Retrograde is symbolic of Gigaton's superiority

Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a few days. This is a bit long. So, if you bother to read it, bear with me.

Personally, Gigaton hit me harder and more immediately than the last two albums. Sure, I can chalk that up to opinion and preference. But why this collection of songs more than the songs on Lightning Bolt or Backspacer? After all, it's the same band. The same songwriters.

Then, I was listening to Retrograde and it hit me. It's the last 2 minutes or so of Retrograde, after the words have ceased. The band takes a song which to be honest, was/is probably one of the less than remarkable songs on the album, and elevates it to a place that they didn't achieve with any of the lesser songs on Lightning Bolt or Backspacer.

LB, in particular, take one of that album's lesser songs IMO, Swallowed Whole. It's a rather straightforward song. Nothing all that standout-ish about the lyrics or the music. It's not offensively bad by any means, but it's all in all forgettable. Same with Yellow Moon. Anyways, the band takes those songs and ends them at their natural conclusion. The words cease, the music closes. They don't uplift, they don't surprise. 

Retrograde could have very well been that kind of song. But the band doesn't let the song just end at it's natural conclusion. It picks back up and transforms into something far more meaningful than if it had just ended when the lyrics ceased. The ending uplifts and surprises in a way that other "filler" type songs on previous albums never did. Retrograde's ending makes the song leaps and bounds better than Swallowed Whole or Yellow Moon or Supersonic or other similar songs. 

Maybe I'm way off base. Maybe I'm hallucinating. Again, just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Comments

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    I‘ll take it ;) 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited April 2020
    I understand your point, but Yellow Moon is one of my favourite tracks off LB and Supersonic is a rocker on BS. Put BS on the turntable last night and it’s a solid (if unspectacular) record. One song that grabbed me last night was Force of Nature. 
    Supersonic is a cool song live... as was Speed of Sound (lucky enough to see that in Vienna 2014). 

Anyway, is Retrograde a good song? Absolutely. But I can say this honestly, there are only two Pearl Jam songs off of the studio releases I don’t want to hear.... live or otherwise and they are: Sleeping By Myself and Future Days. 

That’s how solid the catalogue is to me. Lost Dogs has some real duds IMO (Sweet Lou, Gremmie Outta Control, Dirty Frank) and Can’t Deny Me wasn’t killer (cowbells remind me of over-obnoxious hockey parents growing up... always beating on those stupid things in the crowd).

Even when I spin LB... I listen through those two songs.... hoping, hoping I will someday like them.  Just can’t see it happening lol
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,871
    I really think FON is the best song on BS. 
    For me it’s The End. It’s a very personal connection with the song. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    This and Unthought Known (a bit overplayed imo live) are way ahead of everything else for me. 
  • edoconedocon Posts: 325
    Yes it's a  great song, however I feel it's one of the few PJ songs that didn't translate well to live shows. Saw it a few times on backspacer tour and it was a momentum killer each time. 
  • I love Yellow Moon and like Future Days, but I agree with your point, it seems a lot more conscious effort was put into Gigaton than LB or Backspacer, I'd say LB and BS are almost sister albums and if Gigaton had a sister it would be Avocado but I like Gigaton better than LB, BS or Avocado

I'd get if some didn't like Gigaton but there's certainly a lot of effort and thought been put into it
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    I hope I learn to love Retrograde (and Take the Long Way) as those two were my least favorite after a few listens.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • ... a very nice read and conclusion... and although I truly love BS and LB - and back then, I also had been just happy about these albums, I now see your point! I would like to draw the line that way: to me Pearljam has grown musically over the last 6 years and that kind of higher level in creativity and playing their instruments are now combined and released on Gigaton - ... just stunning, WOW and superior for now! 
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Hey, that's a cool post - and I know what you mean about this album resonating more than the last two. Retrograde really adds some light and space after Comes then Goes too, at the intro. It's a great sequence.  Although I would say that Retrograde sounds an awful lot like Amongst the Waves to me, but like you, I love it and I love the meaning behind the song too. Very cool. But I just had to comment on Swallowed Whole as it's my favourite song from LB by miles.  I see Future Days, Infallible and Let the records play as the less amazing songs on the record. Still good though.

Swallowed Whole brought me to tears when I first heard it. My Mum and Dad had both passed less than a year before LB came out...
    What Lies Beyond the grave, might be welcome change and will come, come what may, with no rest in peace, until that day...
    These lyrics hit the spot for me.  
    Yellow Moon also has a beautiful middle eight with poignent lyrics for me anyway!
    Supersonic - well that is filler in my opinion!! 
    Having read an interview with Josh Evans, I think the last two minutes of Retrograde have a lot to do with his as well as the band's production ideas.  
    I really get a sense that there's much more production this time around.  Hopefully the band do not come back in 15 years with a BOB redux because the work that Josh has done with them is outstanding.  
    Just my opinion though obviously - but SW still hits me every time I hear it - which most recently, was Saturday night!
  • Long RedLong Red Posts: 185
    Very cool. But I just had to comment on Swallowed Whole as it's my favourite song from LB by miles.  I see Future Days, Infallible and Let the records play as the less amazing songs on the record. Still good though.

Swallowed Whole brought me to tears when I first heard it. My Mum and Dad had both passed less than a year before LB came out...
    What Lies Beyond the grave, might be welcome change and will come, come what may, with no rest in peace, until that day...
    Yellow Moon also has a beautiful middle eight with poignent lyrics for me anyway!
    Having read an interview with Josh Evans, I think the last two minutes of Retrograde have a lot to do with his as well as the band's production ideas.  
    I really get a sense that there's much more production this time around.  Hopefully the band do not come back in 15 years with a BOB redux because the work that Josh has done with them is outstanding.  
    Just my opinion though obviously - but SW still hits me every time I hear it - which most recently, was Saturday night!
    Totally see what you're saying with that part of SW. In truth, I forgot about the words in the bridge. I just listened and it takes take the song to a different level. I stand corrected. Lets pretend I said Let The Records Play or Future Days instead. 
  • Long Red said:
    Very cool. But I just had to comment on Swallowed Whole as it's my favourite song from LB by miles.  I see Future Days, Infallible and Let the records play as the less amazing songs on the record. Still good though.

Totally see what you're saying with that part of SW. In truth, I forgot about the words in the bridge. I just listened and it takes take the song to a different level. I stand corrected. Lets pretend I said Let The Records Play or Future Days instead. 
    Oh man - I just read my post - Captain Heavy! Sorry about that... 
     But I do completely agree with you on  Gigaton being far superior to both BS and LB.
    Completely and utterly far ahead.  And again, sorry about that!
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    I agree with the first comment. They do the same thing with Who Ever Said - just as you think the song is over they go into a jam (that hopefully will be a lot longer live). 

Present Tense from No Code has the same thing about it. 
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    This track could be an extra 2 minutes long. Hopefully it gets extended live 
    "So much it dont show"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    Retrograde sounds like a LB reject.  Sappy sound.  Worst song on the album.  But to each their own.  I really don't see the love for it, skip it 75% of the time. But then again, I love Buckle Up!  

I've been listening a ton to this album and it's amazing.  Waiting a while to decide where it fits in the PJ catalog for me.   
    hippiemom = goodness
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,871
    Retrograde sounds like a LB reject.  Sappy sound.  Worst song on the album.  But to each their own.  I really don't see the love for it, skip it 75% of the time. But then again, I love Buckle Up!  

I've been listening a ton to this album and it's amazing.  Waiting a while to decide where it fits in the PJ catalog for me.   
    Wrong, IMO
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355

Wrong, IMO
    Probably ;)

Enjoy!
    hippiemom = goodness
    Retrograde didn’t grab me until I heard it tonight on the turntable. This is a solid album. All meat...no filler 
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    It's been a few weeks and I have changing opinions about some of the songs. Retrograde was a pleasant surprise when I heard it for the first time and continues to blow me away every time. My 15-year-old daughter loves it. She asked to this was and said it's a really good song. When I heard it for the first time, the first thing that came to my mind was "Hard to Imagine".  It has somewhat of a similar guitar style though not the same. To the person who said it sounds like Amongst the waves, I don't hear that it all. In that uplifting part in the last couple of minutes, one thing that comes to mind is "Hard Sun" - Ed solo. It just kind of soars out there.  
    When I first heard Gigaton, my big WTF moment was "Buckle up".  The beat and with that clicking and clanking. The first thing that came to mind was that 1950s Disney song/video a cowboy he needs a horse which basically shows a cartoon kid on one of those horse head broomstick toys of course except for the lyrics. I'm actually starting to like that song now. Maybe it's like going to the beach when the waters really cold and then once you get used to it it feels great.
    The one I'm starting to like less is the closer, "River Cross".  Sometimes I love it and sometimes I wish that part where he repeats "can't hold me down/won't hold this down" could be shortened, and for some reason it sounds like to me that last part "share the light won't hold us down" was recorded separately. It just sounds like his voice has a different tone, like it was in another session, on another day, in another place, or there is some other setting that was slightly different. Some days I just love that song at some days I want to skip over it. Back to topic, I think Retrograde is really amazing.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Retrograde is a highlight and would have been great as track 2 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,711
    The first thing that came to mind was that 1950s Disney song/video a cowboy he needs a horse which basically shows a cartoon kid on one of those horse head broomstick toys of course except for the lyrics.

┏┓
    ┃┃╱╲ In this
    ┃╱╱╲╲ house
    ╱╱╭╮╲╲ this song
    ▔▏┗┛▕▔ is such
    ╱▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔╲
    A Fucking Jam
    ╱╱┏┳┓╭╮┏┳┓ ╲╲
    ▔▏┗┻┛┃┃┗┻┛▕▔
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    I wish they did that with Alright. I love that song...but it just kinda ends, and I want more.
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • LedbetterdaysLedbetterdays Posts: 555
    edited April 2020
    I had recently stated somewhere that Retrograde was a reboot of Sirens (Mike song, a little cheesy, acoustic, etc.) except it had a better ending that feels like it belongs on Binaural, so to the OP I agree that time and again on this album that many of the endings are so solid. Seven O'Clock, Never Destination, DOTC and I think it all has to do with Josh allowing for some experimentation and not keeping things so tidy.
    Touring Fan since 1996
    I wish they did that with Alright. I love that song...but it just kinda ends, and I want more.
    Gord Downie once said the sign of a great song is when it leaves the listener wanting more.  Gordie is right... and Alright is a great song that leaves me wanting more as well.

It’s like Three Days by Jane’s Addiction. It’s like 11 minutes long and I’m still rocking out and wanting more when it’s over.  Stairway to Heaven is like that as well.  
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    It gets quite a bit of airplay on Sun Radio out of Austin TX (great ad free radio station to check out if you listen to radio over internet)
  • JC29866JC29866 Posts: 85
    While I agree the outtro of Retrograde is the best part of the song, if does not save the song from being bad.  What if they had just used the ending of Retrograde as an interlude between the final songs?  Much more effective perhaps
  • LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 791
    over-rated
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,610
    Sorry, but IMO it's the worst song on the album :(