DC 2000

TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 Posts: 1,294
Here lately I’ve been spinning the Washington DC 2000 bootleg. On paper it’s a mostly 2000 standard, but strong, setlist. However, after blasting it loud a few times recently, it’s really starting to stand out to me. 

The performance seems more focused and tighter than the average 2000 boot. I know some things were going on with Sonic Youth and they couldn’t open the gig. Maybe the band was just focused on the music and trying to heal/worried. 

So curious for anyone that was there, what was it like that evening? Your recollections, the bands energy, etc. Its not an often discussed boot but listening to it a few times recently, I felt it deserved a discussion.
2008: Bonnaroo
2010: Bristow
2012: Atlanta
2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    After buying and listening to all the 2000 boots, I remember using Crazy Mary from this show on my ‘best of’ compilation. 
    I will swallow poison
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    I think this show was next to a mall or something (maybe in the woods).  Weird venue.  I honestly don't remember anything overly impressive about this concert.  It was ok but nothing really stood out except for hearing parting ways for the first time.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think this show was next to a mall or something (maybe in the woods).  Weird venue.  I honestly don't remember anything overly impressive about this concert.  It was ok but nothing really stood out except for hearing parting ways for the first time.
    Merriweather Post Pavilion
    Columbia, Md. About halfway between DC and Balt.
    In a wooded area and near a mall. When it was built there was nothing nearby.
    Great place to see a show. Built in the 60s with I believe 5200 seats undercover. An architecturally significant building.
    I've seen many shows there and used to live less than a mile away and could listen to some shows from my deck.
    Probably it's most famous show was Led Zeppelin co-bill with the Who. First and only time it ever happened. 
    https://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-25-1969
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    mcgruff10 said:
    Great place to see a show. Built in the 60s with I believe 5200 seats undercover. An architecturally significant building.
    I've seen many shows there and used to live less than a mile away and could listen to some shows from my deck.
    Probably it's most famous show was Led Zeppelin co-bill with the Who. First and only time it ever happened. 
    That's the one, thanks for refreshing my memory.  Would I be right in that I had walk through trees to get to the venue?  Or maybe there were lots of trees on the back of the lawn?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's the one, thanks for refreshing my memory.  Would I be right in that I had walk through trees to get to the venue?  Or maybe there were lots of trees on the back of the lawn?  
    It has woods all around it. Less so now since it has developed more.  One of the best venues on the east coast to see a show. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,696
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, you had to walk on a path from the parking lot to the venue. It was through a wooded area. I grew up in Maryland and saw so many shows at Merriweather. I remember when people would leave the venue there was a part where the path through the trees got very narrow and jammed up and people would start mooing like cows. This happened almost every time. They also used to allow camping in the woods surrounding the venue. When the Dead would play there, there would be so many tents set up and a huge after party in those woods. I think they stopped allowing that by the late 90s. I only saw Pearl Jam there once though - 1998.