Options

Kid with "Pearl Jam" hat in NBC Covid19 Stranded Abroad story....

Watching NBC Evening News and they were doing a story on Americans Stranded Abroad because of Covid-19  and this image flashed the screen..

They were talking specifically about Peru closing....

Real?..Anyone know someone stranded?  .Can we help? 

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    That sucks poor folks I hope they get to come home soon..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    ::bump::  

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    They are probably better off where they are. Our healthcare sucks.

Hoping that everyone understands that now.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Probably right...  What do you expect when a "healthcare system" puts profit and greed above patients and workers.  

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    I wouldn’t say our healthcare sucks, it’s just expensive. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I wouldn’t say our healthcare sucks, it’s just expensive. 
    For you, it might be "just expensive"; for someone less fortunate, it's not even an option.

In my opinion, one informed by living with a health policy wonk for nearly 20 years now, that sucks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    dankind said:

What aspects of our healthcare system left us more vulnerable to a pandemic in your view?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

What aspects of our healthcare system left us more vulnerable to a pandemic in your view?
    Too many to list here, but most fall under the umbrella of inaccessibility (socioeconomic, distance, etc.) and ignorance (experts steamrolled for pet political projects and corporate coffers, etc.).

My take might be different if I weren't married to someone who works within the US healthcare policy system every day. I've been trying to get her to quit the sector for years now (since November 2016, to be exact)--my opinion being that the American people aren't worth her time. They made their beds, now let them die in them. She still believes that the US will have a "come to Jesus" moment, though. I'm merely wondering if this is it. In this case, she's the expert, and I'm just an asshole with an unpopular opinion.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Too many to list here, but most fall under the umbrella of inaccessibility (socioeconomic, distance, etc.) and ignorance (experts steamrolled for pet political projects and corporate coffers, etc.).

My take might be different if I weren't married to someone who works within the US healthcare policy system every day. I've been trying to get her to quit the sector for years now (since November 2016, to be exact)--my opinion being that the American people aren't worth her time. They made their beds, now let them die in them. She still believes that the US will have a "come to Jesus" moment, though. I'm merely wondering if this is it. In this case, she's the expert, and I'm just an asshole with an unpopular opinion.
    In THIS case?
    She night say that is always the case...
    ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

I asked because it's my area of expertise, too, although more on the practical day-to-day side. Based on your broad strokes I'm guessing we'd be in agreement about 50/50 if we really chopped it up.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Scattered system... no control.... no rules covers all...Corporations own hospitals , they make choices based on profit..

You don't fill up the storage rooms with PPEs in Jan or Feb because you don't want the quarterly earnings to look back for investors.

Our entire healthcare system is based on profit first... You will always be vulnerable with a system like this. 

• Options
    If we don't fight for Healthcare for hourly workers, like those who stock our groceries shelves, work in restaurants, healthcare industry, etc. etc... after this then it will never happen. It's time we stopped letting the Walmarts and Amazon's get away with this exploration of workers.. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

Scattered system... no control.... no rules covers all...Corporations own hospitals , they make choices based on profit..

You don't fill up the storage rooms with PPEs in Jan or Feb because you don't want the quarterly earnings to look back for investors.

Our entire healthcare system is based on profit first... You will always be vulnerable with a system like this. 
    The federal government and states clearly didn't have this stuff stocked and ready to distribute either. It's a leadership problem that transcends a simplistic private vs. public debate.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:
    myoung321 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

The federal government and states clearly didn't have this stuff stocked and ready to distribute either. It's a leadership problem that transcends a simplistic private vs. public debate.
    No, it's compounded by the leadership issue. To say it's simplistic is the problem.. It's not simplistic for a family that cannot afford private healthcare because they don't happen to work for a fortune 500 company.... or do work for one and the Laws are twisted to allow them to not offer healthcare because of loopholes... ie.. 38 hour weeks... part time exemption. etc etc.. basically WALMART

If any thing good could come out of this horror I hope it's healthcare for all Americans..  regardless of job or income ..... The people that work in service industry jobs deserve healthcare the same as someone that works in an office for a corporation. 
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    pjl44 said:
    myoung321 said:
    pjl44 said:
    dankind said:

No, it's compounded by the leadership issue. To say it's simplistic is the problem.. It's not simplistic for a family that cannot afford private healthcare because they don't happen to work for a fortune 500 company. 

If any thing good could come out of this horror I hope it's healthcare for all Americans..  regardless of job or income ..... The people that work in service industry jobs deserve healthcare the same as someone that works in an office for a corporation. 
    Gotcha