Eddie's Setlist Process?

jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
I've been thinking about how EV creates the set-lists for the PJ shows.  We know the guys leave this to EV. I was thinking, given that PJ has an insane amount of songs & covers they can drawn upon - do you think Eddie has a complete list of ALL PJ songs he refers to ?- cant be easy to remember all tracks, b-sides & covers.

What do you guys think?
"Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}

Comments

• eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    Eddie talks a little about the sets here. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Matt Cameron also discussed it on a recent episode of the Vinyl Guide Interview podcast. He also mentioned that he (Matt) tried to emulate Ed as the setlist guy for the reformed Soundgarden. (That's a cool interview, and worth checking out in general too.)
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,828
    edited May 2020
    When the fan made the setlist for Amsterdam 2, I believe someone mentioned that Eddie basically has two lists.
    1) Every song they know.
    2) Every song played in that city.

With that said, we know there's a sort of "typical" setlist as well as a "typical festival" setlist. Festivals are going to be more hit-based. It seems like the further they get from an album, the more likely they are to play deep tracks like Black, Red, Yellow in Chicago 2016 or Immortality with the different lyrics in Boston 2018.

A typical show starts with slow songs, but not necessarily...some shows (maybe moreso outside ones?) will have 20-30 minutes of slow stuff at the start.

Even Flow about 30 minutes in with the 9-12 spot or so.

Typically one of about three songs at the end of the first set and first encore. (Porch and RVM seem to be favorites).

The first encore starts slow.

Alive and a cover or two (RIFTW, as of late) at the end 

Y Led or Indifference at the last spot. Usually it's YLed, but if they play two shows in the same city, look for one of those songs each night.

Throw in requests from the forums, VIP guests and any "special songs" that may be relevant based on the date or city (Love Boat Captain on 6/30 shows, Garden in NYC, Release in Chicago) and you have yourself the basic setlist structure.

As far as multiple shows in the same city, the odds are good that they'll mix things up outside Even Flow, Alive and the newest songs. Don't look for songs other than those played both nights.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 Posts: 1,637
    When the fan made the setlist for Amsterdam 2, I believe someone mentioned that Eddie basically has two lists.
    1) Every song they know.
    2) Every song played in that city.

With that said, we know there's a sort of "typical" setlist as well as a "typical festival" setlist. Festivals are going to be more hit-based. It seems like the further they get from an album, the more likely they are to play deep tracks like Black, Red, Yellow in Chicago 2016 or Immortality with the different lyrics in Boston 2018.

A typical show starts with slow songs, but not necessarily...some shows (maybe moreso outside ones?) will have 20-30 minutes of slow stuff at the start.

Even Flow about 30 minutes in with the 9-12 spot or so.

Typically one of about three songs at the end of the first set and first encore. (Porch and RVM seem to be favorites).

The first encore starts slow.

Alive and a cover or two (RIFTW, as of late) at the end 

Y Led or Indifference at the last spot. Usually it's YLed, but if they play two shows in the same city, look for one of those songs each night.

Throw in requests from the forums, VIP guests and any "special songs" that may be relevant based on the date or city (Love Boat Captain on 6/30 shows, Garden in NYC, Release in Chicago) and you have yourself the basic setlist structure.

As far as multiple shows in the same city, the odds are good that they'll mix things up outside Even Flow, Alive and the newest songs. Don't look for songs other than those played both nights.
    Right ok!  That's what I was wondering - if EV has a complete list of every song they play - didn't know about the 2nd list of songs played in that city, that's cool.

Thanks!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,146
    Similar to Lars "Lasse" Ulrich, he also has a list and keeps check of what they have played in that specific country/city earlier years. 

Not that, it seem to matter to Metallicas setlists in the end. But anywho. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    How many RITFW does it go on one Baba?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2020
    And yes, for a tour they should let the other guys decide the setlists. And see what changes.

And wait... didn't Stone do the setlist for a semi-recent show?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    And yes, for a tour they should let the other guys decide the setlists. And see what changes.

And wait... didn't Stone do the setlist for a semi-recent show?
    Quebec 2016 from memory I think!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    When I win the #allinchallenge I will ask and report back
    Jumb0 said:
    When I win the #allinchallenge I will ask and report back
    Me too!

Oh... wait... I'm european... I'm sorry, yet another contest just for americans.
    Matt Cameron also discussed it on a recent episode of the Vinyl Guide Interview podcast. He also mentioned that he (Matt) tried to emulate Ed as the setlist guy for the reformed Soundgarden. (That's a cool interview, and worth checking out in general too.)
    Why hasn't anyone talked about this? Amazing! Thank you
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    Matt Cameron also discussed it on a recent episode of the Vinyl Guide Interview podcast. He also mentioned that he (Matt) tried to emulate Ed as the setlist guy for the reformed Soundgarden. (That's a cool interview, and worth checking out in general too.)
    Why hasn't anyone talked about this? Amazing! Thank you
    There’s a thread about it ;)
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• PapPap Posts: 28,775
    Ed has a feeling pretty much everywhere that we play... And he draws it up and then he gives it to us to kind of check it out... If there is any feedback we can give him... Or throw something that we want to play... Or if we've run into somebody that wants to hear something will throw that out... If it sounds like a good idea... So much of it is just kind of by feel... Ed has such a great gauge of how things are feeling, how the crowd's feeling... That's, a lot of times, why the setlist doesn't get down until... I mean, sometimes it's done half an hour before the show... Before we play... But, oftentimes, it's done 10 minutes before we play... Typically, for the encores, if it feels like we've kind of given them a pretty good ride at that point then maybe that first encore will be a sit-down encore or be a little bit more of a down encore... ~ Jeff Ament (Immagine in Cornice)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024