Options

RIP Kirk Douglas

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
Michael Douglas confirmed the news in an Instagram post

"It is with tremendous sadness that my brothers and I announce that Kirk Douglas left us today at the age of 103. To the world he was a legend, an actor from the golden age of movies who lived well into his golden years, a humanitarian whose commitment to justice and the causes he believed in set a standard for all of us to aspire to.

But to me and my brothers Joel and Peter he was simply Dad, to Catherine, a wonderful father-in-law, to his grandchildren and great grandchild their loving grandfather, and to his wife Anne, a wonderful husband.

Kirk's life was well lived, and he leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and a history as a renowned philanthropist who worked to aid the public and bring peace to the planet.

Let me end with the words I told him on his last birthday and which will always remain true. Dad- I love you so much and I am so proud to be your son."

“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)

Comments

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    103, wow, what a life.  I need to check out his wiki, not familiar with his movies but I'm sure seen some over the years.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    What a loss.  Even at 103, it's sad to see him go.  What a great actor and, from all I've read, a splendid individual. 
    My favorite rolls of his from three great films:

Vincent Van Gogh

Jack Burns in "Lonely are the Brave"

Spartacus

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Didn’t know he played Van Gogh, will check that out!