Backspacer 2.0

My feeling (and I think some others may share my opinion) is that Superblood Wolfmoon sounds like a track that could have been included on Backspacer.  So I decided to infuse it into Backspacer, but then take it a step forward.  I replaced one track with SBWM and re-ordered the tracklisting, mainly because I've always felt in the back of my mind some of these tracks belonged in different spots.  My replacement was "The End" because I really wanted to see how Just Breathe fits as a closer and I'm loving it there.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• DosimetricPJFanDosimetricPJFan Posts: 76
    edited February 2020
    SBWM is far superior to  anything on BS imo, and I like BP. My Bad, typo
    Post edited by DosimetricPJFan on
  • I've had Backspacer at the bottom of my studio albums for quite a while now, but SBWM really picks it up.  I think part of my issue with Backspacer was the track order.  When I dig into the songs, I really enjoy them.  It's still bottom third for me, but I think I've underestimated Backspacer.
  • SBWM is far superior to  anything on BP imo, and I like BP

Is BP your abbreviation for Backspacer?

If so, I can offer a dissenting opinion on your opinion that Superblood Wolfmoon is far superior to anything on Backspacer.

Here is how I would slot Superblood Wolfmoon in order with the tracks from Backspacer, based on my own opinion:

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

If so, I can offer a dissenting opinion on your opinion that Superblood Wolfmoon is far superior to anything on Backspacer.

Here is how I would slot Superblood Wolfmoon in order with the tracks from Backspacer, based on my own opinion:

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound
    I had a tough time moving "The End" to any other spot but last.  That song really is "The End" of any track list I can think of.  I just like Just Breathe more at the end.

• I definitely got Backspacer vibes from SBWM. I’ve always liked BS and it ages better and better. I throw it on the turntable a lot. But, the track list has never struck me as of but I like both posters new track lists. The album that seems off is Binaural. They really screwed that one up. The original would have been incredible 

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Backspacer is lean and fun.   SBWM fits.  
  • I love doing these... I’m at work so I’m kinda just going off memory of how the songs end (fade vs no fade).  I included Pendulum since it first came about during the Backspacer sessions.

Gonna see my friend
    Johnny Guitar
    The Fixer
    Amongst the waves
    Pendulum
    Got Some
    SBWM
    Unthought Known
    Just Breathe
    Force of Nature
    The End
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound
    I had a tough time moving "The End" to any other spot but last.  That song really is "The End" of any track list I can think of.  I just like Just Breathe more at the end.

:lol:  You do not care for the song?

Has an incredibly special spot for me - I bet I have not listened to it (aside from background playing) in over a year.  Hits me hard, every time.

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound
    We've been saying it wrong all this time....  It's Backs Pacer.😁

Escape is never the safest path....

Atlanta 9.1.98
    Dallas 11.15.13
    Ft. Worth 9.15.23
  • I've had Backspacer at the bottom of my studio albums for quite a while now, but SBWM really picks it up.  I think part of my issue with Backspacer was the track order.  When I dig into the songs, I really enjoy them.  It's still bottom third for me, but I think I've underestimated Backspacer.
    I agree with underestimating Backspacer, I'm guilty of this too. Whenever I rank albums it has to go somewhere so typically it's bottom third. However, when I listen front to back, I can't help but think "should this be higher on my list?" 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    I've had Backspacer at the bottom of my studio albums for quite a while now, but SBWM really picks it up.  I think part of my issue with Backspacer was the track order.  When I dig into the songs, I really enjoy them.  It's still bottom third for me, but I think I've underestimated Backspacer.
    I agree with underestimating Backspacer, I'm guilty of this too. Whenever I rank albums it has to go somewhere so typically it's bottom third. However, when I listen front to back, I can't help but think "should this be higher on my list?" 
    I think it's a good, quick listen. I can listen to the whole album on my commute and still want to start it over again on the way home. Nothing drags like on LB. It's still not better than anything before it, but it's an easier listen than Binaural, No Code and Riot Act. Those albums put me in a deep thinking mood and have some weight to the lyrics. Overall, BS, is light and upbeat in it's tones and sound, aside from The End.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergs said:
    I've had Backspacer at the bottom of my studio albums for quite a while now, but SBWM really picks it up.  I think part of my issue with Backspacer was the track order.  When I dig into the songs, I really enjoy them.  It's still bottom third for me, but I think I've underestimated Backspacer.
    I think it's a good, quick listen. I can listen to the whole album on my commute and still want to start it over again on the way home. Nothing drags like on LB. It's still not better than anything before it, but it's an easier listen than Binaural, No Code and Riot Act. Those albums put me in a deep thinking mood and have some weight to the lyrics. Overall, BS, is light and upbeat in it's tones and sound, aside from The End.
    Great points. I think of BS as a summer record. I don't wanna be weighed down I just wanna rock. 

The End just cuts through me emotionally though so I respect it's emotional output even if it doesn't match the upbeat nature of the album.

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound

Has an incredibly special spot for me - I bet I have not listened to it (aside from background playing) in over a year.  Hits me hard, every time.
    I like the song, I just can't put it anywhere other than "The End." :)
    "The End" is a good closer, but it's not high on my list (Indifference, All Those Yesterdays, Release, All Or None) for a closer.  I think Just Breathe works even better as a closer.  After I displace "The End" from the end, it doesn't fit anywhere else for me.  I could replace it on an album with a weaker closer, e.g. LB.

1. Got Some
    2. Amongst The Waves
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. Unthought Known
    5. The End
    6. The Fixer
    7. Force of Nature
    8. Supersonic
    9. Johnny Guitar
    10. Just Breathe
    11. Superblood Wolfmoon
    12. Speed of Sound

I like the song, I just can't put it anywhere other than "The End." :)
    "The End" is a good closer, but it's not high on my list (Indifference, All Those Yesterdays, Release, All Or None) for a closer.  I think Just Breathe works even better as a closer.  After I displace "The End" from the end, it doesn't fit anywhere else for me.  I could replace it on an album with a weaker closer, e.g. LB.

Makes sense!
    (Although I prefer it to All or None.  ;))
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    Parting Ways just stopped in to say "where is the love"? One of the most underappreciated songs in the catalogue, and one of my favorite live performances. Hoping for a little more No Code and Binaural on this tour than usual.
  • I am sorry Parting Ways, I do enjoy you, just not as much as the aforementioned closers on my list. 
    1. Indifference
    2. All Those Yesterdays
    3. Release
    4. All Or None
    5. Around the Bend
    6. Inside Job
    7. Parting Ways
    8. The End
    9. Future Days
    10. Stupid Mop
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    The funny thing about lists is how much thought the person creating one puts into it only to be picked apart so quickly by others. Here is to hoping the studio version of River Cross will crack your top 5!
  • JW269453 said:
    The funny thing about lists is how much thought the person creating one puts into it only to be picked apart so quickly by others. Here is to hoping the studio version of River Cross will crack your top 5!
    If I didn't have thick skin, I wouldn't have put myself out there!  I hope River Cross ranks high as well.  Cannot wait for Gigaton.

• I am sorry Parting Ways, I do enjoy you, just not as much as the aforementioned closers on my list. 
    1. Indifference
    2. All Those Yesterdays
    3. Release
    4. All Or None
    5. Around the Bend
    6. Inside Job
    7. Parting Ways
    8. The End
    9. Future Days
    10. Stupid Mop
    I like this exercise:

1) Indifference
    2) Release
    3) Parting Ways
    4) Inside Job
    5) All or None
    6) The End
    7) All Those Yesterdays
    8) Future Days
    9) Stupidmop
    10) Around the Bend-before lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks: Around the bend is a great song, but I can't listen to it because it makes me think of an unpleasant experience in my life.
  • Hmm... would probably go
    The End
    Release
    All Those Yesterdays
    Inside Job
    Indifference
    Around the Bend
    Parting Ways
    All or None
    Stupid Mop
    Future Days
    looking to hear of the earth
  • I'm at least glad it seems like we're done pretending backspacer is this awful album when it's really quite solid. 
  • There is no such thing as an awful PJ album.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,640
    There is no such thing as an awful PJ album.
    Some are just significantly better than others.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    mshnayder said:
    I'm at least glad it seems like we're done pretending backspacer is this awful album when it's really quite solid. 
    It’s uneven, it has its high points but the bad songs are just so much worse than pretty much any of the other songs that made it onto pj albums.
  • KN219077 said:
    mshnayder said:
    I'm at least glad it seems like we're done pretending backspacer is this awful album when it's really quite solid. 
    It’s uneven, it has its high points but the bad songs are just so much worse than pretty much any of the other songs that made it onto pj albums.
    I can agree with the opinion of it being uneven.  That's a reason I wanted to try to move around the track listing, because I think the "rockers" and the more dramatic tracks are clumped together too much.  Usually, I prefer to have them more dispersed like I did up above.

• This is a cool thread, covering a handful of different things at this point.

Closers?  My list:
    1. Release
    2. Indifference
    3. Inside Job
    4. All Those Yesterdays
    5. The End
    6. Around The Bend
    7. All of None
    8. Parting Ways
    9. Future Days
    10. Stupid Mop

• What really drove my reordering of Backspacer was my want to change up the closer.  I did this with a reorder of Avocado a while back too, where I wanted to try Come Back at the end and I love it.  It's not to say I don't like The End and Inside Job as closers, but I like Come Back and Just Breathe even more.

• Closers:

indifference 
    Release
    All those Yesterdays
    All or None
    Parting Ways
    Around the Bend
    The End
    Inside Job
    Future Days 

• Likewise, I can't see Gonna See My Friend as anything else but an opener.  I didn't bother trying that out in different spots of the track listing.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    What really drove my reordering of Backspacer was my want to change up the closer.  I did this with a reorder of Avocado a while back too, where I wanted to try Come Back at the end and I love it.  It's not to say I don't like The End and Inside Job as closers, but I like Come Back and Just Breathe even more.

I like this re-order. Not to derail too much, but I did a deluxe Binaural playlist a few years back where I added in the Lost Dogs tracks from that recording period timeframe. It was hard to fit in some and I think I ended up making Sweet Lew a hidden track after Parting Ways. It would be a terrible normal track to end on. And actually, looking at that playlist, I am going to reorder it again. I don't like the placement of some songs now.

It's a hopeless situation...