Options

How the virus changed my Gigaton experience

MP1681MP1681 Posts: 2
edited April 2020 in The Porch

I'll never forget when I got the email from PJ.com about the augmented reality displays they put in a few cities around the world because as I was scanning the map it suddenly occurred to me that one of the installations was two subway stops away from my office (NYC). I was having a light day at work so I ran over to check it out. I had a good laugh with a group of fellow 40 something year old bearded males, as we held our phones up trying to get the Gigaton filter to work.

There's nothing I relish more than connecting for life with a musician or band as I journey through the years with their art and Pearl Jam has almost always been the cornerstone of this very personal experience; and as I stood there at the corner of 7th Ave and Commerce street the excitement of confirming a new album was finally on its way began to swell.

I love to drive because it's where I love most to listen to my music collection, and over the years I've had some pretty long commutes to work. Being able to use that time to immerse myself in food for my soul is just incentive to never say no to going farther for a new job. An hour in the car just means more time to fire up the jukebox and let 'er rip; and now after 7 years of waiting I was going to get to add more original Pearl Jam to experience.

The next part of the story we all know. Coronavirus came to town, shows were postponed, and we were all told to work from home. Then Santos L Halper delivered Gigaton and even though I was elated just to have it in these times of relentlessly frustrating news, I was disappointed to have nowhere to take it.

So I started playing it at home, just a little at a time instead of all the way through, and quietly as not to disturb my wife who is also working at home instead of with gusto on an aftermarket sound system I proudly overspent on for my vehicle.

But for the first time my kids are interested in listening with me. It's like being stuck home together just naturally forced some of their attention to what I was up to and enjoying. My young daughter is happily jumping around the living room for Superblood Wolfmoon and my oldest son is legit grooving to Quick Escape.

Plus I'm so grateful for the Gigaton experience movie. In a period of history like none other, I get to see, hear, and feel Pearl Jam like I've never before. Plus we got that gorgeous River Cross solo on TV. I wasn't planning on making a special trip to the theaters to see it, and even if it would have been on Apple TV anyways I probably wouldn't have made a special point to watch it immediately.

So the 11th Pearl Jam album delivers for me anew. Thank you to the band and everyone else involved.

And to all my fellow 40 something year old bearded male fans, and the rest of you, I can't wait to be with you when we're all together to see our Pearl Jam Live.

Take care, be well.

Post edited by MP1681 on
Tagged: