Create your fantasy musician's names baseball team.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
In his classic, outrageous book Ball Four, Jim Bouton talked about “An outfield game is making up singer-and-actor as baseball teams purely on the sound of their names.” (p.163-164)

Based on that clever theme, build you fantasy baseball team based on the sound of the names (or baseball related attributes) of musicians and singers and give a little information about each player. Add a manager, if you wish.

Here is mine:

P: Slim Dunlap. Dunlap became a Replacement in the starting rotation for former Minnesota Twins wild man, Bob Stinson who moved on in 1995 to play with the Angels.

C: Lou Barlow. Barlow has a strong arm and is a solid hitter and is often referred to as a “Dinosaur” for his used of an older model catcher’s glove.

1B: B. B. King. At a young age, first baseman B. B. King was nick named Baseball Boy by neighborhood friends. The name stuck into King’s professional years.

2B: Carlos Santana. Santana is a fine second baseman with quick hands. He is well known for having various talismans that he keeps in his locker, including a bobble head of Guru Sri Chinmoy.

3B: Steve Wynn. Known for frequently singing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” during the teams seventh inning stretch, Wynn was considered a “Dream” find when picked up by the organization.

SS: Cesar Rosas. An adept player, Rosas is well known for looking cool on and off the field in his ever present shades.

LF: Tommy Stinson. Brother of former pitcher Bob Stinson, Tommy shocked the world of baseball by becoming the first professional player at the age of 13. Stinson is known for making great leaping catches at the fence.

CF: John Fogerty. Fogerty was picked up from the minor league but not given a chance to take the field until one day when he emphatically pleaded , “Put in me in coach, I’m ready to play!” Due to his outstanding performance, Fogerty secured his position in Centerfield.

RF: Gary Clark Jr. Hailing from Austin, Texas, center fielder Clark has a spotless record of making no errors, catching balls hit under Bright Lights or stormy weather.

Manager: Bruce “The Boss” Springsteen. Known for his impassioned love of the game, Springsteen was dubbed “The Boss” out of respect from his players and has long remained a solid figure in the sport of baseball.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    I’d start Robert Johnson over Slim. Legend has it he sold his soul for an unhittable curveball.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited August 2020
    I know shit about baseball, but if we’re talking mascots, I say slap a costume on Danny DeVito and call it a day. 

*edit - I’m sure he plays a musical instrument of some kind =)
    Post edited by hedonist on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    RS151862 said:
    I’d start Robert Johnson over Slim. Legend has it he sold his soul for an unhittable curveball.
    LOL,  and a devilish knuckleball to boot!
    hedonist said:
    I know shit about baseball, but if we’re talking mascots, I say slap a costume on Danny DeVito and call it a day. 

*edit - I’m sure he plays a musical instrument of some kind =)
    Good old Danny!  He can play on our team any day! :smiley:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.