Pearl Jam Nitpicks

rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
This is not meant to be a negative thread.  I was just wondering if there are other people with certain songs, lyrics, etc. that you wish they had done a little differently.  Here are some of mine.

1. Superblood Wolfmoon - When the riff comes back after the solo, I wish they would have let it go at least one more time before Ed sings "Superblood Wolfmoon" again.
2. Just Breathe - I always thought this song should have been called "Come Clean", mainly because I just like that phrase better than Just Breathe and the way he says "come clean" in the chorus is typically where the title of the song would be.  Just Breathe definitely works better for what the song is about and Come Clean typically has a negative connotation so I'll allow it.  :)
3. Force of Nature - I wish at the end of the chorus he kept it "in the dark before the dawn" rather than making it "in the dark before the darkness meets the dawn".  More importantly, this song is fantastic and I remember when it first came out I was thinking this was their best song since Do The Evolution.  A guy I know who is a big fan told me he hates it which really surprises me.  
4. Bushleaguer- not really a nitpick because I've never heard it, but I remember in an interview Jeff said Ed had a really good vocal melody before he decided to do it as a spoken word song.  I had not heard this song in a long time, but watched PJ20 over the weekend and the chorus has been in my head since.  

Again, I'm not bashing the songs.  I'll stipulate Pearl Jam are better songwriters than I am.  
"We're fixed good, lamp-wise."

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited March 2020
    I wish Sirens didn’t exist. At the very least, get rid of the “Hear the sirennnssss, hear the SI-ruuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnssss” at the beginning.
    Also the line “Let me catch my breath so I can breathe” is d-u-m-b dumb! 
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I wish their touring included some type of annual event, like DMB at the Gorge each Labor Day or Phish in Colorado. It would be easy to plan travel and something to look forward to all year.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    edited March 2020
    Ed's verb agreement on live versions of Wishlist.  "I wish I WERE"???  It should be, "I wish I was".  No one says, "I were going to go to the store but stayed home" or "I were a former employee of the company"  Annoying and incorrect grammar.

Also, the double negative on Sonic Reducer.  "Don't need no mom and dad".  So you actually need your mom and dad is what you're saying in a roundabout way.  It undercuts the meaning of the song.  I know, the original lyrics are like this, but Ed in his creative changes could make something work to get the true meaning into the lyrics.  

Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 231
    GEMS AND RHINESTONES