Mike McCready is going live with AWOLNATION on Thursday

SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
edited April 2020 in The Porch
thought I’d be the first to break the news because I didn’t see it hear on the board, and also because AWOL is one of my favorite groups of all time. 

So here’s what you need to know: 

Aaron Bruno, the singer and creator of awolnation, has been doing an hour long ‘podcast’ of sorts on Instagram everyday at 12pm PST since quarantine almost 4 weeks ago. 

This is going to be an interesting one and will probably be an hour long talk. An instagram account is required to view this, as Aaron only goes live on Instagram. 

I’d thought I’d also attempt to explain the connection here as well, as some of you are nodoubtly going ‘who?’ or ‘what?’, so I thought maybe I could entice you here. 

Since the summer of 2015, Jack Irons offspring, his son Zach Irons, has been playing guitar in Aarons live band, and in recent years has even played on awol’s records. Big for the band, as Aaron usually does all of the production on his own in the studio. Aaron has even gone on to producer and engineer Zachs band Irontom (another great band you should check out) 

Aaron has no doubt met daddy Irons over the years, and im sure Jack keeps in touch with the Pearl Jam boys even though he doesn’t play with them. Aaron will use awolnations instagram account and comment on Jacks pictures. Its the only connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

Aaron is a fan and has talked about his love for the band before. I’ve even noticed a Danny Clinch/EV book on his coffee table before. He is way more of a Nirvana fan though. Im sure we will find out the connection on Thursday. 

Most of Aarons chats have been about mental health and wellness during this time, so I can see between Stone and Mike, who were probably the 2 to be asked to do this, it was easier to go with Mike.

Also, before you guys discredit awolnation as the guy with that ‘Sail’ song, allow me to expand yalls tastebuds. 

Awolnation to me is like taking the complexity and elegance of a Queen song, adding a guitar straight out the 80’s, like Guns N’ Roses/Motley Crue or the crunchy Brian Johnson AC/DC, and taking all of that and adding a mid 2000’s pop/punky band like Fall Out Boy or My Chemical Romance and just baking all of that into a cake. 

Where they really stand out though is with their live sound. No other 2010’s era pop band sounds like this:

Post edited by SandyRavage on

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    My entire family are big fans of AWOLNATION, and my enjoyment of Aaron Bruno's music goes back to his days as frontman for Hometown Hero. Saw them open for STP in a gym in Cornell in 2002, and they crushed it. Anyway, my kids and I have been logging in to watch his Insta-interviews throughout the past few weeks where band members of GNR, Rise Against, and other artists have come on and just talked about how they are doing throughout this whole thing. A number of times throughout the interviews Aaron has talked about how weird it is going to be to release an album with no hope of touring right away (his/their's drops on Thursday or Friday) so I imagine that would be the unique aspect of this interview (on top of the mental health stuff). Anyway, as the other poster noted, AWOLNATION is such a unique and fun musical act driven by Bruno who emerged from the hardcore scene, graduated to hard rock/grunge, and then to this project. In the interim I think he wrote like commercial jingles which gives almost any AWOL song a singalong quality that has grabbed the ears of my children (9, 7, and 5). Sail is an amazing song no matter how played out it is, but it wasn't even the best song on Megalithic (Not Your Fault has that honor), and there are numerous others (Some Kind of Joke, Table for One, I am, Passion, Live Love, Lie Love, Like People Like Plastic, 7 sticks of dynamite, and Mayday! (Fiesta Fever)) worth listening to. I am pretty pumped to watch this on Thursday, and encourage others to as well. Actually, you know what, just ignore this post and don't tangle up the instagram lines so maybe I can get a question for Mike answered.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    AwolNation’s a good band.  Good live too.  Saw them 9 yrs ago at ACL.  

Cool there’s a PJ connection
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    Hey I like „that Sail song“! Cool
  • PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 184
    AWOLNATION is a great band live. They are their own sound in a mist of today's clone music. Aaron has significant stage presence and energy when performing.  I highly recommend listening to these guys music. 
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, Bristow, VA, Scranton
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, VA, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto, Nashville, TN
    23 - Ft. Worth 1 & Ft. Worth 2, Austin 1 & Austin 2
    24 - LA 1 & LA 2, MSG 1, Philadelphia 2, Baltimore 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Awesome
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    do these things have to be listened to "live" on IG or is available later for listening?
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    do these things have to be listened to "live" on IG or is available later for listening?
    you can watch them after, but only for 24 hours
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,317
    you can watch them after, but only for 24 hours

Very nice! :)
  • Light of StarsLight of Stars Posts: 94
    edited April 2020

Its the only connection I can think of off the top of my head. 

AWOLNATION's manager is Berko (Rob Webber), who was in the band Shadow with Mike. That's probably at least part of - if not the main reason for - the connection
    Post edited by Light of Stars on
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,317
    Happening today @ 12pm PST over @ https://www.instagram.com/awolnation/

9pm CET, perfect 👌🏻 
    Welp
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Hopefully he isn’t sick :s 
  • coastbluecoastblue Posts: 14
    Probably, like me, he's just spent the past 20 minutes how to participate in an Instagram Live thing (joking).  Having to learn all of these new social media and media-media platforms is starting to become a bit too much for this GenXer.   I did figure out where the Live video was happening and then spent teh next few minutes trying to figure out where Mike was.  Thanks, Demetrios, so much for updating us.  And thanks, SandyRavage for the update and background.  Hope to catch Mike the next time around. 

Hope Mike's okay and there's just some minor reason that he can't participate today. 

Well the new album is out today! There stuff always takes time for me to enjoy fully. Really loved the final 3 songs though on the first listen.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016