Options

04-30-03: It was the best of shows, it was the worst of shows

Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. Uniondale, Long Island, New York. April 30, 2003.

I had never sat closer to the stage at a Pearl Jam concert. Stage left, up only a few rows. Clear view of the entire band. I could see Ed's eyes from the first note of Long Road to when it all fell apart after Bushleaguer. 

To understand why it happened, you have to understand Nassau County, and Long Island as a whole. I was born, raised, and have lived all of my 40 years in different towns across Nassau, including Uniondale, where the Coliseum is located. 

It's easy to chalk up the incident to a mainly Republican population, which Nassau County definitely has. But even more than party affiliation, what the county, and Long Island in general, has is a population of white, privileged, flag wavers that are easily manipulated by faux patriotism and anything that plays to the most basic of human emotions. Have you ever seen the "they took our jobs!" episode of South Park? That's the crowd.

So, when the debris started flying toward the stage and the boos were raining down, I was saddened, angered, frustrated, embarrassed, but not surprised. I grew up with these people. To an extent, I was/am one of them. My main personality difference is that I'm extremely liberal. 

Anyways, I remember thinking during the show, before the incident, that this was going to go down as a classic PJ concert. I mean, the second song they played was Rearviewmirror!

But now it's memorable for a different reason. And now, looking back 17 (!!!) years later, I wouldn't change it at all. From Bushleaguer to Know Your Rights to RITFW, the intensity and tension remains unmatched at a Pearl Jam concert. 

In the immortal words of Ed that closed out the show....

"Thank you, goodnight! *mic smash*"

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,472
    Totally bizarre show.  We got to the Coliseum at like 9am and left exhausted.  The ending was bizarre and the worst vibe I’ve ever seen at at PJ show.  From the booing by the crowd to Ed going at it with the crowd and slamming down the mic at the end.  Very surreal show.  And the drive back to NJ was awful.  Only in New York can you sit in bumper to bumper traffic for hours at midnight.  

I also think that you can’t lay it all off on flag wavers.  This was like 18 months after 9/11 and the close proximity to NYC meant that the wound was still very raw.  If you’re like me you had at least one person from your home town who died in the tower and knew countless others who worked there and were dramatically  affected by it.  Most people saw Bush at that time as the guy who lifted them up when they needed it. And I think they resented the take down for very personal reasons.  I don’t think the booing was purely blind patriotism.  Although for some I’m sure it was about that. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 906
    Man, I can’t imagine that feeling being there. It’s tense on a bootleg 17 years later. That Know Your Rights is pure fire, probably the best version of the song. I was never a fan of parading around a mask of the president, and that’s not a partisan view, I would have felt the same way no matter who was president. I do love bushleager though and think it was a great commentary of the times.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    It was such a phenomal show until that point.  Ugh what could have been.  I left the building feeling so perplexed, what the hell did I just witness?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    It was such a phenomal show until that point.  Ugh what could have been.  I left the building feeling so perplexed, what the hell did I just witness?
    I remember driving home trying to convince myself that it was a great show and what happened was no biggie. Then I listened to the bootleg. Yes it was a great show, but listening to the bootleg reminded me of just how unreal it was being there. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,460
    on2legs said:

I also think that you can’t lay it all off on flag wavers.  This was like 18 months after 9/11 and the close proximity to NYC meant that the wound was still very raw.  If you’re like me you had at least one person from your home town who died in the tower and knew countless others who worked there and were dramatically  affected by it.  Most people saw Bush at that time as the guy who lifted them up when they needed it. And I think they resented the take down for very personal reasons.  I don’t think the booing was purely blind patriotism.  Although for some I’m sure it was about that. 
    As someone who is from New York, lost two friends in the World Trade Center, had a brother on the NYPD who was forever traumatized by weeks spent digging through the rubble at Ground Zero, but who also never understood the rationale for the Iraq War, thinks it was one of the biggest blunders in U.S. history, who did not vote for Bush in either election, and who was in the crowd at that show, let me just say:

You have nailed it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Another trip around the calendar and once again remembering this pivotal show in the career of this band. 4/30/03 will always live rent free in my mind.
  • Options
    18 years ago....crazy!  I think that was the last time I was in Long Island. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    You mean ON long island 😆 
  • Options
    Long Red said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    You mean ON long island 😆 
    Ha ha.  duh on my part.