What if the album cut of DotC had been mixed with a bit less 80s "dry/dead" sound?

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
edited March 2020 in The Porch
I LOVE Dotc. I feel like you have to state that at the get go around these parts nowadays.

But listening to the album now, after the two garage rockers the album kind of stops straight in its tracks with the "dry/dead" production of DotC - especially efter SBWM ends with some weird left over sounds and rumblings. And then just silence and dead drums. It's like it comes off a completely different album, to my ears. Production/sound/atmosphere wise.

What if the album cut of the song had been mixed to sound a bit more garagey and with some of the same room to it as the other tracks, and the single version could have kept that dry sound.

Would also mean in the world of not wasting plastic etc, the single could have had both cuts on it. 

Good idea? Bad idea because album gels perfect perfect as it? I'm trolling? Etc.

Again, I love the song. I'm very positive, positive to it.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    Not even one of you has anything.. not one
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I like the flow just fine, but I think there was a huge opportunity missed.  Imagine if they had gone with a 1-2-3 combo of Of The Earth, DOTC, Quick Escape. 
    All three have a some measure of a retro 80's sort of feel with interesting rhythm that drives the song.
    That would have been one of the very best 3 song runs of their career.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    It does stick out, for sure. But I’m not convinced it’s ‘cause of a production shift. I think it sounds incongruous because it’s so much better a song that what comes before it.

i know that in a band of five individual songwriters they’re going to slip into all sorts of different gears, but the garage band gear and the punk rock gear feel like a horrible waste of their musical talents.

DOTC sounds like everyone really paid attention to making sure their part brought something to the song.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    I don't have much to offer about the instruments and mixing as lyrics are my forte. I can say, when I hear people use 'positive, positive' in a positive manner, I shudder because in the context of the song those words are sarcastic.