Wrapped or unwrapped, vinyl question.

I have collected pretty much each album on vinyl, including the 7" 10c singles every year since about 1998.  I have always kept 1 of the singles (me and wife have membership) wrapped, and each and every album is still sealed.  I have to itch to break them out and start listening to them.  But how will that affect collectibility (sic)?  I would like to maybe pass these down to my 3 boys or even sell as a set at one point.  What to do?

Comments

• NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    Sealed could warp the vinyl, but if you don't plan to ever play it sealed is more valuable 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    I have collected pretty much each album on vinyl, including the 7" 10c singles every year since about 1998.  I have always kept 1 of the singles (me and wife have membership) wrapped, and each and every album is still sealed.  I have to itch to break them out and start listening to them.  But how will that affect collectibility (sic)?  I would like to maybe pass these down to my 3 boys or even sell as a set at one point.  What to do?
    Don’t you want your boys to listen to them?
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • tdawe said:
    Don’t you want your boys to listen to them?
    Yes I do, all my boys grew up on PJ, heck one play's them on his guitar all the time with no input from me.  And we all know there is something mystical about the little black circle, how do they make all the noise with a little needle and plastic, lol.  I'm just worried it will be a one time thing them, "Yeah Dad, that's cool and all" and back to there headsets.
  • I play all my records including Benny Hall without any restraint. I even slot some  of those 45's in my jukebox from time to time. 
     I take great care of them and will also pass 'em on like my dad passed his Beatles & Ccr records (who still play great BTW, even though back then most people didn't take great care of their collection).
    It's your call. But I don't think you'd regret opening them the second you'd drop that needle!  Whenever I play the La forum vault, it brings me back to that 98 your the way nothing else can. Not even the boots of the show's I've seen. 

My two cents
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    if you want to resell it keep it sealed, put a small slit in the plastic somewhere to allow expansion/contraction without pressure. 

If you are not going to resell it-

Oh see my hand
    Drop, drop, dropping it down
    oh so gently
    here it comes
    touch the flame
    Turn me up
    won't turn you away
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    spin the black, spin the black
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    whoa
    Pull it out
    a paper sleeve
    Oh my joy
    only you deserve conceit
    Oh I'm so big
    and my whole world
    I'd rather you
    rather you, than her
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    whoa
    Oh you're so warm
    oh, the ritual
    as I lay down your crooked arm
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin the black
    circle
    Spin the black circle
    Spin the black circle
  • hrd2imgn said:
    if you want to resell it keep it sealed, put a small slit in the plastic somewhere to allow expansion/contraction without pressure. 

If you are not going to resell it-

Oh see my hand
    Drop, drop, dropping it down
    oh so gently
    here it comes
    touch the flame
    Turn me up
    won't turn you away
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    whoa
    Pull it out
    a paper sleeve
    Oh my joy
    only you deserve conceit
    Oh I'm so big
    and my whole world
    I'd rather you
    rather you, than her
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    whoa
    Oh you're so warm
    oh, the ritual
    as I lay down your crooked arm
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin, spin
    spin the black circle
    Spin, spin
    Spin the black
    circle
    Spin the black circle
    Spin the black circle

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I’m the exact opposite of the people that collect vinyl and keep it sealed. All of my vinyl is open, even the records that have never been played. I like reading through the liner notes, checking out the colours of the special editions etc. I know it will be played eventually, and it’s not an investment to be resold, so there’s no reason for me to keep them sealed.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Play that shit.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Another thing to bear in mind is that we’re in the midst of a vinyl boom, so prices are high. Broadly speaking you probably shouldn’t be looking at your records as an investment that will appreciate - if that what you want there are much better ways to get it. If you insist on looking at it that way, the items most likely to retain their value are the ones that are truly limited, and by that I don’t mean color variants but recordings that were distributed in a limited fashion one time and they probably won’t be making any more of. So in Pearl Jam terms, your Vaults (or Bennies if you’re lucky enough to have one). OPs and color variants will lose their value when the broader market ebbs a la comic books in the late 90s. Repressed and any non-limited items being pressed now don’t really have much value to begin with. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • If you are considering keeping these as an investment in your children’s future, I recommend selling all the sealed vinyl, taking that money and investing it. Your return will be much, much greater. Vinyl is not a commodity market. You need to decide if you want to give your children money in the future or the joy of playing vinyl. You won’t be able to have both, because to play it, they will have to unseal it. And if they are going to unseal it, might as well do it now.
  • If you are considering keeping these as an investment in your children’s future, I recommend selling all the sealed vinyl, taking that money and investing it. Your return will be much, much greater. Vinyl is not a commodity market. You need to decide if you want to give your children money in the future or the joy of playing vinyl. You won’t be able to have both, because to play it, they will have to unseal it. And if they are going to unseal it, might as well do it now.

Nailed it. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    100%. Enjoy your things. They're never worth what you think they'll be worth. This will be especially true once Gen-X dies out.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Open the albums.  They arent worth much.  A sealed Christmas single from the 90s is pretty cool tho. 
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    edited February 2020
    Life is short and does not go as planned. Who needs regrets, and unfortunately too much crap happens unexpectedly. You can replace the stuff on the shelf that sits, but if you spin the vinyl you will always have the memories of unwrapping, the smell of the vinyl, and gently laying the needle down. Here is the best part, don't deny the kids of having that memory with you. Btw, crank it. 
    Post edited by densan on
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Why would you buy something with a practical purpose and just let it sit on a shelf? You aren’t promised a tomorrow and neither are your children. These aren’t the Crown Jewels. You’re not going to pay your grandkids college tuition with a PJ vinyl collection. I suspect that the novelty of the vinyl resurgence will wain and with all the studio albums having been  repressed.. I’m just saying that vinyl is likely not a practical long term investment.  The memories you make spinning these records will be worth far more than these sealed pieces of plastic and paper on your shelf will ever be.  
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    densan said:
    Life is short and does not go as planned. Who needs regrets, and unfortunately too much crap happens unexpectedly. You can replace the stuff on the shelf that sits, but if you spin the vinyl you will always have the memories of unwrapping, the smell of the vinyl, and gently laying the needle down. Here is the best part, don't deny the kids of having that memory with you. Btw, crank it. 
    Well said.