Which album started Pearl Jam's "latter days"

2»

Comments

• Backspacer was the first album of the second era PJ for me.  
    From 2007 onwards they started the short burst of 6 weeks touring.  Certainly the sound on BS and LB was discernably more polished and the songs a had a certain feel that was different. 

• TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,365
    Riot act. 

The 2000 tour was the fork in the road.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • jjm33jjm33 Posts: 201
    I’m hoping that Gigaton started their, ‘latter days” and in 20 years we will look at that period fondly. 

I group their album periods as:
    Ten through Vitalogy (birth)

No Code and Yield (growing up, maturing)

Binaural and Riot Act (these two are a departure from previous, but significantly different and better than Avocado forward)

Avocado through LB (weakest stretch)

Gigaton (rebirth, damn do I love this album)

I really hope that the next album or two make Gigaton forward seem like a grouping and not that they slide back into the Avocado through LB grouping. 

• bosshogg18bosshogg18 Posts: 1,094
    rider10 said:
    I see Pearl jam as having 3 distinct Eras. 

1. Ten through Yield

2. Binaural through Self Titled

3. Backspacer through Gigaton

So to answer your Question I see Backspacer as the beginning of their latter era.
    Totally agree with this.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    Backspacer was when it felt like they'd moved into a different phase of their careers. 

Yep. The target tie in promo, the decidedly cheesey and fun songs, and a band that just seemed to be having more fun emerged.
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    I don’t understand the hate for Backspacer (aside from Johnny Guitar, which is awful.) It’s a fav of mine.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    PeterED said:
    I don’t understand the hate for Backspacer (aside from Johnny Guitar, which is awful.) It’s a fav of mine.
    Me either.  very underrated album imo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Backspace>Gigaton 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    Long Red said:
    Binaural...first album I really didn't care for after first listen and still really don't like it very much
    Guys, guys, guys....

"Latter day albums" does not mean "the albums I don't like for personal reasons."

This is about the album that marks a shift in the band's approach to personal expression, as perceived by you, the listener. A change in tone, a change in promotion, a change in overall aesthetic, a growth or maturity. 
    I think it definitely was a shift in that the songs took on a different tone and structure and for me that didn't resonate.
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    Yield was first Matt Cameron album btw, for me Riot Act has various songs that could fit in with 90s albums (for example Save You, Thumbing, I am mine), Advocado has some too (Life Wasted, World Wide, Gone) - Backspacer is latter with songs that don’t really fit, I don’t recall them playing any Backspacer songs last tour I went to (LB).
  • Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
    JF116983 said:
    Yield was first Matt Cameron album btw, for me Riot Act has various songs that could fit in with 90s albums (for example Save You, Thumbing, I am mine), Advocado has some too (Life Wasted, World Wide, Gone) - Backspacer is latter with songs that don’t really fit, I don’t recall them playing any Backspacer songs last tour I went to (LB).
    Jack Irons was still with the band for Yield. He left during the tour and Matt took over, with his first studio album being Binaural. 
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Riot Act and the keyboards?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,785
    Binaural for me.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Zod said:
    I don't really feel it's in half.  I feel likes it's in thirds.  Ten to Yield, Binaural to Avacado, and Backspacer to Gigaton

I kind of agree with this....but as I think about it...Yield might be the first of a phase 2. 

I mean....Yield.

So while I usually include Yield in that same group you did, maybe it's really the shift for the 2nd phase.

Ten-No Code
    Yield-Avocado
    Backspacer-Gigaton
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Binaural