Need some help with Buckle Up

2»

Comments

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    rummy said:
    Reminds me of Parachutes.
    Hadn’t thought of this but maybe that’s why I love it so much. 
    Oh, that's right....that song is special to you!
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 220
    Buckle Up.  I never imagined there’d be a Pearl Jam song with lyrics of “bed sores and sponge baths”.., STONE? WTF? —-/
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    Buckle Up.  I never imagined there’d be a Pearl Jam song with lyrics of “bed sores and sponge baths”.., STONE? WTF? —-/
    What about an auctioned forearm and whiskers in the sink?
  • jam_fanjjam_fanj Posts: 46
    The beginning of this song reminds me of “My Name is Jonas” from Weezer. 
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    edited April 2020
    The Hippocratic Oath implies first do no harm, so there is a hint. 

It’s just that lyric about the murderer that I’m struggling to really wrap my head around. I do like the thought about Mother Earth and the son being responsible for her wounds....that might be the implication.  

It’s not really a song I like, but I always love trying to read their lyrics and interpret.  
    Post edited by Hankj25 on
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,480
    ed243421 said:
    My take:

the “blood on his hands” is the guilt of human damage to the earth

”the stain of a human”

narrator has realized this from his “mother’s wrath” & her warning signs

“Drapes pulled back, reveal her wound. Boy on her lap, a murder groomed” is realization that our “mother” is dying and we are to blame.

“antiquities lost....fall on the tile” is the nirvana that the earth once was may be lost forever without immediate action.

Here’s my take but what do I know! (And don’t have all the lyrics in front of me).

Is the mother really earth or Mother Nature and the murderer groomed just the stand in for anybody polluting the earth? The last verse is really the environment on its last leg?

Which I could be completely off base and it’s a crazy kid! 
    I really like the ‘Mother Earth’ interpretation of this song
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    ONE BUCKLE UP A DAY,
    KEEPS THE DOCTORS AWAY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    Love this tune
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited April 2020
    First, one the best things about these songs is they can mean different things to different folks. 

I was confused about verse 1 and 3 with the murder references, but it makes sense when considering having to disconnect a loved one from life support and feeling guilty.

the rest of the song made me think about my father in law who passed a couple years ago from Alzheimer’s. My wife and I took care of him the last several years, and if you ever have to, or already had to, take care of an elderly parent with a terminal disease, that do no harm and buckle up line will hit home harder than you could imagine. 
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,704
    I have to say, I am warming up to this song. The past few days I have been listening to the album while out running. Today, Buckle Up came on and it gave me a spring in my step. The rhythm of it is perfect for running.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    I think the lyrics are a metaphor and actually brilliant!
    Bed sores are typically created by someone laying in bed in one position for awhile.
    Sponge baths are typically given to someone who is unable to take a shower for a variety of reasons.

These lyrics could apply to either interpretation of the song.
    Humans have been stagnant too long regarding:
    Not doing enough about the environment (bed sores) or giving a half hearted attempt to recycle, save gas, etc (sponge baths)
    Not doing enough about the abuse (bed sores) or they give a half hearted attempt to do something to prevent the abuse (sponge baths)

Either way, Stone rocks!

• BrushdailyBrushdaily Marin County Posts: 194
    It's Stone's fault.
  • When Ed sings "buckle up" my brain changes the lyrics to "Uncle Buck." (John Candy) It's all I hear now when I listen to the song. MAKE IT STOP!! Then today on Dance of Clairvoyants instead of "when every tomorrow is the same as before" I heard "when every tomato's the same as before."
  • ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    Funny, I'm hearing "Stand back from the scarecrow" on DOTC. Maybe we need a Misheard Gigaton Lyrics thread.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited April 2020
    I just can't seem to stop thinking that it sounds like a public service announcement about buckling your seatbelt. It's that line, "them put your seatbelt on." I know it's something else of course, but that line just throws me way off. I don't totally dislike the song and wouldn't skip it, but I could do without it. It is the only song on the album that I don't love.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    I think the lyrics are a metaphor and actually brilliant!
    Bed sores are typically created by someone laying in bed in one position for awhile.
    Sponge baths are typically given to someone who is unable to take a shower for a variety of reasons.

These lyrics could apply to either interpretation of the song.
    Humans have been stagnant too long regarding:
    Not doing enough about the environment (bed sores) or giving a half hearted attempt to recycle, save gas, etc (sponge baths)
    Not doing enough about the abuse (bed sores) or they give a half hearted attempt to do something to prevent the abuse (sponge baths)

Either way, Stone rocks!

I don't know my friend! No matter how much you polish a turd it is still a turd. This music is beautiful and Eddie does a great job singing it but the lyrics just don't cut it for me. I have no problem giving Stone a pass on this one. No shame in a guy taking an album off in a 30 year career.
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    One of my favorites off the album
    "So much it dont show"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,410
    release00 said:
    One of my favorites off the album
    Same here
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    This song will never be played live
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    Cridder said:
    I highly doubt that. I can’t think of a single studio album track that’s never been played live with the exception of some of the Vitalogy fillers. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    RiotZact said:
    Cridder said:
    I highly doubt that. I can’t think of a single studio album track that’s never been played live with the exception of some of the Vitalogy fillers. 
    I personally think it is the perfect song to open up an encore full of fast, rocking songs
    hippiemom = goodness
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    RiotZact said:
    Cridder said:
    I personally think it is the perfect song to open up an encore full of fast, rocking songs
    I could see that! I don’t think it will be played much even in the next couple years, and after the Gigaton tours it could disappear, but it will be played live. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,163
    Reading some of these interpretations really helped me understand the song and appreciate it more! Thanks everyone. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,574
    I've grown to like and appreciate this song. Took 10+ listens, but I don't want to skip it anymore.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    Cridder said:
    It’s a perfect piss break song.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23