Options

Good Things during Lockdowm

West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
edited June 2020 in All Encompassing Trip
Whilst most of us regularily hear about all the bad stuff happening during lockdown, I'd love to know if anything good or positive (expected or unexpected) has happened  since staying home? 
Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    I don't know if it's good or bad, but I am SOOO getting used to working from home.  Still go into the office 2 days a week but even that feels like a hassle now.  The days I do go in, it boggles my mind how I used to do this 5 days a week. The traffic, packing my lunch, getting dressed.  It's weird how the brain works, it's like muscle memory and for those two days a week, I have to rewire myself.  Going into the office adds a good 3 hours to my work day, whether it be getting ready to go and getting there and home again.  Sorry, I don't think this is what you were looking for in response to your thread.  But that is how I've been feeling lately.  
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    It is the most time my husband and I have ever spent together.  He looked at me one day and said, "We really DO like each other!"  

(We've been married 23 years, together for 26.)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Seeing my wife and kids all day is amazing

and no traffic
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Seeing my wife and kids all day is amazing

and no traffic
    Another good thing?  I purchased a tank of gas on my first day of unemployment-- March 19.  I didn't buy gas again until May 21.  I just bought another tank of gas on Father's Day.  Considering that I would stop a time or couple (depended on price) a week, month/s in-between have been great! 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    It is the most time my husband and I have ever spent together.  He looked at me one day and said, "We really DO like each other!"  

(We've been married 23 years, together for 26.)
    That's awesome and really sweet.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    A few things:
    -It's definitely gotten me to play guitar more regularly. 
    -Getting more reading in.
    -Cleaning up the cat puke ASAP rather than when I get home and it's crusted onto the floor or carpet.  So much fun!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    A few things:
    -Cleaning up the cat puke ASAP rather than when I get home and it's crusted onto the floor or carpet.  So much fun!  :lol: 
    I'm right there with you, I actually hear it while it's happening, makes me feel so bad for the cat, she's basically trying to force it up, choking on the hair ball and all.  It's not a pleasant sound by any means.  Definitely makes it easier to clean up without long term damage to the carpet.  Then I pull out the Febreze fabric spray and she goes running.  
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    My house is the neatest it's been. I had started it but it's often been a stop and start kind of thing. Also, I'm in great shape from having time to do a decent amount of long-distance walks in my area.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    brianlux said:
    A few things:
    That also. I just completed my eighth book today.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
    not having to deal with office political bullshit. got word that we'll be going back to the office in september, so i'll be enjoying the fuck out of the summer at home. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Awesome thread!!

More camping! I'm currently on my 3rd camping trip since the lockdown. :)  Ok ok I'll put my phone down, just checking in. Back to nature!

My view from inside the tent when I wake up in the mornings.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Awesome thread!!

More camping! I'm currently on my 3rd camping trip since the lockdown. :)  Ok ok I'll put my phone down, just checking in. Back to nature!

My view from inside the tent when I wake up in the mornings.

Agreed- very cool thread!  :smiley:

OMG, that view!  What a cool looking spot and what a great thing to do these days!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    It really is the perfect site. We've been taking a little 3 person raft out right off our shore. 
  • Options
    One great benefit to staying at home has been improving my high-functioning mental and motor skills:
    -Cooking eggs without breaking the yolks.
    -Turning the record over AND remembering to use the anti-static brush.
    -Instead of the "lick and a promise tooth brushing", going the full two or three minute.
    -Improving my furniture dusting and dishwashing skills.
    -Playing with cat without getting any scratches.

And the most challenging of all:  Jigsaw puzzles!  (It says right on the box, "3 to 5 Years" and we did it in TWO WEEKS!  :smiley: )

• Options
    edited June 2020

@PureandEasy
    That is exactly what was thinking, it's the same here.  I too work from home and I'm totally loving it. I can only imagine how hard it must be to have to go into work and I really bet it does feel like too many extra hours are added onto your day. I dont miss going in or making packed lunches at all. I love being at home with my family and going out into the garden to have breaks from the computer and to feed the birds. 

@cp3iverson I totally agree!
    @deadendp I also use the car a lot less, saving on petrol and better for our environment!
    @xaviermcdaniel I have more time to do housework too and my diet has improved!
    @HughFreakingDillon Bad luck mate, but enjoying summer at home sounds like a good plan. At least you've managed to escape some of the bullshit! Sadly not everyone is that fortunate!
    @hauntingfamiliar That's so chilled!
    @brianlux Sounds like you are fine tuning your mental and motor skills, nice one Brian! I trust that is going well. I'm kinda doing the same thing but in a work related goal oriented way. I cant believe you have time to play jigsaw puzzles! Perhaps next time you could take before and after photo so you can share your achievements! : )
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    One great benefit to staying at home has been improving my high-functioning mental and motor skills:
    -Instead of the "lick and a promise tooth brushing", going the full two or three minute.

And the most challenging of all:  Jigsaw puzzles!  (It says right on the box, "3 to 5 Years" and we did it in TWO WEEKS!  :smiley: )
    Ever since I became ill, I’ve been diligent about daily full-on flossing and brushing - tongue too! I figure I’m just cheating myself otherwise...and it’s paid off huge over the last 2+ years. . 

And, I’ve finally learned how to play without skin-piercings. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @hedonist
    Improving levels of dental hygiene seems to be coming quite popular
  • Options
    ^^^ Brushing the tongue.  I often forget to do that.  Thanks for the reminder!

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    I totally LOVE working at home. I get to consume music like I have never been able to before because of it, I get to sleep longer, I don't have to spend so much time getting ready (I do still kind of because there are still Zoom meetings - I still shower and everything - but I can get away with a lot less preparation compared to being at the office), I am saving loads of money on transportation and food.... It's great!
    I also like that it's just generally more peaceful outside. Far less traffic on the roads still. Speaking of which, the air is also much cleaner than it was before covid, which is wonderful.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    @PJ_Soul Exactly, I'd be really happy for life to not ever having to go back to the way it was in some respects... it's much more peaceful and I prefer nature anyway. Obviously there are things we all miss, but I really hope we can all change our way of lives so we dont have to drive all the time or spend our whole life revolving around work. I'd like to work less and just chill more.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    Camping - Rain or Shine Beauty
  • Options
    tish said:
    Camping - Rain or Shine Beauty

"S'mores, kids?"
    "Yes, two please!"

• Options
    brianlux said:

hahaha, that cracked me up.  I love jigsaw puzzles but the cat just won't allow it.  I need to find a good storage place when I put it away; but she barely allows me to read a book without getting in my way.  She's very affectionate, or needy, one or the other.  When I went in between cats for about 3 years, I did a ton of puzzles.  I actually find it relaxing.  
  • Options
    not having to deal with office political bullshit. got word that we'll be going back to the office in september, so i'll be enjoying the fuck out of the summer at home. 
    I know depending on where you work, the bullshit can be overwhelming. I actually enjoy my coworkers.  

I have been working in the office 2 days a week (Tues/Wed).  

We had a teams meeting Thursday while I was working from home to notify us that one of our coworkers had passed away.  I saw her packing up to leave on Tuesday night and said my goodbye as I walked by her desk.  She wasn't there on Wednesday and I just assumed she had taken the day off.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.  She was on a different team, her other team coworkers have been working from home since March.  They have not seen her since March.  They are devastated.  As we all are, she was one of those people that every one knew, in the whole building (and it's a big building).  

So working from home has it downsides as well.  Be thankful everyday and stay safe.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,750
    I've gotten a ton done around the house. Too many things to even list. Some of it routine tasks, some overdue tasks and some projects I had never attempted before. Like a man on a mission with an endless "honey-do" list.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Working from home has allowed me to visit my parents for long weekends and simply work from there. And taking quick naps or running during my lunch break has been brilliant. It looks like I‘ll be able to keep working from home 2-3 days a week permanently, which is a dream! Like most of you I‘m saving so much time not having to drive to work!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @PureandEasy I'm so so sorry for your loss. Something similar happened at work exactly a year ago, one of our beloved colleagues passed away very suddenly. She was at work one day and gone the next. Everyone was allowed to bring their dog into work to help deal with the bad news. We still really miss her and she would have been 59 next week. She was someone everyone knew and she would laugh a lot, all day, every day. I still miss her x
  • Options
    brianlux said:

hahaha, that cracked me up.  I love jigsaw puzzles but the cat just won't allow it.  I need to find a good storage place when I put it away; but she barely allows me to read a book without getting in my way.  She's very affectionate, or needy, one or the other.  When I went in between cats for about 3 years, I did a ton of puzzles.  I actually find it relaxing.  
    Annie loves to crawl up on the table when we do jigsaw puzzles.  I have to keep a table high stool next to the table with the puzzle on it so she can watch and feel like she is part of the action.  When I get up to quit for a while or go get something, I put a weighted down large sheet of cardboard over the puzzle, otherwise she really messes it up!
    I know depending on where you work, the bullshit can be overwhelming. I actually enjoy my coworkers.  

We had a teams meeting Thursday while I was working from home to notify us that one of our coworkers had passed away.  I saw her packing up to leave on Tuesday night and said my goodbye as I walked by her desk.  She wasn't there on Wednesday and I just assumed she had taken the day off.

Unfortunately, that was not the case.  She was on a different team, her other team coworkers have been working from home since March.  They have not seen her since March.  They are devastated.  As we all are, she was one of those people that every one knew, in the whole building (and it's a big building).  

So working from home has it downsides as well.  Be thankful everyday and stay safe.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker.  Did she have coronavirus?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Annie loves to crawl up on the table when we do jigsaw puzzles.  I have to keep a table high stool next to the table with the puzzle on it so she can watch and feel like she is part of the action.  When I get up to quit for a while or go get something, I put a weighted down large sheet of cardboard over the puzzle, otherwise she really messes it up!

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your co-worker.  Did she have coronavirus?
    No, she had been in work every day and showed no symptoms.  I believe it was natural causes, she was fine when I said goodnight on Tuesday.  You just never know.
  • Options
    @PureandEasy I'm so so sorry for your loss. Something similar happened at work exactly a year ago, one of our beloved colleagues passed away very suddenly. She was at work one day and gone the next. Everyone was allowed to bring their dog into work to help us deal with the bad news. We still really miss her and she would have been 59 next week. She was someone everyone knew and she would laugh a lot, all day, every day. I still miss her x
    Thank you, yeah I will be back in the office on Tuesday, it will be tough to realize she will never be coming back.  :(