Off he goes

eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
Hows it going folks. Just listening to 'Off he Goes'. How good is that song.  It's my top 3. Be safe. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    My ring tone

always love it in the encore 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    One of my all time favorite songs & one of the first I learned on guitar when I started playing in 1997.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    That song makes me sad.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    It's legendary. It's one of those classic simple songs that are so good such as Lennon's Imagine and my favorite Wishlist. 
    Gigaton's Comes Then Goes feels like it's cousin. 
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    .... is my all-time favorite song. The other song in this league is "I'm One" by The Who.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,702
    ceska said:
    .... is my all-time favorite song. The other song in this league is "I'm One" by The Who.
    I love I’m One. Have you heard the Pete Townsend solo version on Deep End Live. It’s my favorite version of that song. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    Liked it before, but loved it after seeing it live
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    KN219077 said:
    Liked it before, but loved it after seeing it live
    Toronto 2011 is a beautiful performance of this one.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,616
    edited May 2020
    I love the outro to this song so much.  Especially when Brenden on the piano starts to stand out.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    The showbox version and lo2l are fab  

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Love this song, love it.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    eboweddie said:
    The showbox version and lo2l are fab  
    Please don't get out the pitchforks but I didn't really give OHG that much attention until hearing that LO2L version. 
    It's a great song - but I much prefer the various live renditions.
  • jimnelsenjimnelsen Posts: 73
    I like it knowing it's about his friendship with Neil young.
    MF117973 said:
    ceska said:
    I love I’m One. Have you heard the Pete Townsend solo version on Deep End Live. It’s my favorite version of that song. 
    I have! I had that show on tape, been meaning to convert it to mp3 or track down a CD. That is a great album, and a great version  =)
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    Beautiful tune and is easily in my top 10. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    jimnelsen said:
    Didn’t know that, any more info on that?
    edited May 2020
    First I've read that too. Just doing some google searching, there are a lot of fan comments online to the effect of "I heard this is about Neil." "It's about Neii" etc., without offering any substantiation (I.e., cited comment from Ed). At the Showbox 1996 show, Ed says "“This song’s either about me or my roommate. I haven’t figured it out yet.” " I would say it is much more about Ed himself than about Neil. I feel it is a stronger song if it is about someone trying to describe themself to the world by being more comfortable talking about as if it was another person (I.e. "asking for a friend", as they say nowadays). That's how I interpret it, and what it means to me.
    Post edited by ceska on
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842
    jimnelsen said:
    I read somewhere, the song is about Ed. He is the one, that at times, Goes. It is Ed talking to himself. 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    I actually highly prefer the studio version of this one. Mike goes a little too hard on the solos live and drowns out the nice little part Ed plays. Probably the only song I can think of that I have that complaint for except maybe Of the Girl. 
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
    The story of "Off He Goes" concerns a friend who periodically comes whirling in and out of the protagonist's life. In an interview, Vedder revealed himself to be the friend. Vedder said, "The song 'Off He Goes' is really about me being a shit friend. I'll show up and everything's great and then all of [a] sudden I'm outta there..."During a Pearl Jam performance on June 16, 2000 in KatowicePoland at Spodek, Vedder said before starting the song that "this is about being friends with an asshole,"and pointed at himself.

This from wikipedia.