Options

"Cuties" on Netflix

MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
edited September 2020 in All Encompassing Trip
people are demanding 'Cuties' on Netflix to be banned- and threatening to cancel their subscription
Some say it sexualizes underage girls and calling it "repulsive"  and some say it is meant to critique the sexualization of the current society/media.
what are your thoughts? 

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I haven't watched it. I know very lil about it-- just heard the uproar. 

Is it any different than the shit show that was Toddlers and Tiaras? 

I have no opinion at this time. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Haven’t seen it, and am not interested in watching.  I’ve read and listened to some commentaries on it though, and I’ve heard both arguments (critique vs. exploitation). The problem seems to be, critique or not, that the actresses are still 11-year-olds, and thus, they’re being exploited by being depicted in a film like this. Apparently, there’s a lot of sexualized close-up camera angles...of 11-year-olds. Seems like it might’ve worked better as a novel than a movie if it’s really supposed to be a critique. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MelzombieMelzombie Charleston, SC Posts: 200
    I don't really have an opinion at this time either.
    I minored in film studies in college and had to write papers on many films.
    The behavior of the 11 year olds are disturbing, yes.. and I'm not condoning it. 
    but as someone who looks at films in a deeper manner...I'm torn. 
    Anyone remember the movie, KIDS in the 90's?
    I just don't know... 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Kids was disturbing. 

I also haven’t seen this but heard it may cross some lines. Just watched the trailer and it seems like two different things are happening here. One, a culture that typically covers (or silences) its women “, and the newfound freedom to express your true self. 

That said, I don’t get why such young girls must dance so sexually and provocatively. And leatherette pants? Seems not quite right to me though I may be biased. 

Remember the uproar of Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited September 2020
    Just read a bit of a run thru on Cuties. It doesn't really sound any different than my two nieces in Wilmette. (North of Chicago.) 

As the mother of a 16 year old daughter, we have discussed many things about sexualization of young ladies. From the 6th grade, my daughter has had boys attention because she developed a lil earlier than some other young ladies. What they sell at stores doesn't help. Try to find something for a busty, tall and solid build child of 11 and up. It's disgusting. She buys a lot of t-shirts in the men's department since the neckline is higher. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I liked Kids but haven't watched probably since it came out.  
    Haven't seen this - don't think I want to based on what I've seen....even if they blurred out any images meant to be offensive I still would not want to watch.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    as a father of two young daughters, i can't see myself ever considering watching it. never saw Kids either. heard it was messed up. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    I saw the trailer before I read the controversy. Trailer looked interesting to me, partially because I grew up in an immigrant family that had a more conservative cultural outlook than the people around us. And now, as a father of two girls who dance, I'm often worried about how kids can be oversexualized in the dance world.

I don't know, it seems people are more angry about a movie that shows the problems young girls have to deal with rather than addressing the actual problems young girls have to deal with.

I'm so far behind with my list on Netflix. I'll let you know what I think in 6 months when I finally get around to watching it!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ1973 said:
    I saw the trailer before I read the controversy. Trailer looked interesting to me, partially because I grew up in an immigrant family that had a more conservative cultural outlook than the people around us. And now, as a father of two girls who dance, I'm often worried about how kids can be oversexualized in the dance world.

I don't know, it seems people are more angry about a movie that shows the problems young girls have to deal with rather than addressing the actual problems young girls have to deal with.

I'm so far behind with my list on Netflix. I'll let you know what I think in 6 months when I finally get around to watching it!
    as a father of a two dancers (14 and 11), this also concerns me. the studio they belong to doesn't go crazy with the sexualization, but some of the older kids (still teens) are involved in some dances like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    My wife and I watched it today. The oversexualization of the young girls was definitely uncomfortable, but that's a real and present issue in society today. I don't feel like the movie merits people cancelling or boycotting Netflix.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I wouldn't cancel Netflix over it (although I'm going to anyway - not much has grabbed me lately).

I look at it as I did that Joe Exotic thing.  Watched just a bit, had no interest.  Same with this.

I just think it's sad when young girls dance (not necessarily in this film) in a way beyond their years.  I mean, why would they need to know, at such a young age, how to grind their ass or air-fuck a floor?  I don't see that as empowerment at all.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 399
    PJ1973 said:

as a father of a two dancers (14 and 11), this also concerns me. the studio they belong to doesn't go crazy with the sexualization, but some of the older kids (still teens) are involved in some dances like that. 
    MIne are 12 and 9. I like their studio but I've seen things get out of hand, especially on school dance teams.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM