Options

Appreciation thread

fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
edited February 2020 in The Porch
I know that this is a fanclub and this is a bit over doing it, but I just wanted to throw it out there: these two new songs are amazing, especially back-to-back. Even though I lived in the States when the Seattle scene broke, you can say that I loved my hairspray too much (an eufemisme to say that's I listened to terrible music). I came  late in the game (around Vitalogy and No Code; and since I am an Antropologist, I have dissected these albums from a social scientific point of view - only in Dutch I am a  afraid, but if you want a link (or have translation software) just send me a PM.) When I became a fan (it was a year after No Code, internet wasn't that yet and just like the hairspray, I was late in the game. I am not a trendsetter. I missed all the excitement re. Yield. That is when I became a TenC member and Binaural was actually the album that I bought consciously; living up to the moment, reading the reviews etc. I still remember waiting on the busstop, after buying the CD at nine in the morning and actually got  chills when I read the lines: "We were but stones, your light made us stars." Poetry. (I have dissected this album also.) I know that this album got some slack, but to me it is somewhere in the top 5. Riot Act was for me personally  a bit of a let down. I missed the energy and experimentation that I heard on the previous albums. This  is of course just one opinion among thousands. I don't expect a Vitalogy 2.0. And I think many bands will jump for joy if they could create  ST, BS and LB. I believe that artists should be able to reinvent themselves, and this costs sometimes time and also wading your way through the bushes in order to grow. I think they were struggling a bit between ST and LB. Partly due the artistic and creative course  they wanted to take and the weight you feel  of the expectations on your shoulders from others. (Besides an Antropologist, I am also a fiction writer with a small group of followers, nothing compared to PJ; but you feel this pressure literally. The constant self doubt. "Are my readers  ready for this approach?  What if I turn this upside down?" In the end, it it is all about taking that step, leaving your comfort-zone etc.) This is a though time for me. Barely being able tot stand after my mother passed away 5 weeks ago and I am struggling with pneuma, bereavement, sleep deprivation, finding a place for my löss and grief.- but through all all this static and noise, I can feel a sliver of the excitement, in the same way I did in 2000 with Binaural, and I am grateful for that. First I wasn't sure about Blood Moon, but after reading the lyrics ("I hope I hurt your fist") and there are some others poetic gems  in there; I am sold. This album feels like an whole and not just a collection of songs. But an Interconnection of songs. We will know for sure next month.  I could be wrong of course but how Blood Moon goes over in TDOC is perfect. Just wanted to throw it out there. Even through the noise, pain, grief, disbelief etc. life throws at you it is good to stand still  every now and then and appreciate  what you *do* hear.

Post edited by fortyshades on

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Thanks for sharing, and so sorry for your loss. I hope and know you will get through it and be back on your legs sooner or later. Every single one of us has had that moment where we just need some music to help us get through things. Glad to hear these new songs help you do that, and I agree they are awesome. Keep going man, there are better times ahead I'm sure!
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. I wrote the post after 48 hours of no sleep, so I didn't dare to read it back. But it wasn't too bad. I just can't sleep. Every single time I close my eyes, I see my mother gasping for breath. She died (ironically for I have the same thing I am batting for for three weeks now) of pneumia. Too much fluids behind her lungs. Her heart couldn't keep up. You sit there for four hours and see your mother literally drown and there is nothing you can do. She was no longer conscience when I came. She was in some delirious state. The only consolation I might have, is that she hopefully heard me or acknowledged me. That she knew, she wasn't alone. That is my only hope.
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,268
    Thanks for the comments. I wrote the post after 48 hours of no sleep, so I didn't dare to read it back. But it wasn't too bad. I just can't sleep. Every single time I close my eyes, I see my mother gasping for breath. She died (ironically for I have the same thing I am batting for for three weeks now) of pneumia. Too much fluids behind her lungs. Her heart couldn't keep up. You sit there for four hours and see your mother literally drown and there is nothing you can do. She was no longer conscience when I came. She was in some delirious state. The only consolation I might have, is that she hopefully heard me or acknowledged me. That she knew, she wasn't alone. That is my only hope.

Very sad that you had to watch something like this ... I wish you a lot of strength and that the music helps you to get these bad pictures out of your head at least for a few moments ... I wish you and your family all the best and stay strong!

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    Thank you. Mostly I am a private person, but the wave can be too big at times. It is funny how important music can be at times. It is a prmordial art form. Reading you have to  learn. Paintings are depictions. But music is one of thosef of art that is based on our primordial sensors. We can hear befor we can see or talk.  As an Anthropologist I can say that every culture has music. Not all cultures have literature. They do have story telling though. (Often oral traditions.)
  • Options
    JustynaJustyna Posts: 132
    So sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and positive vibes. From where I am standing you joined PJ tribe quite early. I love DOTC and I like Blood Moon (wasn't fan of Can't deny me, so the more appreciate these two). When PJ started their journey I was in primary  school obsessed with Roxette ;). Although I knew PJ from the medias I was not an aware fan until 2000. My experience with Binaural was similar to yours, all the excitement, butterflies … For me it will always be the PJ favourite album and although I don't expect Gigaton to be similar in any way to Binaural I am hoping for the same emotions and excitement when it comes the end of this month.

Spodek 2000, Roskilde 2000, O2 2009, Belfast 2010, Hyde Park 2010, Wuhlheide 2010, Open'er 2010, Manchester 1&2 2012 , Amsterdam 1&2 2014, Wuhlheide 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Open'er 2014, MK 2014, Amsterdam 1&2 2018, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018, Barcelona 2018, London 1&2 2018
  • Options
    I think that Binaural is highly underrated . Poetically Ed was at his best during Yield/ Binaural. I know that many consider RA their last "experimental" album, but I think that Binaural was; even the title reffers  to a specific recording  method the was considered experimental at that time. (Gigaton also used the latest recording methods.) The vulnerability in Thin Air, Light Years, Of the girl,. The disjointed  drumbeat in Sleighft of Hand  that captured the disjointed and broken protagonist of the song. The use of classical instruments  to emphasise the feeling of being washed away during a break up. (Driftig away...)  On  this album , the instruments underlined/ emphasized the narrative of a song, like they hadnt done before. Songs that dealt with opposities and show our insignificance in the artwork. Binaural may not had have the flowness or swagger of Yield; it still was  a strong album that deservves more credit than it does/did.