Options

Bonnaroo 2008

Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 929
edited June 2020 in The Porch
Lots of good stuff in this one... you get a debut, a return, epic versions of epic songs and of course Kanye West being a douchebag. Subscribe wherever you listen -
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    People bag festivals (mostly valid) but man, I hit Lollapalooza 2007 and Bonnaroo 2008 and had a blast.  
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    People bag festivals (mostly valid) but man, I hit Lollapalooza 2007 and Bonnaroo 2008 and had a blast.  
    That was all kind of before they stopped taking festivals seriously and started to cater towards the casual fans. The difference between this Bonnaroo and 2016 in both performance and set construct is astronomical. There have been exceptions, Telluride is great. But Ed can sometimes get pretty wasted at these shows and give a sloppier performance than what we’re used to - even when he is wasted at arena shows
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited June 2020
    Yep.  Alternative festivals up until 2011 or so were different.  The wife and I took a couple of years off from ACL and in 2014 we returned to a vastly different environment.  Not that it was absurdly more corporate. They’re always sponsored.  Just the focus and vibe were really changed. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,123
    edited June 2020
    Off the topic of Bonaroo, but Music Midtown 2012 was my first show in a six year drought (ouch). I was worried, but man did I love that show and the sound pretty amazing on the boot. Great energy for a set list that is high on hits. Maybe I was just so excited to see them in my hometown. Love that poster too!

Great festival show IMO
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,421
    Great Ed speech during Porch. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    I was front row for both of these, and yes they were great shows!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 592
    This was such an awesome show and set, i'm surprised it doesn't get brought up more in great shows/set-list talk. Certainly not a typical festival set-list, and they really seemed to enjoy the crowd!
    Out of the 19 shows i've seen, it's hard not to put this one at/near the top! -- also, for anyone that was there... still F Kanye!

SET 1
      Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
      Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
      Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
      St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
      Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
    • Options
      You forgot Watchtower!

• Options
      tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
      Still pissed work wouldn't let me take time off for this one. Already had my tickets and had to sell them. 
      It's a hopeless situation...
    • Options
      ZodZod Posts: 10,116
      Calgary '09 (Virgin Festival) and especially Pemberton '16 are pretty memorable for me.   Both were great shows.  Pemberton was ballshit amazing.

I guess at some festivals they do a short greatest hits type set.   Sometimes they get 2 hours+ and go a little deeper in the catalog.
    • Options
      Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
      Zod said:

I guess at some festivals they do a short greatest hits type set.   Sometimes they get 2 hours+ and go a little deeper in the catalog.

Yeah, set times depend on the festival. Bonnaroo is much more lenient than others. 
    • Options
      Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,548
      I love love love this show.  I have been fortunate to witness some pretty "classic" shows, and this one is right up there for me personally.  Im sure the amazing experience of the weekend plays a part, and also I had limited setlist expectations after Lolla the prior year, but this one blew me away.  HTI as the opener, my first time seeing Who You Are (did not expect to hear this one ever, I think it came back a show or two prior), the mid-Porch speech (as mentioned before) is one of my favorites, loved the versions of RVM and 1/2 Full.  A full alternate WMA (wish they didnt show the setlist on the screens during the encore).

Deluna Fest was another favorite fest of mine, I ramble more about that one on its anniversary.
    • Options
      Ed’s speech during Porch was relevant in 2008 but it seems especially relevant to what we are living through today.  Almost like Ed had a crystal ball and could see where we were headed. 
      1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
      on2legs said:
      Ed’s speech during Porch was relevant in 2008 but it seems especially relevant to what we are living through today.  Almost like Ed had a crystal ball and could see where we were headed. 
      I said the exact same thing in the show

• Options
      on2legs said:
      I said the exact same thing in the show
      =)

• Options
      Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
      I love love love this show.  I have been fortunate to witness some pretty "classic" shows, and this one is right up there for me personally.  Im sure the amazing experience of the weekend plays a part, and also I had limited setlist expectations after Lolla the prior year, but this one blew me away.  HTI as the opener, my first time seeing Who You Are (did not expect to hear this one ever, I think it came back a show or two prior), the mid-Porch speech (as mentioned before) is one of my favorites, loved the versions of RVM and 1/2 Full.  A full alternate WMA (wish they didnt show the setlist on the screens during the encore).

Deluna Fest was another favorite fest of mine, I ramble more about that one on its anniversary.
      I forgot about the camera zooming in on the encore set list, (prior to the encore during the break) I couldn’t believe they would do such a massive spoiler!

I remember seeing on the encore set list, Indifference w/Jack Johnson. It didn’t happen and I’ve always wondered if they abandoned it because of the spoiler.

Ed joining Jack for Constellations is one of my all time favourite concert moments.
    • Options
      AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
      30 something shows for me and this show is number one with a bullet and just means a lot to me as a fan. lolla the previous year was good and fun but largely a hits show (i *am* glad for education, though), and the other festival shows in '07 and prior certainly didn't lend any hopes to the idea that bonnaroo would be much different. but obviously it was. my first bonnaroo was in 2004 and by 2008 the festival had become my favorite place on earth to be. i started seeing pearl jam shows in 1998 and had long come to accept that i'd never see who you are or wma - legit two of my favorite songs of theirs - at a pearl jam concert. but here pearl jam was, dropping a wet dream setlist along with two white whales in the setting i love most. i shed a few tears, i admit. no show since or probably ever will live up to that night for me. if there *is* a heaven, this night was it for me and i would live in those moments forever if i could.
    • Options
      LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
      One of the best shows I've been to. So much fun! It was part of a West Palm to Roo to Columbia, SC Pearl Jam road trip.
      www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
      1998: Birmingham
      2000: Charlotte, Tampa
      2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
      2004: Kissimmee
      2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
      2010: MSG2
      2012: Music Midtown
      2014: Memphis
      2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
      2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
      2022: Nashville
      2023: Ft. Worth II
    • Options
      LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
      AndySlash said:
      30 something shows for me and this show is number one with a bullet and just means a lot to me as a fan. lolla the previous year was good and fun but largely a hits show (i *am* glad for education, though), and the other festival shows in '07 and prior certainly didn't lend any hopes to the idea that bonnaroo would be much different. but obviously it was. my first bonnaroo was in 2004 and by 2008 the festival had become my favorite place on earth to be. i started seeing pearl jam shows in 1998 and had long come to accept that i'd never see who you are or wma - legit two of my favorite songs of theirs - at a pearl jam concert. but here pearl jam was, dropping a wet dream setlist along with two white whales in the setting i love most. i shed a few tears, i admit. no show since or probably ever will live up to that night for me. if there *is* a heaven, this night was it for me and i would live in those moments forever if i could.

well said
      www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
      1998: Birmingham
      2000: Charlotte, Tampa
      2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
      2004: Kissimmee
      2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
      2010: MSG2
      2012: Music Midtown
      2014: Memphis
      2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest