Passport needed to drive from U.S. to Canada?

I was toying with the idea of venturing up north.
However, my passport expired in 2012(bonehead move)
I cannot find much clarity when I Google stuff regarding if one requires a passport to both enter Canada by car and also regain entry into the U.S.?
Thanks in advance  :)
2013 Baltimore
2016 Philly1 
2016 Fenway2
2016 Wrigley 2
2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
2018 Seattle1
2018 Seattle2
2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
2024 Baltimore 

Comments

• link93link93 Posts: 410
    Yes it is required. This changed several years ago. 
  • Passport or passport card is needed
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Americans with an Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) or Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) from Washington State, Minnesota, South Dakota, Michigan, New York, or Vermont are allowed to travel to Canada without a Passport. Enhanced Driver's Licenses are only valid for land and marine crossings, however, so you will not be able to fly to Canada with one.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    What about driving back though?
  • PJNB said:

Passport/Passport card is required for entry to the US
  • I went down and talked to the folks at the post office and they told me that a card was sufficient to get back and forth.  But I have a friend who goes to Quebec all the time and he swears that he gets through with just an ID and birth certificate.  I don't have a passport and not sure I could even get one in time, and it seems like a pretty big risk to go without one.  I have pretty sweet tix to QC that I will end up putting on the exchange. 
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Posts: 684
    You have time. Just have to pay extra to expedite. Do it soon.
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    Just get a passport. You need it to go to any other country, and it’s a handy form of second i.d.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    For those looking to make the trek up be sure the driver doesn’t have any impaired driving convictions. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Get your passport.

You never know when you will have to "BUG OUT" of trumps America.

10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    I made this mistake back in 2005 for the Kitchener show. They welcomed us into Canada with open arms. Told them we were going to see Pearl Jam and the kid at the booth was like, "Wish I could go, have fun" Now coming back into the US was a whole different story. Seven hour delay, took his car through the x-ray machine and all this was after driving home after the after-party. My friend who had his passport wasn't real happy with me. Now we look back and laugh.

Things were different then
  • 100 Pacer said:
    For those looking to make the trek up be sure the driver doesn’t have any impaired driving convictions. 
    Actually, not restricted to just the driver. Anybody with any conviction can be denied entry...and if you get caught lying it could be a lifetime ban.
  • And if renting a car, be sure to inspect it completely before leaving the rental car company.  For the 2013 London, Canada show I got randomly stopped at the border on my return to the US and they found drug paraphernalia in the trunk.  One of the most unreal few hours of my life.  And at the show I had been standing very near a cloud of constant weed smoke.  So I was certain the dogs were going to pick up on that when they were sniffing the car.  I think the only thing that saved me was that they found the item in the trunk and I had no idea how to open the trunk (the border agent thought I was a complete idiot for not knowing how).  Gives me shivers still to this day thinking back about that.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    And if renting a car, be sure to inspect it completely before leaving the rental car company.  For the 2013 London, Canada show I got randomly stopped at the border on my return to the US and they found drug paraphernalia in the trunk.  One of the most unreal few hours of my life.  And at the show I had been standing very near a cloud of constant weed smoke.  So I was certain the dogs were going to pick up on that when they were sniffing the car.  I think the only thing that saved me was that they found the item in the trunk and I had no idea how to open the trunk (the border agent thought I was a complete idiot for not knowing how).  Gives me shivers still to this day thinking back about that.
    No border agents here—you can drop the act. 
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    You have time to get a passport. We expedited my wife’s renewal for the extra $60 fee, and had the new one in 2.5 weeks. Speaking to others, this timeframe is pretty typical right now. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    yanknuck said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Actually, not restricted to just the driver. Anybody with any conviction can be denied entry...and if you get caught lying it could be a lifetime ban.
    Didn’t know it could apply to all occupants; however, it makes perfect sense.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    100 Pacer said:
    yanknuck said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Everyone in the vehicle are crossing the border. Whether driving or as a passenger...

The last time we were in Canada was prior to the passport requirement. We took our daughter. She is adopted and we had to wait the 11 1/2 months to get her birth certificate prior to crossing. The border agent asked if she was our child by birth. I said no. I brought her adoption decree just in case. Glad that I did. Turns out that we needed it. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    100 Pacer said:
    yanknuck said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Yes. New law went into effect a few months ago making it more difficult to enter Canada with a record, especially DUI/DWI.  I thought I might be good since it’s been almost 20 years since my incident. Spoke with a family member that is an immigration attorney, and was told good luck.  There is a whole process now requiring filling paperwork to become a temporary resident of Canada, and even that doesn’t necessarily grant you permission to enter.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    Worth it to get the passport. I finally got mine for the last Hip tour in 2016, paid a little extra  to expedite and got it back very quick. But we had different people running the State Dept back then.
  • pages_in_a_bookpages_in_a_book Posts: 55
    edited February 2020
    confirmed last year. getting into Canada is easy getting back into the u.s. afteward requires identification at a federally acceptable level, i.e. a passport or equivalent

Post edited by pages_in_a_book on
    something to remember me by
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock
    2003--San Antonio--Dallas
    2020--The Long Road to OKC #20
  • They don't want you back, just stay. Declare refugee status from orange guy. I have a couch.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,679
    I got a DUI 20 years ago and have never had a problem getting in to US or back into Canada. I have never beefed asked either and if I did I would tell them. My record is clean other than that
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    edited February 2020
    BLACK35 said:
    I got a DUI 20 years ago and have never had a problem getting in to US or back into Canada. I have never beefed asked either and if I did I would tell them. My record is clean other than that
    It's Canada that is strict about it. You're Canadian, so that's why you have no problem getting back into Canada. But an American with that on their record could have a big problem when trying to enter Canada, if it comes up. Of course, it might not come up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 208

PJNB said:

This is actually incorrect. If you are traveling via a land crossing, an enhanced driver's license will work. You do not need a passport to enter Canada or return to the U.S.

And on the DUI thing, if it is older than 10 years, you are typically deemed rehabilitated and allowed access to Canada. The new law passed in 2018 only applies proactively, not retroactively. I say typically because it is always up to the specific border agent when entering Canada. They have full authority to deny you access for any reason. So don't give them one. If they ask about your DUI, be honest. If it's sooner than 10 years old, you are taking a chance.
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,416
    edited February 2020
    max8700 said:

PJNB said:

This is actually incorrect. If you are traveling via a land crossing, an enhanced driver's license will work. You do not need a passport to enter Canada or return to the U.S.

And on the DUI thing, if it is older than 10 years, you are typically deemed rehabilitated and allowed access to Canada. The new law passed in 2018 only applies proactively, not retroactively. I say typically because it is always up to the specific border agent when entering Canada. They have full authority to deny you access for any reason. So don't give them one. If they ask about your DUI, be honest. If it's sooner than 10 years old, you are taking a chance.
    The enhanced license only applies to residents of certain border states, correct?
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited February 2020
    max8700 said:

PJNB said:

The enhanced license only applies to residents of certain border states, correct?
    Yes.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    No reason that I can think of not to get a passport, and it will save so much anxiety for the OP and others. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf