Lovecraft Country on HBO

dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
I'm a huge fan of genre-bending author Matt Ruff. And I was very excited to see him finally get some recognition (and money) by the fancy folks who wanted to adapt his novel (which is more like a collection of linked stories) about the gothic monsters that an extended Black family must battle in Jim Crow America.

The pilot was a little weak, telling way more than it showed, which is almost inexcusable since the medium is more visual than the one from which it was adapted. I didn't mind the changes from the source material at all (a few gender switches here, some shortening/lengthening of scenes there, etc.), just the execution was very piloty, especially if you've already read the book. I expect it to get better. Hell, many pilots to some of my all-time favorite shows are damn near unwatchable, so I think I'll stick this one out based on the source material and the names involved.
I SAW PEARL JAM

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    DVR'd and look forward to watching....did not read the stories/book.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    DVR'd and look forward to watching....did not read the stories/book.
    I kind of feel like the pilot will be better for those who haven't read the book. Interested to hear your take.

I'm hoping that people give Ruff's work more love if this series is successful. 

I'd love to see an animated film adaptation of Sewer, Gas & Electric. And Set This House in Order would be a cool limited series.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Just finished watching it.  I haven’t read the original source material.  I loved it and am very much looking forward to the rest of the season.  I’m a big fan of supernatural elements playing out or hidden from the “real” world.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
     I haven’t read the book but this show was on my radar for months..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Finally watched the first episode last night. I thought it started out a bit slow. Wasn't sure I was going to like it. However, then it picked up, and the ending was great. Made me excited for the next episode.
    Second episode was pretty good. And I dug the preview of episodes coming up. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I really liked the first episode once it picked up steam.  Like the lead lady character/actress.
    Laughed at a few parts and was pissed off at a few parts.  I get putting uncomfortable scenes on the screen but sometimes can be tough to sit through.
    Look forward to watching the second episode, on DVR.
    Stuck in a book the past few nights and also working to finish a British police show.
    With only an hour or so on most days available right now it is tough to fit in.
    Tonight may be an off night and cam have a few drinks and take a few hours, if I don't end up going back to work.

Fuck Covid.
    edited September 2020
    Excellent gore in episode three. No spoilers, but someone should get an award for one particularly squirmy scene.

That Jurnee Smollett is something else. First thing I've seen her in, I think. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2020
    dankind said:
    Excellent gore in episode three. No spoilers, but someone should get an award for one particularly squirmy scene.

I guess you didn't watch Full House :)

GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:

I guess you didn't watch Full House :)

I did not, but kid Jurnee does look familiar.

I didn't know she was a child actor.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    She was in that shitpile DC Harley Quinn movie.  I love her.

Still haven't watched the latest two episodes but look forward to.
    Checked IMDB. I've seen Eve's Bayou probably a few dozen times, but I haven't seen it in at least 10 years. She's the titular character, and I recall being floored by her performance back when it came out.

Shit, now I need to rewatch. Haunting flick.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Checked IMDB. I've seen Eve's Bayou probably a few dozen times, but I haven't seen it in at least 10 years. She's the titular character, and I recall being floored by her performance back when it came out.

Her brother is Jussie Smollet. He is the actor who got in trouble for lying to the police about being a victim of a hate crime.

GlowGirl said:
    dankind said:

Her brother is Jussie Smollet. He is the actor who got in trouble for lying to the police about being a victim of a hate crime.

Well, you can’t choose your family. All you can do is love them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Midseason plodding episode, but It definitely had its moments. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Finally watched E2.  That shit was badass.
    E3 was good but I liked 2 better

Agreed. Episode 2 had some serious gore. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Recording the series,  haven't watched yet. Now that I know it's based on a novel I have to read it first. Goes for movies too. Cant watch until i read the book or series. I want my own vision before I watch someone else's. 

Thanks for the heads up @dankind
    GlowGirl said:

Agreed. Episode 2 had some serious gore
    Wait ’til you get to episode 5!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    GlowGirl said:

Agreed. Episode 2 had some serious gore
    Wait ’til you get to episode 5!
    Saw that one. Don’t eat dinner while watching it. 
    Watched E4 last night.  Loved it.  More Omar/Chalky/Leonard/Montrose is always a good thing for a show.  
    Watched E4 last night.  Loved it.  More Omar/Chalky/Leonard/Montrose is always a good thing for a show.  
    His arc in E5 is wild. And it packs quite an emotional punch as well. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Caught up now....damn this show is cool.  Weird, different, great acting.  
    Watched the latest two episodes.  This show is so good.  Really loved them.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i watched 2 episodes,,didnt dig it.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Sorry - too wierd?
    Just not interested?
    Damn.  Watched the 9th (2nd to last) episode.  So many badass scenes.  Probably my favorite episode so far -- looking forward to watching the last episode tonight or tomorrow.
    Anyone else still watching?
    Is it just 3 of us? 
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Just finished the last three episodes last night. Overall, I really enjoyed the series even if, at times, there was a lot going on.  I found myself wishing that I had more time to sit with things and absorb or reflect instead of being continuously bombarded with with traumatic events and storylines, understanding at the same time, that the show creators were probably intending to keep the viewers as off kilter as the characters.  Will probably have to do a rewatch eventually to see what I missed:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    Watched the last episode and wish I would have spaced it out some, as well, after reading your post.
    I really enjoyed it but had not really spent time digesting the previous episode - it was awest and there was so much to think about.
    Anyway, this was a really cool series.  
    I kinda don't want them to go on but they stated Season Finale, which typically means there might be another season.