Options

Which Professional Athlete Impacted You The Most?

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
After the passing of Kobe Bryant, it opened my eyes to how much of an impact he had on so many others.  I can't say I share that view of Kobe, but I did grow up idolizing pro athletes either in my present day, or those who I wasn't alive to see them at their peak.  Is there a pro athlete that either has or still does impact your life?
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    A guy who nobody knew about, as a professional athlete, other than his friends and family.  A bull rider, one of no particular success.  A guy who rode in the late 60s/early 70s.  His athletic legacy was only a busted up body (dozens of broken bones and a chronic back issue that bothered him the rest of his days) but the legacy he left for me was very real.

By the time I met him he was a salesman and I was a baby.

My old man 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    A guy who nobody knew about, as a professional athlete, other than his friends and family.  A bull rider, one of no particular success.  A guy who rode in the late 60s/early 70s.  His athletic legacy was only a busted up body (dozens of broken bones and a chronic back issue that bothered him the rest of his days) but the legacy he left for me was very real.

My old man 

you win the internet today. beautiful.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    pjhawks said:

My old man 

you win the internet today. beautiful.
    Agreed :)
  • Options

My old man 

I love it! 

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,742

My old man 

ESPN 30 for 30: Bucked and Fucked: Mr. F Me's overcoming of physical struggles to raise his own son.

Narrated by Tom Rinaldi airing Wednesday at 8 ET/7  CT
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    :lol:. No drama there.  Just a great dad!
  • Options
    Has kind of a Rudy-esque feel to it. Just sayin... 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Except he sent his son off to USC!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    =) Poor parenting! 
  • Options
    Haha.  
    I'm sorry I derailed this thread by not posting Joe Montana....but honestly I would be unlikely to put any athlete here if it wasn't for my dad being a "professional athlete", in as much as he did manage to make some money letting bulls toss him around and step on him.

• Options
    No apologies needed.  
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2020
    Dave Lumley.  Played for the Edmonton Oilers in the 80s.  Was a coach at Okanagan Hockey School I attended as a 12 year old here in Calgary.  He was just great with all of us.  Encouraging and funny he gave all the kids lots of attention. He made a star struck kid realize that pro hockey players are just people too.  For the rest of my life I’ve never looked at any celebrity any differently. 
     I think they traded him to Hartford a year or so later. 
    That I fondly remember all of that 33 years later tells me he was the pro athlete that impacted me the most. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on