Is Gigaton a concept album?

KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
Discuss. 😄
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• i don't think so.  like many of their albums, it does seem to have a general "direction" -- a group of songs that feel like they're linked thematically and musically.  for me, yield comes the closest to being a concept album.  but even there it isn't totally cohesive.  nice question.
    Give way to nature ...
  • rider10rider10 Posts: 41
    Based on SBWM and Never Destination I think it's an album about things being knocked off shelves.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,616
    There’s a theme for the most part, but I think of a concept album as telling a story from front-to-back with a more specific plot.  I’m not sure if that is the true definition of a concept album, but based on that I would have to say Gigaton is not.  Now if it were titled Gigatron and was about a Transformer looking toward world domination, slam dunk concept album.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    There’s a theme for the most part, but I think of a concept album as telling a story from front-to-back with a more specific plot.  I’m not sure if that is the true definition of a concept album, but based on that I would have to say Gigaton is not.  Now if it were titled Gigatron and was about a Transformer looking toward world domination, slam dunk concept album.
    Bwahahhahaaa
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Maybe not a concept album, but definitely as strong a theme as there has ever been on a PJ album. From the very first listen, I picked up that a good deal of the album is about dealing with the loss of Chris.  I believe the theory that he is the woman referenced in Wolfmoon and Never Destination, and, more obviously, Comes Then Goes is about him.  I also hear nods to Tom Petty musically throughout (Never Destination and the Pre-Verse part of Seven O'Clock).  The rest is simply about dealing with modern times. The transition from light to dark, while remembering what the light was, and knowing we can get back.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .