7/11/95

Ukuleddie VeggerUkuleddie Vegger Posts: 508
edited July 2020 in The Porch
Hard to believe that it’s been 25 years since I saw my first Pearl Jam show and my last Grateful Dead show at Soldier Field. I’ll never forget hearing Lukin for the first time and thinking “what the hell was that?”. I loved it! It reminded me of the bark of that little bulldog from Tom and Jerry. Nobody around me at the concert knew the name of the song and I didn’t hear it again until No Code came out! Still my favorite concert and album of all time! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mw3NF1N1y8I

Post edited by Ukuleddie Vegger on

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    What a first show!!! Still one of my all time favorite bootlegs.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,298
    My parents, sister, uncle and 4 other people went. I was "too young". Fucking bullshit! 

They went to Toledo the following year and had an unused ticket. I wasn't allowed to go because "it was a school night." Truth is, they couldn't have smoked weed and gone to bars with me there.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    My parents, sister, uncle and 4 other people went. I was "too young". Fucking bullshit! 

They went to Toledo the following year and had an unused ticket. I wasn't allowed to go because "it was a school night." Truth is, they couldn't have smoked weed and gone to bars with me there.
    I was 17 in the summer of ‘95, I m wondering if my parents would have let me go.  Missing soldier field and then Toledo?!?! Yikes.  When did you first see Pearl Jam?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,298
    mcgruff10 said:

I was 17 in the summer of ‘95, I m wondering if my parents would have let me go.  Missing soldier field and then Toledo?!?! Yikes.  When did you first see Pearl Jam?
    Not just missing them, but my parents went to both and even came back from Toledo with an unused ticket. I got to hear them and their friends brag about how cool each show was. Still all these years later it stings when I hear about how epic 7-11-95 was.

My first show, like so many others around here was Chicago 98. In the upper deck at the United Center. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    mcgruff10 said:

Not just missing them, but my parents went to both and even came back from Toledo with an unused ticket. I got to hear them and their friends brag about how cool each show was. Still all these years later it stings when I hear about how epic 7-11-95 was.

My first show, like so many others around here was Chicago 98. In the upper deck at the United Center. 
    1998 was my first show too.  I was in fan club and about half court on the floor.  I remember my dad say “you’ll never see a ticket” when I said I sent money to buy from the fan club.  Thought I was being scammed.  Ha.  I never would have thought about seeing multiple shows at that time or traveling to see them.  That changed a lot five years later.

my brother and my cousin saw the solider field show.  I remember being at home and seeing the Chicago news stations having live updates from Soldier Field for it.  I don’t think I was a fan yet at the time.  Was 14.
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Posts: 779
    My first show too.   That was a crazy 24 hours.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • ryanphishesryanphishes Posts: 586
    edited July 2020
    I can't believe you saw BOTH.
    I talk to very few people who recognize the "significance" of GD playing their last show ever and PJ playing just a couple days later, both with such faithful fan bases.

Not that anyone knew it was the last GD show at the time.

Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    That was one HOT and magical night.   I wish I could go back in time and enjoy it differently than a 21 year old drunk in a mosh pit the size of Rhode Island.  That and Milwaukeefest that year cemented them as number 1 in my brain, and ever since.  94 Chicago Stadium, got me hooked, 95 made it an addiction.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    My 2nd PJ show... and it was a magical night of music. I remember circling around the parking lot until i finally found a ticket for 100$. Which felt like a fortune at the time to my broke ass. Once inside soldier field it was static energy and excitement. Otis Rush first with the sea of crowd surfers was excellent. Bad Religion who were at the time and still are a favorite killed it. Then PJ... from the first notes of Relase to having my mind blown by then unreleased habit and lukin. It was life changing and turned me into a life long PJ diehard. It was also one of my friends that I was there withs birthday and when Ed wished his brother and anyone else in the crowd hbd, it was reason to celebrate. I still have my ticket stub packed away in the jewel case of the bootleg cd I bought some months later for 80$ 😳. Needless to say classic unforgettable night of music and day in Chicago...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • That Dead parking lot was an experience unto its own. I was 17 and probably the closest thing to a Woodstock I’ll ever see. I got there early that morning and I remember Hippies taking over the City. Some were passed out sleeping all around Soldier Field. I remember some dude crossing LSD without shoes on. But that parking lot was like nothing I ever saw before. Vws, vendors, drugs everywhere all selling Grill Cheese and pipes. Before the show, my buddy and I were trying to sneak a bottle of Jack in, but got scared with the security check so we gave it to a homeless man. He was so Grateful 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,119
    That Dead parking lot was an experience unto its own. I was 17 and probably the closest thing to a Woodstock I’ll ever see. I got there early that morning and I remember Hippies taking over the City. Some were passed out sleeping all around Soldier Field. I remember some dude crossing LSD without shoes on. But that parking lot was like nothing I ever saw before. Vws, vendors, drugs everywhere all selling Grill Cheese and pipes. Before the show, my buddy and I were trying to sneak a bottle of Jack in, but got scared with the security check so we gave it to a homeless man. He was so Grateful 
    The OG Wooks!