Options

Gigaton vinyl defective?

LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
Im just now listening to my copy of Gigaton on vinyl for the first time. Previously had just been listening to it digitally on the ipod classic. Anyway, maybe I'm just hearing things, but the album sounds like its playing slightly faster and its bugging me. And yes, I have it on the right setting. I changed it to 45 rpm to make sure and they sounded like chipmunks.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Its so subtle that im questioning my ears, but its also possible I suppose, that I have a defective copy. Outside of hearing a faster tempo, the record sounds great.

Comments

• Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2020
    Not real responsible of you to start a damaging rumor with such an extreme post title. 
  • Options
    shecky said:
    Not real responsible of you to start a damaging rumor with such an extreme post title. 
    I would think you were kidding, but can't figure out where the humor is, so maybe not. Either way, thanks for the response!
  • Options
    CrewCrew Posts: 299
    There's no physical way to have any pressing be slightly "faster" than the rest of the batch.. the grooves are gonna be where they're supposed to be.  Start by clocking the runtime of Seven O'Clock, the longest track, and put that time against the iTunes version.  

Considering no one else has reported this issue, it's very likely your setup.  Your turntable should have speed adjustment screws on the bottom, and pretty sure there are phone apps available to test the speed.  Adjust accordingly.
  • Options
    Crew said:
    There's no physical way to have any pressing be slightly "faster" than the rest of the batch.. the grooves are gonna be where they're supposed to be.  Start by clocking the runtime of Seven O'Clock, the longest track, and put that time against the iTunes version.  

Considering no one else has reported this issue, it's very likely your setup.  Your turntable should have speed adjustment screws on the bottom, and pretty sure there are phone apps available to test the speed.  Adjust accordingly.
    I have had to make that very adjustment on turntables....sat and counted 33 1/3 revolutions by marking a burner album (one of 4 Loverboy albums that somehow had migrated into the collection--or something like that).  My wife thought I was insane....
  • Options
    Interesting. Thanks guys. Sounds complicated but ill look into adjusting my turntable. Didnt really notice the record I had on before it sounding faster, but I wasn't as familiar with it as gigaton.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    I play mine on 78 and it sounds fine.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    you could always pretend it's a live album.
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 748
    Croos1226 said:
    ^ Post of the day 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    Croos1226 said:
    ^ Post of the day 
    Its True All Of It GIF - ItsTrue AllOfIt Rey - Discover  Share GIFs
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652