Gigaton Glacier/Fracture

JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
just thought i would share. i downloaded a copy of a pretty good resolution picture of the album cover.. and got it printed on glass using fracture.com... hopefully we get red stickers of the heartbeat so i can add to it..  but i think it ended up pretty good.

Comments

• Cool idea!
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    I assume you paid for the image
  • KN219077 said:
    I don't think you really assume that...or you probably wouldn't have to mention it.  But fair point.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Cool 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Very cool
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    KN219077 said:
    I don't think you really assume that...or you probably wouldn't have to mention it.  But fair point.
    I was just being cheeky
  • Is that banangrams next to your remotes?  My family is a big fan of that game!
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    If you are going to steal an artist's image, you might not want to advertise that you have done so. Just ain't cool. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • RobZRobZ Posts: 181
    deadendp said:
    If you are going to steal an artist's image, you might not want to advertise that you have done so. Just ain't cool. 
    The image is now part of the public domain, and the OP appears to have used it for personal use...so let's bring it down a notch, eh?
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    The image is now part of the public domain, and the OP appears to have used it for personal use...so let's bring it down a notch, eh?
    The artist is selling these images. My guess is that you aren't an artist or you might look at it a little differently.  
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    The artist is selling these images. My guess is that you aren't an artist or you might look at it a little differently.  
    Not an artist, but a have a legal background. In my first comment, I just assumed the OP DIDN'T own the CD...however, if he does, with ownership he acquires a "reasonable expectation" to use music and all images he purchased as he sees fit. Again, it appears he's using it for personal use, so there's no legal issue here.  The artist knew/or should have known this when the image was allowed to enter the public domain/ownership.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    I'm not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)   I'm cool with him making something for his own personal use.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

edited April 2020
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    Not an artist, but a have a legal background. In my first comment, I just assumed the OP DIDN'T own the CD...however, if he does, with ownership he acquires a "reasonable expectation" to use music and all images he purchased as he sees fit. Again, it appears he's using it for personal use, so there's no legal issue here.  The artist knew/or should have known this when the image was allowed to enter the public domain/ownership.
    As an artist who works for an artist at an art gallery, I feel differently. Whether you deem that view correctly in your eyes or not, I honestly don't give a fuck. Over the 22 years of working at galleries, I have seen a lot of artists screwed over. I have seen the gentleman I work for go through litigation because of people taking his images as their own. 

Is the OP selling this? No.

Should Fracture have gone on and printed another artist's work to sell to a customer? No. 

My point that you may have missed is that printing someone else's image is one thing, but to advertise online that you did it is a whole different thing. 

It just isn't cool. 
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    As an artist who works for an artist at an art gallery, I feel differently. Whether you deem that view correctly in your eyes or not, I honestly don't give a fuck. Over the 22 years of working at galleries, I have seen a lot of artists screwed over. I have seen the gentleman I work for go through litigation because of people taking his images as their own. 

Should Fracture have gone on and printed another artist's work to sell to a customer? No. 

My point that you may have missed is that printing someone else's image is one thing, but to advertise online that you did it is a whole different thing. 

It just isn't cool. 
    What "just isn't cool", is YOU accusing the OP (apparently a hard-core PJ fan) of "stealing",...let me repeat that, "stealing".   You should apologize.  You were wrong on all accounts.  Man up, and apologize.

edited April 2020
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:

It just isn't cool. 
    What "just isn't cool", is YOU accusing the OP (apparently a hard-core PJ fan) of "stealing",...let me repeat that, "stealing".   You should apologize.  You were wrong on all accounts.  Man up, and apologize.

Not a man and not apologizing. 
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:

It just isn't cool. 

Figured as much, on both accounts.  So I don't want to hold you up, it's apparent you need to get back to all that anger and bashing of your fellow PJ fans/family...seems that's what your best at.  Good luck with that....Ciao!

• JJ42005JJ42005 Posts: 119
    edited April 2020
    wow.. sorry everybody.. didnt mean to start that kind of discussion.. but my "advertising" was not to sell any of the said products.. and like one person said.. its on the internet which is the public domain, i downloaded a copy that is FREELY available to anyone.. i am not trying to make any money from this, the minute i saw the album cover. i thought it would look really good being printed on glass..  still hope to get red color stickers of the heartbeat..  that would set this off i think..

yes.. banangrams!  good eye!!

stay safe everybody see you at a PJ show soon.  and yes.. i have been a hardcore fan since the beginning... 

and oh.. btw.. i own the album and the cd..
    Post edited by JJ42005 on
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    The image is now public domain?  The image printed isn't the actual album cover; it's the original photograph image, which is still being sold directly by the photographer, Paul Nicklen.  https://paulnicklen.com/fineart/ice-waterfall/

The image itself will not become public domain until (I believe) 70 years after Nicklen dies.  Considering the photo itself (not the cover art) is only 6 years old, it's got a long way to go before it becomes public domain.  

That being said, I think it's a cool piece and as long as it's for personal use, I think the only wrongdoing here is by the company that knowingly printed copyrighted intellectual property.
  • Geez that sucks the fun out of collages and any self  creative art for arts sake in your own home using images that are out there and able to print with no watermark...so if I printed that piece on paper from the web it is still theft or is it because it is on glass or that a company did it? I seriously dont know the limits of copyrights just curious.
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    This is not a collage and it is not something someone did in their own home. The issue, as I see it, is not with OP but that a commercial photo reproducing company printed another artist's work without said artist being compensated. It isn't really cool to advertise when said artist is selling prints on their own website. It is the photography equivalent of selling bootleg CDs.

I learned that lesson long ago, much younger, when I took photos of some CD covers to get enlarged so I could frame them 8x10 and hang on my wall. The photo store wouldn't do it because it was commercial art/someone else's work.

Yes you can download a photo on your home computer and print it on your home printer and hang it on your wall.

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:

It just isn't cool. 

Figured as much, on both accounts.  So I don't want to hold you up, it's apparent you need to get back to all that anger and bashing of your fellow PJ fans/family...seems that's what your best at.  Good luck with that....Ciao!
    You figured this was a woman?  Why?

This got weird. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:
    RobZ said:
    deadendp said:

It just isn't cool. 

You figured this was a woman?  Why?

This got weird. 
    Eating Popcorn GIFs  Tenor

This could go sideways.....
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    Talent borrows... genius steals.  - Kevin Shuss 2013
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    These facts would make for a good law school exam question