WMMR's top 50 PJ songs (and a quick Gigaton review)

eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
8/28/98- Camden, NJ
10/31/09- Philly
5/21/10- NYC
9/2/12- Philly, PA
7/19/13- Wrigley
10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
10/21/13- Philly, PA
10/22/13- Philly, PA
10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
4/28/16- Philly, PA
4/29/16- Philly, PA
5/1/16- NYC
5/2/16- NYC
9/2/18- Boston, MA
9/4/18- Boston, MA
9/14/22- Camden, NJ
9/7/24- Philly, PA
9/9/24- Philly, PA
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

Comments

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    No Go, Immortality, or In My Tree?
    Get outta here!
    No Last Exit, Hail Hail, or In Hiding?
    Really, get outta here!!
    Objectively speaking, I do agree with the top 2.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Not a bad list but of course some I’d have on there instead.  Personally don’t like covers on the list. Also personally don’t think oceans, garden or deep belong on the top 50.  A few not mentioned not on list: breath, life wasted, mind your manners
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,900
    Black not even in the top 10; and Wishlist ahead of it. No.  
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • I disagree with many choices but I don't think this is a bad list at all.  Much better than the doucheplug Spin list.  
    They have so many great tunes....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JV267526JV267526 Posts: 199
    edited March 2020
    pjhawks said:
    Not a bad list but of course some I’d have on there instead.  Personally don’t like covers on the list. Also personally don’t think oceans, garden or deep belong on the top 50.  A few not mentioned not on list: breath, life wasted, mind your manners
    Also, didn't think the list was too bad, but like you said there are some I would also have on there instead. It is hard to make a list like that and put it out there, because there is always some that others will disagree with. It takes some courage, because it will obviously be critiqued. I totally agree about not including covers on the list, and also about the song Breath. It is my 2nd favourite Pearl Jam song of all. Just love that song.

Would love to see some top 50 of members on here. It is always fun to read lists and see how the tastes of others differ from your, given we all have a common love for the band. I found that there are really four types of PJ fans. 1) The traditionalists who love mostly the hard hitting old stuff, and don't care for the mellower side. 2) The opposite, those who love the ballads. 3) The against the grainers who feel the need to pick the most obscure songs from the catalogue as their favs and for some reason give way less love to many of the more popular hits the band has put out. 4) The purists who have evolved with the band, and love a good Pearl Jam song for being a good song, whether it is hard-hitting, mellow, popular, obscure. It doesn't matter. It would be interesting to see the different lists from each type of fan.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    pjhawks said:

Totally agree, could have left out the covers. Breath definitely should have been on there.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    JV267526 said:
    pjhawks said:
    Also, didn't think the list was too bad, but like you said there are some I would also have on there instead. It is hard to make a list like that and put it out there, because there is always some that others will disagree with. It takes some courage, because it will obviously be critiqued. I totally agree about not including covers on the list, and also about the song Breath. It is my 2nd favourite Pearl Jam song of all. Just love that song.

Would love to see some top 50 of members on here. It is always fun to read lists and see how the tastes of others differ from your, given we all have a common love for the band. I found that there are really four types of PJ fans. 1) The traditionalists who love mostly the hard hitting old stuff, and don't care for the mellower side. 2) The opposite, those who love the ballads. 3) The against the grainers who feel the need to pick the most obscure songs from the catalogue as their favs and for some reason give way less love to many of the more popular hits the band has put out. 4) The purists who have evolved with the band, and love a good Pearl Jam song for being a good song, whether it is hard-hitting, mellow, popular, obscure. It doesn't matter. It would be interesting to see the different lists from each type of fan.
    I’m thinking of putting my list together. Tv is terrible without sports so got the time
    pjhawks said:
    JV267526 said:
    pjhawks said:

I’m thinking of putting my list together. Tv is terrible without sports so got the time
    Was thinking the same.
    edited March 2020
    Just for fun with nothing else to do, here is my list. Man it was tough to rank the songs. It is something that changes with time, but as of right now this my list. Obviously there will be things people agree with and completely disagree with, but this is just my opinion so please do be too brutal and harsh, lol.

My Crack at a Top 50 PJ Song List
    1. Alive - Ten

2. Breath - Singles Soundtrack

3. Given to Fly - Yield

4. Red Mosquito - No Code

5. Betterman - Vitalogy

6. Seven O’Clock - Gigaton

7. Man of the Hour - Big Fish Soundtrack

8. Unthought Known - Backspacer

9. State of Love and Trust - Singles Soundtrack

10. Black - Ten

11. Release - Ten

12. Sirens - Lightning Bolt

13. Even Flow - Ten

14. Corduroy - Vitalogy

15. Daughter - VS

16. Rearviewmirror - VS

17. Just Breathe - Backspacer

18. Dance of the Clairvoyants - Gigaton

19. Small Town - VS

20. Sad - Lost Dogs

21. Off He Goes - No Code

22. In Hiding - Yield

23. In My Tree - No Code

24. Parachutes - Pearl Jam (Avocado)

25. Amongst the Waves - Backspacer

26. Thumbing My Way - Riot Act

27. Who Ever Said - Gigaton

28. Down - Lost Dogs

29. Quick Escape - Gigaton

30. Immortality - Vitalogy

31. The Long Road - Merkin Ball

32. Dissident - VS

33. Light Years - Binaural

34. I Am Mine - Riot Act

35. Who You Are - No Code

36. Hard to Imagine - Lost Dogs

37. Yellow Ledbetter - Lost Dogs

38. Hail Hail - No Code

39. Insignificance - Binaural

40. Love Boat Captain - Riot Act

41. Of the Earth - Live Shows

42. Retrograde - Gigaton

43. I Got I.D. - Merkinball

44. Thin Air - Binaural

45. Sunburn - Unreleased

46. Footsteps - Lost Dogs

47. Let It Ride - Unreleased

48. Jeremy - Ten

49. Animal - VS

50. Do the Evolution - Yield

Post edited by JV267526 on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,980

Unlike probably a lot of people around here, I think that top five is pretty spot on. While RVM always will be my personal favorite, I've long believed that Corduroy is PJ's "best" song, featuring exceptionally strong music and lyrics.

On the other hand, I don't see In Hiding or In My Tree on this list, so my #6-50 would look quite different. But it's an interesting list, no doubt.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.