Gigaton: A track by track review, by Pearl Jam standards

vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
edited April 2020 in The Porch

Gigaton

1. Who Ever Said: Solid opener, interesting message, apparently the band did not "give up on satisfaction", as they still have important things to say.
- As an album opener this one is right there with the likes of Last Exit and Breakerfall, 6th out of 11

2. Superblood Wolfmoon: Super catchy, easy to listen to, fun rocker. Can't wait to blare this one while driving on a hot summers day.
- The second slot in the catalog has some massive tunes, this one comes in at 4th out of 11, after Even Flow, Animal, Faithful

3. Dance of the Clarvoiyants: Epic song ,that will only gain importance and stature as time passes.
- A trio of untouchables at the three spot(Alive, Daughter, Who You Are), again this one slots in at 4th out 11

4. Quick Escape: As close as they will ever get to "classic" PJ, timely storytelling, best chorus in a very long time.
- The clean-up spot is where quite a few gems call home, as a result this one is 8th out of 11 

5. Alright: This to me is a song that will continue to grow with time. The message is again very timely and profound.
- 5th is once again a tough spot, so many epic tunes, which makes this fall to 8th out of 11

6. Seven O'Clock: Instant classic. This song is amazing on every level.
- I know this will ruffle alot of feathers, but this to me is 1st out of 11

7. Never Destination: Solid PJ rocker, I think it will be great live.
- Tough sledding at 7, 9th out 11

8. Take the Long Way: Another solid rocker, a bit of a different sound, great guitar solo.
- The catalog is so deep, this would be much higher for a weaker band, 7th out of 11

9. Buckle Up: It's been awhile since they have been this risky, but it works well.
- 7th out of 11

10. Comes Then Goes: Any other band and this is an instant top 5.
- But we are talking about Pearl Jam, 6th out 11

11. Retrograde: Another triumph, this to me is a song that only Pearl Jam could create, this is a song that shows the band has been together for along time.
- This is a very, very, very, very good song 4th out 11

12. River Cross: This song is an anthem, this song cathartic, this song make me cry, this song makes me smile, this song makes me feel comfort, this song is beautiful.
- No more words, 1st out of 10

Average score: 5.41

For a band that has been together as long as they have, to put out an album of this magnitude at this point in their career, is remarkable.
Gigaton is beyond what anyone could have expected. It once again provides a soundtrack to the times, proving that Pearl Jam has never lost its ability to understand the world around them, to process it and then to create music that expresses and captures it so poignantly.
This album will become a time capsule, that generations to come will be able to listen to and understand what we are all currently experiencing.  

Thank you Ed, Jeff, Matt, Mike, Stone and Boom
Post edited by vzouzal on

Comments

• TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    Great post OP! Cool way to compare the album. Track by track! 
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    I really wish I was hearing what everyone else seems to be hearing.