psst...8/12/2020

13»

Comments

• Hagrid7575Hagrid7575 Posts: 184
    So ... wait. If the posters are identical and also the same, does this make them twinsies? Or are they just interchangeable?
  • Anymore dropping today Santos?
  • pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 612

So ... wait. If the posters are identical and also the same, does this make them twinsies? Or are they just interchangeable?
    I can’t wait to frame them both next to each other
  • Bring on Vincent!

• So ... wait. If the posters are identical and also the same, does this make them twinsies? Or are they just interchangeable?
    Serious question (although I get it, it’s going to sound dickish)...  are you really going to frame a poster for a show that never happened?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • That's it for today.
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 728
    Thanks
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin
  • Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 664
    edited August 2020

Serious question (although I get it, it’s going to sound dickish)...  are you really going to frame a poster for a show that never happened?
    Frame something if you like it, doesn’t matter that the shows were cancelled. In my opinion, this only makes the prints more interesting, as a conversation piece, at least. 
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299

Absolutely!  If I already frame posters from shows I didn't attend, is there a difference?

That's it for today.
    Thanks Santos!
  • toolietoolie Posts: 391
    Thanks Santos!!!

• So ... wait. If the posters are identical and also the same, does this make them twinsies? Or are they just interchangeable?
    Cinci ‘03 has entered the chat.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408

To each their own, right.... I display my posters in Jerry's Artarama ambiance plexiglass frames. I have approximately the same number of posters as shows I've seen. The date and location identified on the poster doesn't concern me at all. I get the poster if I like the art. 
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526

I will say yes. Right next to the rescheduled date poster.  Who knows, maybe they will share a theme or matching colors and make a set. That is assuming you hold on to your tickets and go to the actual show.
    Things were different then
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,695
    That's it for today.
    Thanks so much.

• Cool, thanks for the replies!  I don’t have enough wall space anymore for shows I haven’t gone too, I try to save the frames for the Uber rare things.  I get it though, some of these look nice, I especially liked Brad’s Phoenix one- wish it was on foil, I may have been tempted to frame it if it was foil.
  • deweildeweil Posts: 245

Sure, why not? Poster people come in all shapes and sizes.
    There are some people who will buy a poster, no matter how ugly/expensive it is, if they were at the show
    Some who only buy ones they intend to frame forever
    Some who buy because of the artist, regardless of whether they went to the show
    Some who buy because they like the art, regardless if they like the band/went to the show/show even happened
    Some who buy for the collectible
    Some who buy to look at in their portfolios

I'm a combination of most of these. I have several PJ cancelled shows (NC, Buenos Aeres, now 3 of the 2020 shows)
    I also own a ton of prints from shows I didn't go to because the night I went, the poster was crap or they didn't have one
    I also own prints from bands I may not have ever seen live but wanted to
    I also like certain artists (Slater, Rogers, Martin) and sometimes buy their stuff just because I like it
    So far, I've bought 2 Klausens - they go together and I like the message, and most of my Klausens are irregular sizes (Temple of the Dog, for ex) so I haven't framed them yet
    I also bought my first Byous, because it's maybe the nicest one of the bunch and he's a cool artist and I like having different styles on my walls/in my collection
    I want the MSG (i have tickets) because it's beautiful and I don't own any Mumfords yet. 
    I rotate posters every 1-3 months on average. So eventually, all the 18x24s will make it on the wall, and I'll eventually buy frames for some irregular sizes. 
    Look at PJ's Copenhagen show and tell me you wouldn't want that on your wall (I had it up in my office for 6 months. It's incredible)
    I don't spend hundreds on frames/ matting, I don't frame things to stay on my wall forever. Others do, so perhaps your question might resonate with them. But as someone who collects art and rotates, it comes down to the image/message. And a few of these knock it out of the park (and some are ugly imo, but will sell because others like them)

But you do you. 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Posts: 6,152
    edited August 2020
    deweil said:

There are some people who will buy a poster, no matter how ugly/expensive it is, if they were at the show
    Some who buy because they like the art, regardless if they like the band/went to the show/show even happened

I'm a combination of most of these. I have several PJ cancelled shows (NC, Buenos Aeres, now 3 of the 2020 shows)
    I also own a ton of prints from shows I didn't go to because the night I went, the poster was crap or they didn't have one
    I also like certain artists (Slater, Rogers, Martin) and sometimes buy their stuff just because I like it
    So far, I've bought 2 Klausens - they go together and I like the message, and most of my Klausens are irregular sizes (Temple of the Dog, for ex) so I haven't framed them yet
    I also bought my first Byous, because it's maybe the nicest one of the bunch and he's a cool artist and I like having different styles on my walls/in my collection
    I want the MSG (i have tickets) because it's beautiful and I don't own any Mumfords yet. 
    I rotate posters every 1-3 months on average. So eventually, all the 18x24s will make it on the wall, and I'll eventually buy frames for some irregular sizes. 
    Look at PJ's Copenhagen show and tell me you wouldn't want that on your wall (I had it up in my office for 6 months. It's incredible)
    I don't spend hundreds on frames/ matting, I don't frame things to stay on my wall forever. Others do, so perhaps your question might resonate with them. But as someone who collects art and rotates, it comes down to the image/message. And a few of these knock it out of the park (and some are ugly imo, but will sell because others like them)

But you do you. 
    Right on dude, thanks for the reply!  Edit- I only do the expensive pro framing stuff so that made sense when you said that
    Post edited by RoleModelsinBlood31 on
  • Ridiculous they are charging full price.  Somebody is profiting off of our TBD future show ticket money sitting there collecting interest.  Everyone who bought tickets should be able to at least be in a lottery to win the right to buy one of these at cost, plus S/H.  
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    Ridiculous they are charging full price.  Somebody is profiting off of our TBD future show ticket money sitting there collecting interest.  Everyone who bought tickets should be able to at least be in a lottery to win the right to buy one of these at cost, plus S/H.  
    Uh, sorry.. artists deserve to get paid full price for services rendered.. many of whom are present in these forums.  

Take the chip off your shoulder and place it elsewhere.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,828
    Crew said:
    Ridiculous they are charging full price.  Somebody is profiting off of our TBD future show ticket money sitting there collecting interest.  Everyone who bought tickets should be able to at least be in a lottery to win the right to buy one of these at cost, plus S/H.  
    Uh, sorry.. artists deserve to get paid full price for services rendered.. many of whom are present in these forums.  

Artists don't make anything from 10C sales. I suspect the merch employees were promised payment, hence why full price is being charged.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    deweil said:

But you do you. 
    I only buy shows that I attended, shows that didn't occur, and others that I like. 
  • Crew said:

Artists don't make anything from 10C sales. I suspect the merch employees were promised payment, hence why full price is being charged.
    Agreed that the artists deserve to make money for work that was already done, but they shouldn't be profiting any more than a usual show run.  As far as the merch employees, yeah that sucks for them, but millions of people are taking a financial hit these days due to covid, or better yet, due to the far left liberal/Antifa/BLM agenda that was lumped onto the covid angst.  PJ shouldn't be making a cent off of these though.  They should be speaking out against the criminals destroying Seattle...a place I had wanted to visit someday, but now could care less if I ever do.  I just think it would have been a nice gesture to let all those who already bought tickets to the shows, especially all of those who still have tickets to the shows, to be able to buy these for a reduced price.  So what happens if the shows do happen someday?  Same posters, but with a sticker over the date?  
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Crew said:

You think the money from these sales are being sent to the people who may or may not have been working the dozens of merch tables at the venues?
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Crew said:

Artists have been paid for their work already. In fact, this is probably the main reason these posters are being released now. I can't pretend to know the contracts PJ has with artists, but it is incredibly common for artists to be paid in their prints and I assume this is probably how PJ does it. This would explain why artists like Zeb Love are saying PJ takes care of their artists...by allowing them to sell these prints now, they are able to make their money. 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    Crew said:

Agreed that the artists deserve to make money for work that was already done, but they shouldn't be profiting any more than a usual show run.  As far as the merch employees, yeah that sucks for them, but millions of people are taking a financial hit these days due to covid, or better yet, due to the far left liberal/Antifa/BLM agenda that was lumped onto the covid angst.  PJ shouldn't be making a cent off of these though.  They should be speaking out against the criminals destroying Seattle...a place I had wanted to visit someday, but now could care less if I ever do.  I just think it would have been a nice gesture to let all those who already bought tickets to the shows, especially all of those who still have tickets to the shows, to be able to buy these for a reduced price.  So what happens if the shows do happen someday?  Same posters, but with a sticker over the date?  
    Everyone.... prayers please for Spartanacus and the posters. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,176
    Crew said:

I don't know about all that but there's a bunch of posters already printed up and they're being sold according to what the free market dictates.

Goddamn hippies always looking for a handout.