much for sharing your story and opening up this conversation. It takes courage and strength to talk about your mental health, especially the parts that aren’t so “good“. I’ve struggled with the cycles of depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember and only since this past June have I started to take serious steps toward recovery. I truly believe that an open narrative about mental health is something that we need as individuals and as a society. I’ve found, for myself, that even just beginning to talk about my struggles has been freeing. Pearl Jam has been an incredible and unending source of inspiration and hope for me. I could point to a handful of songs that hit particularly close to home for my circumstances (Gone, Daughter, Breakerfall, Present Tense, Rearview Mirror being only a few) but I’ve found that the overall tone and intention behind their music is what is truly healing. Their unfaltering authenticity, their passion and compassion, their honesty and their messages of being free within oneself by embracing every part of yourself (the good, the bad, the painful, the ugly, the intense, the kind, the passionate) is what brings me back to them every time I need something to help me hold on. I can hit shuffle on the PJ catalogue, close my eyes and let their messages of love wash over me and by the time I come back to my body, I feel relieved-cleaned-released. (Release is Another intensely powerful song to lean into when you need help; Also Wash is very powerful). 

I agree with whoever said it above...PJ encourages us to interpret songs in whatever meaningful way we need them to be heard. Don’t shy away from songs that you may not necessarily think of as “helpful” songs. I’ve left my heart open to receive the Universes messages of hope, acceptance and oneness through Pearl Jam’s music since first finding them over ten years ago and I can tell you that I have never been let down by them. They will come through for you if you allow them to. 

I truly hope this message finds you well. Please know that you are loved, you are special and you do have a divine purpose whether it’s easy to see each day or not.
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    edited October 2020
    Oh, shoot, I meant to mention Faithfull also. 

Okay, I’m editing this to also mention: Sirens, Future Days and I Am Mine. 

I swear I’ll stop now. Ha. 
    Post edited by drummer1 on
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11