Quick question, side A, Gigaton LP skips

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
Hey all,
Couldn't find any discussions on here on my question. This is the second copy of Gigaton I've ordered through Amazon (birthday giftcard) where side A skips. The first copy was horrid, couldn't even make it through "Whoever Said" and were all over the rest of the songs on that side. This second copy I received from Amazon is better, but still has skips just fewer. Anyone having issues?
Best,
C
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Havent had any issues. Thats strange
  • FlyTheW2016FlyTheW2016 Posts: 36
    I haven't had any issues with my copy but I have had problems with Amazon shipped vinyl before. Corners completely bent, warped records etc.
  • nadahombrenadahombre Posts: 457
    This happened to a friend who ordered on the PJ UK/Euro site. 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,403
    Mine also skips during DotC and also does on  side b during alright.  Was weird right out of the package. Granted gigaton launched my decision to start collecting vinyl so I'm no expert on if it is normal. I remember it happening alot on the late 80s lol
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    I had this too. I've had to set my tracking weight heavier than recommended but then it plays fine. Not ideal but the only solution I could make work.
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • If your speaker is on the same surface as your turntable, it could cause the arm to jump a bit from the vibrations. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,008
    I vaguely remember putting coins on the arm as a kid. I'm sure thats frowned upon and would mess something up.
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 945
    tino_11 said:
    I had this too. I've had to set my tracking weight heavier than recommended but then it plays fine. Not ideal but the only solution I could make work.
    This
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    No issues and ordered mine from amazon. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • the first thing is of course clean the record of any debris and assuming you have done that try checking the set up on your turntable.  super vinyl nerds, aka audiophiles will sometimes do set ups for each record.  adjusting the weight and skating can make a difference.  I know it is pretty difficult now with everything being closed but if there is a hi fi shop they could probably set up your turntable.  Or they could play the record on their turntable and see if it skips.  bad pressings do happen but if you got two copies that both skip and you didn't buy them the same day from the same place it seems more likely it is your turntable.
    good luck.
  • adding that there are many tutorials online about setting up turntables if you can't find a place to check your vinyl or set up.
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 771
    I ordered mine from the tenclub and side A was skipping badly. I tried it on two different turntables. Response from tenclub was to destroy the records and take pics then they would send back replacements. I actually decided to buy a brand new turntable (fluance RT81) and then it played fine. Decided not to destroy the vinyls and keep them since they played fine on a high end turntable. That being said I did feel like the Gigaton vinyl should play on any record player. You shouldn’t need to have a high end player for it to not skip but that seemed to be the case for mine. 
  • Nothing will play on every record player if the turntable isn't set up properly.  Vinyl is a mechanical medium.  Sometimes there are bad versions that get pressed towards the end of the run or they have some debris but more often the turntable needs some fine tuning.  Even a mid priced mediocre turntable needs to be set up correctly.  You can't expect a record to play if the stylus is off or the downforce isn't correct or the Anti Skating is wrong.

You don't need a high end record play to play Gigaton.  You do need a properly set up and maintained record player.  The vinyl cutter and pressing plant can't anticipate every variable of everyone's turntables.

I have a mid level Pro-Ject turn table and it plays fine.  
    Records are a fiddly way to listen to music.  To keep things sounding good you need to futz with your set up.  Like I said earlier there are people who adjust their set up depending on the weight of the record and the thickness.
    There is no just slapping it on and turning it up.  That isn't how vinyl works.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Appreciate all the comments! Take good care all! 
    www.cluthelee.com