Listening first without checking out lyrics. Anyone else?

As a rule, I like to digest an album by first listening to it in entirety before delving into the lyrics, messages and the meaning of songs. In other words to take it in musically first. 

I am into about 5 listens of Gigaton now and checked out the words of 7 o‘ clock earlier today. They are loaded lyrics. Ed brings them to life. I’m not sure that if anyone else sang those lyrics that they would sound as pleasurable and convincing. They are very deep and meaningful words. 

I must say That Whoever Said and 7 o’ clock are my early favs. 

Loving the album. The production is amazing. 

Well done Pearl Jam and Josh Evans! 
rustedsigns

Comments

• WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 247
    Funny, I'm the opposite, always read along (if included) during first listen. However, I haven't gotten my CD yet, I've only been able to stream on Amazon since that's where I bought it.

Even though I know the lyrics are on the site, I still decided to just listen to this one first...which was okay but weird, I kept thinking "Wait, what did he say there?" and it was just confusing and strange. But I hope to get my CD in a day or two, and finally listen along with the lyric book, as I've done since the second album. (Ten I just listened to the first time, because a friend gave it to me and said I HAD to listen to it, I would LOVE it - as he had for many other albums that weren't always that great ; ) - but that time he sure was right.

And, for us old fucks, it was certainly harder trying to listen along with lyrics for the first few albums; some songs had no lyrics ("Release," "Corduroy") some had partial ("Black," a few of the others on the second album), there was the whole No Code Polaroid thing where you only got nine of the 13 song cards, and even if you got them all not every one had lyrics (or very minimal, like "Smile").