To recline or not to recline...

You have all probably heard the story..Personally, I think you suck if you recline..

Charlottesville 2013
Hampton 2016

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yep, recliners suck.
    The seats shouldn't recline at all with the tiny space they give you.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    there was a time where they didnt cram people in so tight. larger seats. more space between rows, etc.  AND you could go back farther in recline.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I sit in the far front on full flight and occasionally in first if there is room to upgrade.  Enough room for small laptops there to comfortably work.
    Everywhere else = no.

I don't recline but that is out of courtesy.  I don't think it is a crime to recline and that fucking guy should hit himself in the face vs the back of that woman's seat.  What a total ass.  He should be upset with the airlines and not the person.
    I've for sure been frustrated.  I have for sure had my drink spilled.  You still don't do that.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Not sure how I would handle that situation..Ask nicely first to put seat up and try to make her feel like shit if she refused. I'm amazed she doesn't think what she did was inconsiderate.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I thought this was a post requesting advice on whether or not to take a moment to rest :lol:

Remember those double-deckers with bars?

Flying used to be such a treat (as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s, that is).  Now, I'm just happy that I'll never step foot on a plane again.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    That incident was disgusting.  The very definition if a mantrum.  I also find it disturbing how the airlines have been able to fob off responsibility for the lack of space and reclining “etiquette” onto the consumer without consequence, as if there is absolutely nothing airlines or aircraft designer can do to alleviate these issues.  Sure, flying would be more expensive overall, but they’re already nickel & diming customers for every aspect of air travel now, while the consumer gets less bang for their buck.  

As an aside, I find these petty issues that develop into entitled rage more prevalent in the US, particularly with domestic travel.  What’s up with that?  I’m not saying that it doesn’t happen elsewhere, just that it seems more common there. 
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    We are a society of jerks - as evidenced by how many people found this acceptable.  On average I flew almost once a week last year.  There is nothing to explain away a huge percentage of the incidents I observed.  Some people are just totally self absorbed assholes.
    Imagine if that was your mother?  I would beat the shit out of that guy in a flash.
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    My mother would never recline her seat..too considerate of others.The kid should have gotten the shit slapped out him, I agree, but just no need for that situation to start.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    It's on the airlines.  Give us space to recline or if there isn't any space, take the option away.  Airlines are soulless assholes, so why not just embrace it and take the recliners out.  Put in some milk cartons instead for us to sit on.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    one single row eliminated would help. two rows would be heaven....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I do not recline. That's rude. 

I have been stuck in that seat that the dude was in. (Southwest and ending up in the last boarding group.) It was unpleasant. I am claustrophobic anyhow. A plane is a test for me. The ass end of a plane has a high pitch whistle and if I recall, it pitched a bit. There are so many things about that seat that shouldn't be anyhow, but he needn't be an asshole about it. I don't believe it was a transcontinental flight. He would have survived just fine without the fit. However, I don't believe that the lady was a prize either.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2020
    If everyone reclines, doesn't that solve the problem, aside from the row against the back wall that can't recline?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Interesting.  I typically recline if trying to sleep.  Maybe I will think twice now.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    If everyone reclines, doesn't that solve the problem, aside from the row against the back wall that can't recline?

Some plane seats are less comfortable when reclining....and there are more rows than the last which do not recline on a standard plane 
    PJ_Soul said:
    No, because reclining doesn't increase your leg space, it only subtracts from the person behind.
    Also, it screws the tray table up for the person behind you, sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Whenever I board a plane, I just assume I’m going to be highly uncomfortable for the full duration of the flight. It sucks but it’s the nature of airplanes. As far as this incident goes, both of these people seem to think the world revolves around them and they’re both wrong.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Shouldn't recline, but BOTH are in the wrong here.

As many have pointed out in this thread about the many problems with flying, is reasons why i've decided to drive across the Country(USA) then Fly. I guess i can tolerate the A-Holes on the road more then the A-Holes  on a Plane. I know i'll be more comfortable though.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Airlines need to disable the ability to recline.  As a frequent flier, I can't tell you how many times i've had my laptop, drinks, food, whatever thrown in to my lap because the asshole in front of me hit the button and threw it back.
    mca47 said:
    Airlines need to disable the ability to recline.  As a frequent flier, I can't tell you how many times i've had my laptop, drinks, food, whatever thrown in to my lap because the asshole in front of me hit the button and threw it back.

Agree -- shared a bunch in this thread and do think it is the fault of the airlines.  If they have the option we can't very well tell people not to do it and expect they will not.  However.............the dick move is 100% slamming the seat back.  You ease it back if you have to recline. 
    (Still does not allow for someone to keep hitting the seat like a petulant child.)

I'm spoiled by airline status from being a frequent flyer and admit that I feel like I am a 3rd world flyer if I have to sit in the back of the plane or in a middle seat...but it is all about sharing space with hundreds of other people in a respectful fashion.  It'll be over soon enough, try not to dick out on someone.  (I do not recline in coach.)

IMO, this incident is the fault of the airlines #1, asshole guy #2, and then what could be an inconsiderate person who slammed back her seat #3.  If she lowered it slowly he has no right to be upset at her.  Complain to the airline.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited February 2020

I think the biggest story here is people's inability or refusal to put themselves in the other person's shoes.

Airline travel sucks, and when the people around you are inconsiderate it sucks even more.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

I think the biggest story here is people's inability or refusal to put themselves in the other person's shoes.

Airline travel sucks, and when the people around you are inconsiderate it sucks even more.

This!  People are the worst.  Nobody thinks how their actions effect others and then go about treating their flight like they are hanging out in their living room.  
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    This wasn't an issue before airlines jammed in more rows and more rows. 

According to FlyersRights.org, a nonprofit advocating for passengers’ rights, the average economy-class seat is 17 inches wide, compared to 18.5 inches in the early 2000s. The average space between a seat and the seat in front of it, also known as a seat’s pitch, has also decreased from 35 inches to 31 inches, with some airlines even decreasing legroom to 28 inches.
    link - https://lifehacker.com/heres-how-much-leg-room-and-reclining-space-you-get-on-1797470416
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited February 2020
    And yet we get from the US to Europe in 7-8 hours instead of boarding a ship for weeks.   All of this complaining about planes is silly.   
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    And yet we get from the US to Europe in 7-8 hours instead of boarding a ship for weeks.   All of this complaining about planes is silly.   
    My lil great grandpa sailed here from Poland through Bremen, Germany. What was supposed to be a week long trip took 3 weeks. 2 people died, one of scarlet fever and one washed overboard. They had 6 hours of good sailing weather the entire time. Oh, and they were transporting 20,000 songbirds. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    When the hell are the two holiday singles being released?!
    ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    When the hell are the two holiday singles being released?!
    ;)

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    If you recline for the first time do you simply cline?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

They need to remove the recline or the tray table.  The two simply can't coexist.

Get rid of the recline!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    deadendp said:
    I do not recline. That's rude. 

I have been stuck in that seat that the dude was in. (Southwest and ending up in the last boarding group.) It was unpleasant. I am claustrophobic anyhow. A plane is a test for me. The ass end of a plane has a high pitch whistle and if I recall, it pitched a bit. There are so many things about that seat that shouldn't be anyhow, but he needn't be an asshole about it. I don't believe it was a transcontinental flight. He would have survived just fine without the fit. However, I don't believe that the lady was a prize either.  
    The man should not have punched her seat repeatedly.  However, he has no option to recline, he was in the very last row.  If I'm not mistaken, this woman already had back issues and that was the reason she needed to recline.  I also believe it was less than a 3 hour flight.  If both are the case, the woman with back issues should have purchased a ticket that guaranteed her more room. If she can't go 3 hours without discomfort and has to recline, that's on her to make sure she is comfortable.  Booking economy leaves you with little room to begin with, if she absolutely had to recline, she should not have booked economy.  

I could be wrong about the details.  This woman claiming all these injuries from this incident is just looking to make a bundle from the airline.  That's my take on this.
  • craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,048
    My Car seat goes all the way back, however if someone is in the rear seat i give them space.... just because it can recline doesnt mean you should ... esp in this case where the last row does not recline. The guy could not recline his seat to compensate for lost space...
    I travel a lot, be respectful .. woman should not recline, guy should not punch the seat..Both wrong. .. The real solution is to call customer service when you land, request a travel voucher for your trouble of being reclined on with no help from the flight staff.