Your PJ Journey

CS160564CS160564 Posts: 34
edited April 2020 in The Porch
New album releases are always such an interesting time to share opinion and now (with this isolation) perhaps more so than ever.  I love seeing the differences of opinion on the board and despite the various arguments that take place, what always comes across is the importance of this band to each of us.  So I wanted to create a post to see if people could share what makes this band so special to them and why you think they are still relevant to you after such a journey.

For me: I became a fan at the first single ‘Alive’. At the time it was probably the first new music I’d listened to for a year or so that really registered with me.  I loved their mix of classic rock, puck rock and non-hair rock/prog-rock credentials.  

I felt like I’ve grown up with the band.  My wife and I fell in love and built our lives to their music.  At the Wembley gig in the mid-noughties when they played ‘Alive’ I felt like I’d survived all that teenage angst and had too made it through.  They resonate so much!

In 2018 I took my teenage daughters to see them at the O2 in London and they described it as the best day of their lives.  (‘Daughter’ an obvious highlight that particular night)
Other memories such as us all singing ‘Black’ at Leeds on the Lightning Bolt tour etc. made me choked up.

In short, this band has always challenge me, and my changing tastes seem to be ready for their experimentation, plus I still want to rock.  They’ve never let me down!

This is the band that defines my adult life...I’d love to hear your stories.
Post edited by CS160564 on

Comments

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for sharing.

I was love at first listen circa 91.  Heard Evenflow, bought the album,  and became a fan.   I became a fanatic after seeing them live for the first time in Chicago Stadium 1994.  I had seen a lot of great metal acts and alt rock acts up to that day, but what immediately vaulted  PJ to the top of my list was their effort to connect with  local fans.  None of the other bands did more than yell hello Chicago, thanks Chicago......but Pearl Jam was different.  Ed was telling stories about local things and  how he grew up in the area, he sang a commercial jingle for a local carpet company, Empire Carpet, to prove it.  It was:
     588 23 hundred....Empireeeee. 
     I was sold at that moment this band cared to related to us,  wanted the cheap pops, but worked hard to earn them.  Ed being able to sit at the table with us Chicagoans and shoot the shit about growing up made it a family experience , not just a show.  He felt real, vunerable, accessible, and the guys in the band would just listen as intrigued  as we were.  We were all on the ride together.

I don't always agree with the band on social issues or politics, but despite occasional  differences,  I always know they care.  Epic always unique 2-3 hour shows doesn't hurt either
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    CS160564 said:

I’m 2028 I took my teenage daughters to see them at the O2 in London and they described it as the best day of their lives.  (‘Daughter’ an obvious highlight that particular night)

2028, eh? Have we cured the virus by then? Please tell us some good news from the future!