Options

On a positive, positive note...

EilianEilian Posts: 276
Ed still sounds great.

Comments

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
    The whole band does.  Album is great.  Agree about Ed.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    How you can do 30 years of 3 hour sets where you go from crooning to gravel to flat out screaming and back again a million times, and still sound great, is beyond me.
  • Options
    And while smoking this whole time....
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,237
    I think he sounds better on this album than he has since parts of Riot Act. I was amazed, especially on Come Then Goes. I was like, did they dig this out of the vault? I really like BS, but his voice just sounds off on a lot of the slower songs and there was some forced vocals on LB that didn't translate well for me.

All in all, most solid sounding Ed vocals in 20 years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    And while smoking this whole time....
    Quite. Absolutely baffling.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,972
    edited March 2020
    remember being so chocked by the vocals on Avodaco after Riot Act. But I guess the contrast between "overly sleepy Eddie" to "schreecy angry Vedder" caused the difference to feel bigger.

He sounded very compressed on Backspacer if I remember that correctly. like it almost hurt a bit.

On here I think there is a softer approach to the recording...

BUT I AM NOT A SINGER OR A VOCAL RECORDER/MIXER SO WHAT DO I KNOW
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    tbergs said:
    I think he sounds better on this album than he has since parts of Riot Act. I was amazed, especially on Come Then Goes. I was like, did they dig this out of the vault? I really like BS, but his voice just sounds off on a lot of the slower songs and there was some forced vocals on LB that didn't translate well for me.

All in all, most solid sounding Ed vocals in 20 years.
    See, I think Riot Act sounds dialled in, vocally, in parts. 

Also think he sounds superb on both Backspacer and LB - I might be in the minority thinking that O’Brien’s production is brilliant, especially for the vocals.
  • Options
    remember being so chocked by the vocals on Avodaco after Riot Act. But I guess the contrast between "overly sleepy Eddie" to "schreecy angry Vedder" caused the difference to feel bigger.

He sounded very compressed on Backspacer if I remember that correctly. like it almost hurt a bit.

On here I think there is a softer approach to the recording...

BUT I AM NOT A SINGER OR A VOCAL RECORDER/MIXER SO WHAT DO I KNOW
    Haha - you know what you like. That’s all the qualification you need.
  • Options
    Part of it is the recording.  Riot Act was just "mushy".  And on Binaural, for example on Fatal, it sounded like he had those cotton rolls from the Dentist in his cheeks.  I'm listening to Alright at this moment and he sounds just like he did on Small Town.  I think where he shows his age now is in some of the screaming parts like Blood, or the screaming part of Tremor Christ.  He totally sounds great at this point, 30 years down the road.
  • Options
    Part of it is the recording.  Riot Act was just "mushy".  And on Binaural, for example on Fatal, it sounded like he had those cotton rolls from the Dentist in his cheeks.  I'm listening to Alright at this moment and he sounds just like he did on Small Town.  I think where he shows his age now is in some of the screaming parts like Blood, or the screaming part of Tremor Christ.  He totally sounds great at this point, 30 years down the road.
    The producer makes a difference, for sure. I would have made him take another run at 80% of Riot Act.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,132
    Positive!

The music is fantastic, Ed’s vocals are great, and I’m loving the lyrics for every song!  River Cross especially.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 815
    Still can't do his falsetto eh. That's where the ciggies are noticed.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    Still can't do his falsetto eh. That's where the ciggies are noticed.
    Yeah, I suppose they are a bit rough round the edges.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    The producer makes a difference, for sure. I would have made him take another run at 80% of Riot Act.
    I'd love Josh to take the raw tapes from Riot Act, Avocado and the harder songs from Binaural and apply his magic that he did on Gigaton.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    Eilian said:
    I'd love Josh to take the raw tapes from Riot Act, Avocado and the harder songs from Binaural and apply his magic that he did on Gigaton.
    Grievance, Insignificance, etc. are neutered on that album. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    I know, right?  i think they were still trying to manage down their fame, right?  Grievance, Insignificance, etc sound so great - ok then, lets record it under water.  Sad and Fatal, what great songs - ok, let's scrap them.  Light years, very poppy - ok, lets totally change it.  So now, 20 years later, let Josh have a run with it and treat us to what should have been.
  • Options
    I'd like Josh to take a swing at Ghost and Save you as well.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    I know, right?  i think they were still trying to manage down their fame, right?  Grievance, Insignificance, etc sound so great - ok then, lets record it under water.  Sad and Fatal, what great songs - ok, let's scrap them.  Light years, very poppy - ok, lets totally change it.  So now, 20 years later, let Josh have a run with it and treat us to what should have been.
    That Sad got left off that record is maddening.
  • Options
    I'd like Josh to take a swing at Ghost and Save you as well.
    Save You definitely needs help, but I'd rather O'Brien do it.
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Given to Fly and Do The Evolution are, to me, "neutered" on Yield too. 

At least the vocal takes. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Eilian said:
    Given to Fly and Do The Evolution are, to me, "neutered" on Yield too. 

At least the vocal takes. 
    Never thought that about GTF, but Low Light certainly.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited March 2020
    Given to fly does nothing for me on the album. On bootlegs it’s a whole different song though. Same for Light Years
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I would be willing to bet there was some studio trickery to make his vocals sound polished.  I do agree he sounds great, but let's be honest.  
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Given to fly does nothing for me on the album. On bootlegs it’s a whole different song though. Same for Light Years
    No way! That recording gives me ear erections.

Light Years kinda passed me by though.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yep. Eddie doesn't "sing out" enough on the album. He has that, singing without opening his mouth and holding a take away coffee at the same time thing going.

I like the production of DTE but it doesn't explode like it does live with those effects on his voice etc.

Light Years feel like a missed opportunity. Such strong lyrics, but the song doesn't really live up to them.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited March 2020
    JPPJ84 said:
    Yep. Eddie doesn't "sing out" enough on the album. He has that, singing without opening his mouth and holding a take away coffee at the same time thing going.

I like the production of DTE but it doesn't explode like it does live with those effects on his voice etc.

Light Years feel like a missed opportunity. Such strong lyrics, but the song doesn't really live up to them.
    I always listen to the Light Years Pinkpop 2000 version. Now that’s perfection. With DTE I love the Monkeywrench (?) version 
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,103
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    I wonder why. Its chorus always reminded me too much of the chorus to The Cure’s Lovesong. I’ve never been a big fan of Sad, personally.
  • Options
    EarlWelsh said:
    Eilian said:
    Eilian said:
    I wonder why. Its chorus always reminded me too much of the chorus to The Cure’s Lovesong. I’ve never been a big fan of Sad, personally.
    Ah yeah, i suppose - now you say it.

I’m a fan though. Sucker for a strong guitar intro. Do wish it could get revisited production wise, though.
  • Options
    I would be willing to bet there was some studio trickery to make his vocals sound polished.  I do agree he sounds great, but let's be honest.  
    Yeah of course - compression, eq, reverb etc - you definitely wouldn’t want it without those things.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    Josh Evans said Comes Then Goes was the first or second take, either way, that’s pretty impressive