River Cross

One of the MOST BEAUTIFUL songs I have ever listened to.
Take me piece by piece.....
Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,427

And maybe one day soon. Much sooner than later, hopefully.

I wont sob every time I listen to it.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    Speedy has spoken! 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    That whole lions paw part I particularly love

great closer
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Amazing song and closer. 
  • My favorite song on the album.
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 834
    Peter Gabrielesque.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    I cried the other night listening to it 😢 

it’s my second favorite so far right behind Quick Escape. 

River Cross is my 13 year olds favorite  
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited April 2020
    This one feels like the 2nd to last song at a show. Everyone singing along (share the light, won’t hold us down), tears streaming, and everyone’s flashlights waving...And then,

Baba O’Riley
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Love this track.  Wasn’t as excited with the commercial clip and the live video from Ohana but love it.
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 965
    JUST AMAZING.  Could be a great opener or closer.

Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • I see it as an encore 1 song, oh man can’t wait to see some shows!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,152
    Should have had Neil Young singing backup.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • See this is my least favorite song on the album next to Buckle up but I’ll give it a bunch more spins to see if I can get into it like you guys !! 
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    I'm digging the entire album, but oh man. this is the one song I skip on the album and can't get into. I'm missing something apparently.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,872
    It’s great. Best closer since inside job
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    It’s great. Best closer since inside job
    So you are saying it is a bad closer.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    I there someone breathing in the background the whole song or is that a pump organ sound?
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Fuck the end of Retrograde still gets me eh. Amazing. River Cross is a great closer if you get on the same wavelength as its intensity but it's actually hard to get there for me as it's a come down from how good Retrograde is.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    I’ve now fought back tears twice to River Cross. The last minute of Retrograde into it is an amazing finish to an amazing record
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    It’s in my bottom tier of songs from the new album, but it guts me every time.  There is something about that I love.  There has not been one time I haven’t cried while listening for some reason.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC Posts: 2,616
    This lyric gives me chills.

Let it be a lie that all futures die”
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • JC29866JC29866 Posts: 85
    Beauty in the performance, instrumentation, lyrics, and production.  Feels eerily and especially poignant in these times.  One of the best songs on the album, and Best album closer since Parting Ways. 
  • se7v7ense7v7en Posts: 329
    edited April 2020
    Nitro said:
    I'm digging the entire album, but oh man. this is the one song I skip on the album and can't get into. I'm missing something apparently.
    That's like reading a book and skipping the final 10 pages.  To me the reason it resonates so deeply is that the whole album seems to leading you to this conclusion. 
    In fact If someone asked me to detail the themes of Gigaton, I would just read the lyrics to River Cross
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    10 / 10 for me. My personal favorite on the record and one of the first PJ songs in a while that has brought on tears. I won't get through this dry-eyed in concert. 

Generally, I think this is an incredible record overall. There's a distinct theme of mortality and the negative impact we, as humans, have had on the planet in recent history. But it's presented in a lot of different ways and tinged with enough hope to not sound purely pessimistic.

What I love about River Cross is the explosion of hope at the end. "With all this talk of rapture / look around at the promise now / here and now / Can't hold me down / Can't hold me down / Live it out / Let it out / Get it out / Shout it out / Won't hold us down / Won't hold us down"

To me, that's EXACTLY what we're all going through right now with COVID-19, quarantine, political nonsense, etc. It's rough, it's scary, and we're all anxious but we're going to pull through. That's the way I feel, at least.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    kaw753 said:
    Peter Gabrielesque.
    Absolutely, surprised more people haven't mentioned it.  Perfect closing song.
  • NitroNitro Posts: 265
    se7v7en said:
    Nitro said:
    That's like reading a book and skipping the final 10 pages.  To me the reason it resonates so deeply is that the whole album seems to leading you to this conclusion. 
    In fact If someone asked me to detail the themes of Gigaton, I would just read the lyrics to River Cross
    Not sure. This is true to an extent if you are judging a song as a part of the whole. But my opinion is based upon how I feel about the song in a vacuum. I'm not thinking of the song as a "theme of Gigaton", I'm listening to it as a song on its own. I can listen to each song on its own and not tie it into the overall theme of anything, and enjoy each one to different levels.It does have some interesting parts and lyrically is nice, so I can appreciate it though.