Record Player Suggestions?

I was thinking of finally dipping my toe into the vinyl waters (it doesn’t seem to be going away, lol). I was wondering if some of you folks had a suggestion for a good starter record player. 
Would like it to be good quality and reasonably priced. Quality is more important to me than cheapness. I want the thing to work properly and sound good more than anything. It should be a stand alone unit w/ speakers. Since the kids came along, I don’t even have a sound system set up. Ugh. 
Anyway, appreciate the help. 
“Sometimes wonder if they know that I’ve gone, but I’m drifting, drifting along”

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Anything but cheap stuff like Crosleys.  Cheap record players are hard on records, cause inner groove wear, and sound like crap.  I wouldn't recommend anything new under $400 although I have heard some possibly good arguments for Audio-Technica players in the $250 range.   I'm mostly happy with my $400 ProJect Carbon Debut.   We're it not for my current economic hit, I'd be seriously considering a Rega Planar 3 with Elys cartidge but at $1145, that's just not in the cards for me any more.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    I have recently been contemplating getting a new record player as well. I have VERY little knowledge of record players but I like the aesthetics of the suitcase looking record players. 

There are also probably only 75-100 records I'd want to buy, but I don't know that I would drop that kind of money on them. I was at an antique shop back in January. Came across A copy of Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Rust Never Sleeps. A top 10 album for me...maybe top 5. I've just loved it since the late 90's. The sleeve was pretty beat up and the ask was still $35. Seemed salty to me.

Sorry I offer no values input to the original post. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    I have recently been contemplating getting a new record player as well. I have VERY little knowledge of record players but I like the aesthetics of the suitcase looking record players. 

There are also probably only 75-100 records I'd want to buy, but I don't know that I would drop that kind of money on them. I was at an antique shop back in January. Came across A copy of Neil Young and Crazy Horse: Rust Never Sleeps. A top 10 album for me...maybe top 5. I've just loved it since the late 90's. The sleeve was pretty beat up and the ask was still $35. Seemed salty to me.

Sorry I offer no values input to the original post. 
    The all in one "suitcase" or school box record players are actually a lot of fun for playing old beaters that you wouldn't want to put a quality stylus onto, but if you plan on purchasing new, near mint or even VG+ LPs and want them to sound good and last, you're better off getting a quality turn table with separate amp and speakers.

Antique shops notoriously over-price vinyl records.  In the 55 years or so I've been purchasing records I think I may have only ever bought one record from an antique shop.  Better to find a good record shop (when they re-open).   If you don't have one near enough and are going to shop on line, check out Discogs.   I think generally there are better sellers there than the alternative sites and the ratings for Discogs sellers are generally more dependable.  But of course, buying on line is always a bit risky until you find some reputable sellers.  Carefully reading the buyer feedback comments for various sellers will help you get there more quickly.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    I have a project debut carbon. I don't know how much they cost nowadays but I've been very happy with it for the past 6 years or so. I did upgrade to the acrylic platter after a few months though.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    I got an Audio Technica LP120.  Solid turntable for the price.
    The cartridge that comes with it isn't the best, so I swapped it out for a Nagaoka MP110.  Big difference in sound quality with the Nagaoka cart!