Gigaton is a Masterpiece

mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
My initial impression was meh for many reasons mentioned.  But I gotta say now after several listens---- this album is brilliant!  You really have to listen to it with some good headphones.  The production is top notch, these songs are so rich and complex, eddie's voice, every band member is on fire.  It is such an atmospheric album like none other.  This is a very evolved PJ and it is almost like the last 3 albums (Avocado and on---including ed solos) were to steps to this masterpiece.  It isn't just experimentation for the sake of experimenting....it is almost like finding their own sound again.  These songs are going to be out of this world live btw.

It is so weird because it is first time I've ever been so meh after the first couple listens to a new album.

Can't wait for the second part---if this is truly the first part of a double album it really will be mind blowing! 

I also have a theory that they plan or planned on playing this entire album at all or many of the shows.  It really needs to be done because after my listen last night I was like wow this is album is like telling a story, it is like a show itself.  The way they have connected the songs with obscure sounds and they just flow into each....They are channeling everything no this album and there are definitely alot of Pink Floyd vibes in the way the songs connect.  This is also why there is a visual movie for it.

Just my 2 cents.
96 - Ft Lauderdale
98 - ATL; WPB I & II
00 - WPB I & II
03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
04 - Boston VFC I & II
05 - Borgata II
08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
10 - CLE
12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
14 - Memphis
16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II

Comments

• JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    12 Gigaton songs at every show. Plus 3 or so covers leaves only 15 other PJ songs. Really dig the album but no thanks to playing full album every show
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    Best album in 22 years IMO.
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Not necessarily every show but they may have had it planned for quite a few shows this cancelled tour...I can tell you that I'd like to see the entire album played and I would be totally fine with going to multiple shows where it was played with 20 different songs
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    But i'm not saying it is a matter of what you or I want....there is a less than 0 probability it was the plan for the first leg and the release of the album...just a theory
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    mcrok said:
    My initial impression was meh for many reasons mentioned.  But I gotta say now after several listens---- this album is brilliant!  You really have to listen to it with some good headphones.  The production is top notch, these songs are so rich and complex, eddie's voice, every band member is on fire.  It is such an atmospheric album like none other.  This is a very evolved PJ and it is almost like the last 3 albums (Avocado and on---including ed solos) were to steps to this masterpiece.  It isn't just experimentation for the sake of experimenting....it is almost like finding their own sound again.  These songs are going to be out of this world live btw.

It is so weird because it is first time I've ever been so meh after the first couple listens to a new album.

Can't wait for the second part---if this is truly the first part of a double album it really will be mind blowing! 

I also have a theory that they plan or planned on playing this entire album at all or many of the shows.  It really needs to be done because after my listen last night I was like wow this is album is like telling a story, it is like a show itself.  The way they have connected the songs with obscure sounds and they just flow into each....They are channeling everything no this album and there are definitely alot of Pink Floyd vibes in the way the songs connect.  This is also why there is a visual movie for it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Great post. I feel a lot of these same things. I get the Pink Floyd vibes (in a great way) often when listening to Gigaton. And your line about experimental is perfect. Gigaton is experimental but IT WORKS!!
  • southernmanfansouthernmanfan Posts: 1,019
    The more I listen the more I have to agree....
    rustedsigns
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I would be 100% happy if I went to see them and they played every song.  Love this album, man.  

I was listening to it yesterday and laughing because it's so good.  It's ridiculous.  
  • William WallaceWilliam Wallace Posts: 553
    edited September 2020
    Delete
    Post edited by William Wallace on
  • No arguments here 😘