& i thought Back Spacer was average!!!

turns out way better than the new album... but like everything in life... nothing last forever....not even Covid-19

Comments

• kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,613
    These trolls are the greatest.
  • Lurgee21Lurgee21 Posts: 16
    was it something someone said?
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 834
    edited April 2020
    kramer73 said:
    T
    Apologies. Deleting a pointless comment.
    Post edited by kaw753 on
    kaw753 said:
    kramer73 said:
    The best thing to do is transition the thread to a discussion about Trump.

i doubt you have any intellect about politics ... but good for u
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    edited April 2020
    I did the most punk rock thing I could think of a few nights before the Gigaton release.  Most of the people I know had found the leak and were talking about it, but I wanted to hear it on the release day...  so, I listed to Backspacer.  And you know what?  It killed.  I remember the tour in support of this album and all the stops I was able to make and I thought it crushed it then and I re-fell in love with it now!  All this revisionist history about albums that weren't that good is so funny to me.  I remember everyone around me, anyway, digging those shows and those songs.  If I have a complaint, it was that the album was too short- but in a way, that was the beauty of it too.  I really hope the band doesn't fall into threads like these and keeps all of those songs in rotation where and whenever the tour starts again!  AND Gigaton is incredible as well- can't wait to hear those songs live..
    Post edited by mdgsolo on
    sounds like someone got a thick milkshake along with a pair of a brand new knee pads = for this endorsement
    dont be so serious
  • MoonpigMoonpig Posts: 659
    mdgsolo said:
    I did the most punk rock thing I could think of a few nights before the Gigaton release.  Most of the people I know had found the leak and were talking about it, but I wanted to hear it on the release day...  so, I listed to Backspacer.  And you know what?  It killed.  I remember the tour in support of this album and all the stops I was able to make and I thought it crushed it then and I re-fell in love with it now!  All this revisionist history about albums that weren't that good is so funny to me.  I remember everyone around me, anyway, digging those shows and those songs.  If I have a complaint, it was that the album was too short- but in a way, that was the beauty of it too.  I really hope the band doesn't fall into threads like these and keeps all of those songs in rotation where and whenever the tour starts again!  AND Gigaton is incredible as well- can't wait to hear those songs live..
    Hard to disagree with this. I remember when No Code dropped, there was carnage, people lining up to shit on the album, I believe the band lost a lot of fans.

Riot Act, I'm sure someone could pull the old thread, panned by a lot of fans. 

Many years later and these albums are held up by many as solid staples of the band's creativity and eagerness to experiment.

Time rounds all edges I guess.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    Please mods can you just combine all these threads into the fan/reviews thread, thanks 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,012
    edited April 2020
    Lurgee21 said:
    turns out way better than the new album... but like everything in life... nothing last forever....not even Covid-19
    You had 8 posts when you posted this.
    You are a troll

btw: I think it's their best album in years.
    Post edited by ski-bum on
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,361
    Backspacer is a pretty good album IMO.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    Backspacer has some good song but overall it’s just a little weak, and the short run time doesn’t help. I don’t mind the short punk tunes like supersonic etc, but the one two punch of unthought/amongst is usually what I revisit on the album
    Lurgee21 said:
    was it something someone said?
    Yes, you.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,526
    mdgsolo said:
    I have told similar stories about Binaural and Riot Act.  Both albums that I listened to once and wasn't real impressed.  Then, years later, they are my favorite albums.  

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Posts: 2,549
    Yeah let’s consolidate these threads into one “The band hates my president” topic
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    6th fav—Gigaton
    7th fav—Backspacer
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    Lurgee21 said:
    Not even close, The Gigaton songs as a whole stack up to Yield, Backspacer isn't in that league 
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,871
    Should we drug test people on here?
  • CS160564CS160564 Posts: 34
    Strangely the three albums I hardly listen to now are Ten, Vitalogy and Backspacer.  Having said that I listen to the songs from Ten still but on live albums instead as I find the original production a bit dated.  Back in the day I thought Vitalogy was a masterpiece but I now much prefer No Code, Yeild and Lighting Bolt.  So I guess tastes change.  I really like the songs from Riot Act  but prefer them in isolation rather than listening as an album as I find it a bit long.  Backspacer has always been their weakest album to me.  This ones growing on me.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    love Backspacer.

PJ set off to Hollywood to make a lean, hook heavy, accessible record....and they accomplished their goal.
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,030
    love Backspacer.

PJ set off to Hollywood to make a lean, hook heavy, accessible record....and they accomplished their goal.
    It’s a fun album, the tour was great too. Other than Johnny Guitar and Supersonic I still enjoy them all
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    I think people are tasking this wrong. The OP is trying to say that Gogaton is a masterpiece, so their other work when compared may seem average next to Gigaton. I get it. I agree. I have trouble sometimes making my point to. All good. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
    densan said:
    I think people are tasking this wrong. The OP is trying to say that Gogaton is a masterpiece, so their other work when compared may seem average next to Gigaton. I get it. I agree. I have trouble sometimes making my point to. All good. 
    I'm having a hard time agreeing with you.  It seems very clear what he is saying.  
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    edited April 2020
    kramer73 said:
    densan said:
    I'm having a hard time agreeing with you.  It seems very clear what he is saying.  
    No doubt. I hear you kramer73 and respect what you are saying. For me, instead of allowing myself to be manipulated by someone fucking with my band and us, I made my point and got my thoughts heard. Just a different approach. It was more for the op to say wtf. Not you. :)

Post edited by densan on
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    The backspacer tours were fun as hell. Can’t wait to see Gigaton live. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,871
    densan said:
    I agree
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    densan said:
    I'm trying to see how you inferred that but the OP seems to clearly state that backspacer looks like a great album when compared to gigaton
    well since gigasuck turned out to be a disappointment, i opened my mtv unplugged and saw it came with a download code... if anyone one would like to have it , let me know, but please be someone who doesn't have the album in any format. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,068
    I would love that dl if available!