The murder of prime minister Olof Palme might be on its way to be solved

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
edited February 2020 in A Moving Train

The biggest active murder investigation in the world.

Swedish prime minister Olof Palme was shot dead after visiting a movie theatre on February 28 1986. A heavily criticized investigation that has had a lot of of different leads and a lot of conspiracy theories tied to it. Famed swedish criminologist Leif GW Persson believes that the killer is someone connected to the police in some way (the "Police trace" being one of the many leads of the case). Olof Palme being hated at the time by many on the right, and many inside the Swedish police force.

A man (a lone assassin) was charged for the murder a few years after the murder, but later freed. 

Now 34 years later, the current prosecutor says that he believes the murder will be solved and the solution presented within six months.

Prosecutor Krister Petersson:
Chief Prosecutor Krister Petersson will either prosecute someone or drop the 34-year-old preliminary investigation into the Olof Palme murder.

- It is a mixture of different things that has lead to this, says Krister Petersson. Among other things, we have a new theory of what happened at the crime scene.

Criminologist Leif GW Persson:

Olof Palme's killer is dead - and what lies behind the prosecutor's new comments may be that the murder weapon has been found. 

This is the opinion of professor of criminology Leif GW Persson. "When you do something like this, you have to be really damn sure of having something concrete," he tells Aftonbladet.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/02/19/world/europe/ap-eu-sweden-palme.html

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• Let's see how close journalist Stieg Larsson came to the answer, hopefully, coming this summer

https://youtu.be/mX1XTjmRySE
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • British Tv from the day after the murder in -86

https://youtu.be/KY-5FdICCdM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2020
    So most people seem to be in agreement that - out of all the different theories and speculations throughout the years - the prosecutor has found more evidence against one of the following leads.

SE ("The Skandia Man")
    - Graphic Designer at the insurance company Skandia at the time. Working the night of the murder, in their office located a few minutes from the location of the murder.
    - punched/Checked out of work just before the murder
    - It is proven he was at the crime scene after the murder. He claims he was a witness - and even helped the dying prime minister. No one else, helping him out, have seen SE though or worked with him on trying to save Olof Palmes life.
    - Has lied about details regarding what he did on the night of the murder (like claiming he was helping saving Palmes life, etc)
    - Wore clothes and a bag, similar to what witnesses has stated they saw the running gunman wear.
    - Had a known dislike of Olof Palme.
    - Was neighbour with a "gun collector" who could have owned a .357 Magnum

And

KA ("The Double/The look-alike")
    - Lived very close to the crime scene
    - People claim that he very much resembles the man Olof Palmes widow identified as Palmes murdered, and who was also charged for it (and later freed).
    - Fits the "criminal profile" that was made, with help from the FBI, about the killer
    - Owned a .357 Magnum - which is the ONLY registered magnum in the Stockholm area that has not been investigated by police
    - Refused to hand over his magnum, and when confronted said that he had sold it (in not very plausible way)
    - Had a known hatred of Palme - is said to have shot his television once when Palme was on.
    - His story of what he did on the murder night, is disputed by friends and family
    - Is said to have visited a café opposite where Palme was shot on the day of the murder for several years (he was a regular at the café though, so could be a tall tale or just a coincidence someone picked up and ran with)
    - In 2008, when police visited his apartment because his brother was worried about him - he shot himself dead when the knocking persons identified themselves as being police

Then ofc, we have all theories about right winged-police men killing him, hitmen from South Africa doing it, CIA doing it etc etc.

But those to are, according to criminologist Leif GW Persson and other poople the most credible people the investigation know could have something more an conclusive on.

Seems everything is pointing to "The Skandia Man" being the one that will be presented as the killer. 

Should happen before july (first half of 2020).
    News reports of the "Palme group" visiting distant relatives off "The Skandia Man" early this year, and that DNA traces has been sent to the Swedish National Forensic Centre for investigation. 

More point to "The Skandia Man" in other words.
    The editor in chief of the popular swedish in-depth magazine FILTER has said he will quit his job if it is not Skandiamannen who did it. He is that sure of it.

The Palme Group Investigators have searched through Skandia Man's old home

Around the turn of the year, two investigators from the police's "Palme Group" are reported to have visited the villa in Täby where the so-called Skandiamannen lived at the time of the prime minister's murder.

- They looked for traces of weapons, says the current owner to SVT News.

The current owner tells SVT that the police "looked around the house" and they are presumed to have also looked through the attic. According to the homeowner, the police, for example, searched for weapon cases. But they are reported to have left empty-handed.

The Scandiaman is named in the magazine Filter as the possible Palme killer.

Prosecutor Krister Petersson, who leads the Palme Investigation, promised last winter to tell us shortly about the investigation's conclusion:

"I am positive that I will be able to present what happened regarding the murder and who is responsible for it," he said in February.
    The press conference with the investigators solution to the murder is to be held July 1

South Africa, responsible for the murder of Olof Palme, according to sources

Mostly, there have been talk about "The Skandia Man". But three experts on Palme, says they have information from within the investigation that he solution to the murder to be presented has a completely different focus: South Africa.

Change of plans, the solution will be presented:

June 10 9:30 in the morning.

So in 5 days!
    Leif GW Persson: "The Skandia man" didn't murder Palme

Leif GW Persson does not believe that Stig Engström, the so-called Skandia man, murdered Olof Palme.

Many people believe that the Palme investigation will declare Engström the killer on Wednesday, but the police professor (GW Persson) is going against the stream.

- The Skandia man is wrong, according to my gut feeling, he says.
    edited June 2020
    Wednesday's press briefing about the Palme murder is expected to be historic - and Aftonbladet now reports that the government has already been informed.

Chief Prosecutor Krister Petersson has promised technical evidence and according to people with connections to the Social Democratic Party, the Palme investigators have secured a weapon:

- They have the murder weapon, says Social Democratic profile Daniel Suhonen.
    edited June 2020
    So, for tomorrow there seem to be two options for the solution:

- "The Skandia Man" which the newspapers are pushing.

- "South Africa" which Social Democratic insiders are saying is the case.

09:30 CET tomorrow. 34 years in the making. 

LETS DO THIS

After 34 Years, Sweden Says It Knows the Killer of Olof Palme

A prosecutor said there was “reasonable evidence” that the man who shot the Swedish prime minister was Stig Engstrom, a graphic designer, who took his own life in 2000.

Bedeviled for over 34 years by the mysterious killing of Olof Palme, the Swedish prime minister who was shot in the back by an unknown assailant on a quiet Stockholm street, Sweden’s judiciary finally made its case on Wednesday.

At a news conference in Stockholm, the prosecutor Krister Petersson said that there was “reasonable evidence” that the assailant was Stig Engstrom, a graphic designer at an insurance company, who killed himself in 2000, at the age of 66. He added that only a court could rule on whether Mr. Engstrom was guilty or not, but that since the suspect is deceased, there would be no court case.

But the prosecutor said he also could not rule out the possibility that Mr. Engstrom had acted as part of a larger conspiracy.

Mr. Petersson said he had reached his conclusions after an exhaustive investigation that he compared to those of the Kennedy assassination and the downing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

More at link: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/world/europe/sweden-olof-palme-murder.html

The investigation into the murder of Prime Minister Olof Palme is closed after 34 years, as the suspected perpetrator, Stig Engström, is dead.
    This was announced by prosecutor Krister Petersson and Detective Hans Melander on Wednesday. Hans Melander, however, does not believe that the murder is solved.

- No, I don't think the murder is solved. I think we have presented a theory. We have presented a presumed perpetrator who we believe is so suspicious that if he had lived, he should have been able to be arrested. I do not think that it is 100 percent proven that Engström is the perpetrator, definitely not, he tells SvD.

What are the weakest aspects of the course of events you put forth?
    - There are three points I would have liked to have seen were better investigated. I have some thoughts about the motive. There is a motive , among other things that he moved in Palme critical circles. I would very much like to see it be stronger.
    - I would very much like to know if he carried a weapon habitually. Or is it that he had a weapon just at that moment, and if so, why? Finally, I would very much like to know if he had any idea that the spouses Palme would come walking along the Sveaväg south at the time, or is it a mere coincidence that they came together. I would very much like to have investigated those three questions further.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2020
    What an intriguing story, thanks for sharing SC.  I definitely learned something new today.
    was he considered a really good prime minister at the time of his death?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited June 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    What an intriguing story, thanks for sharing SC.  I definitely learned something new today.
    was he considered a really good prime minister at the time of his death?
    He was a dividing politician. I think the Socialdemocrats had something like 45% support when he was killed and he was respected by most in Sweden. Both when it come to him handling national politics but also how he made Sweden a political force to be reckoned with internationally.

At the same time there was a widespread hatred that existed against him in Sweden - from the political right, from the business sector and within the police/military. 

An example that is usually brought up to show this, are these dartboards that was sold at the time:

Internationally he also made enemies. Which is also where the investigation has looked for people responsible for the assassination. 

From Wiki:

On the international scene, Palme was a widely recognised political figure because of his:

• harsh and emotional criticism of the United States over the Vietnam War; (S_C comment: Equating the US bombings in Vietnam to among other things, the Nazi concentration camps, making Nixon kick out the Swedish ambassador and calling Palme "that swedish asshole")
    • vocal opposition to the crushing of the Prague Spring by the Soviet Union;
    • criticism of European Communist regimes, including labeling the Husák regime as "The Cattle of Dictatorship" (Swedish: "Diktaturens kreatur") in 1975;
    • campaigning against nuclear weapons proliferation;
    • criticism of the Franco Regime in Spain, calling the regime "goddamn murderers" (Swedish: "satans mördare"; see Swedish profanity) after its execution of ETA and FRAP militants in September 1975
    •  opposition to apartheid, branding it as "a particularly gruesome system", and support for economic sanctions against South Africa
    • support, both political and financial, for the African National Congress (ANC), the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the POLISARIO Front;
    • visiting Fidel Castro's Cuba in 1975, during which he denounced Fulgencio Batista's government and praised contemporary Cuban revolutionaries;
    • strong criticism of the Pinochet regime in Chile;
    • support, both political and financial, for the FMLN-FDR in El Salvador and the FSLN in Nicaragua; and,
    • role as a mediator in the Iran–Iraq War

All of this ensured that Palme had many opponents as well as many friends abroad.[32]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olof_Palme

The first big lead in the investigation was the so called "PKK lead" with them suspecting kurds from the PKK has killed him. Later on South Africa has been a focus. Among "hobby investigators" the "police lead" has always been interesting, that it was a conspiracy within the police or military. But this guy they pointed out at the press briefing (without any real evidence or new information) was just a Swedish guy buy himself. The same with the guy who in the late 80s stood trial for the crime.

• TV-series on Netflix based on the book about the suspect:

https://youtu.be/Th6HuFO8ImE