Pearl Jam SuperBowl Petition

13»

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    rummy said:
    I gotta admit that I much prefer the wildcard, divisional, and conference championship rounds to the Super Bowl. Maybe they can play during one of those! 
    The annual Thursday night clash between the jags and Titans would work too.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    JF116983 said:
    a musician wants as many people as possible to hear his/her music - why gig can you get a world wide audience of 100,000,000? 

That’s a chance to have people listen to you across genres, which can lead to more sales of your albums etc.

in fact I am pretty sure any non-famous musician would play the SuperBowl without a second thought if offered the gig, why wouldn’t PJ accept? 

They worked with another Sports League (MLB) to release an exclusive concert so why not play to 100m people and possible obtain new fans?
    Yes non-famous musicians might love to play it for the exposure, but Pearl Jam are one of the most successful rock bands still around.
    They can do whatever they want.  If they want to sell out baseball stadiums, they play baseball stadiums.  If they wanted to do a small theatre tour or play smaller venues like Red Rocks, they'd do it.

They don't need the exposure to 100 million people, and some fans would find it kind of lame.

What else do you want them to do?  Do you want to see them play the Grammys now that they have a new album?
    I'm sure they'll do a few late night shows which is cool and normal, but the Super Bowl is a ridiculous production with medleys and costume changes.  It's meant for the Britney Spears pop stars, not incredibly talented rock and roll musicians (with all due respect to Prince and the handful of others that had watchable performances).
    Tom Petty, Bruce, The Who, i.e., the band's heroes have all played the Super Bowl halftime show
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    SHZA said:
    JF116983 said:
    a musician wants as many people as possible to hear his/her music - why gig can you get a world wide audience of 100,000,000? 

That’s a chance to have people listen to you across genres, which can lead to more sales of your albums etc.

in fact I am pretty sure any non-famous musician would play the SuperBowl without a second thought if offered the gig, why wouldn’t PJ accept? 

They worked with another Sports League (MLB) to release an exclusive concert so why not play to 100m people and possible obtain new fans?
    Yes non-famous musicians might love to play it for the exposure, but Pearl Jam are one of the most successful rock bands still around.
    They can do whatever they want.  If they want to sell out baseball stadiums, they play baseball stadiums.  If they wanted to do a small theatre tour or play smaller venues like Red Rocks, they'd do it.

They don't need the exposure to 100 million people, and some fans would find it kind of lame.

What else do you want them to do?  Do you want to see them play the Grammys now that they have a new album?
    I'm sure they'll do a few late night shows which is cool and normal, but the Super Bowl is a ridiculous production with medleys and costume changes.  It's meant for the Britney Spears pop stars, not incredibly talented rock and roll musicians (with all due respect to Prince and the handful of others that had watchable performances).
    Tom Petty, Bruce, The Who, i.e., the band's heroes have all played the Super Bowl halftime show

Yep.

I don't really care to see this happen, but a lot of the arguments against it sound like people want the band to feel about the Super Bowl Halftime Show they way they feel about the Super Bowl Halftime Show. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks said:
    JF116983 said:

It was good enough for The Who, Sprinsgsteen, Petty, and McCartney

Back before it was an embassment.  Try getting Springsteen again.  That is the biggest waste of 30 minutes in Sports OR Music history.  If you give a shit about who plays music at Halftime of the superbowl, then you are part of the reason that it is as big of an embarrasment as it is.  Just let them play the stupid game to the billion or so people that are watching for the commercials, and stop trying to make the "evenflow" of the superbowl into something other than a piss break.
    oh i agree about it being a waste and don't want or expect PJ to ever do it, BUT let's not pretend PJ is too good for it.  Some of the world's biggest Rock and Roll Legends have played the Super Bowl.
  • NO FREAKIN WAY! .....and the good news is the band would never stoop that low and do it. Its reserved for lip syncing has beens
  • I think your petition is gonna be a few signatures short....Actually, you may be the only one on it. That's a BIG no from me. Can we start a petition for them to NEVER play the Super Bowl halftime show  This would be a disaster!
    3-19-94, 8-18-98, 8-18-00, 10-08-00, 10-09-00, 11-06-00, 6-02-03, 6-03-03, 6-05-03, 6-06-03, 6-07-03, 10-25-03(bridge), 10-26-03(bridge), 10-28-03, 7-06-06, 7-07-06, 7-09-06, 7-10-06, 7-13-06, 7-22-06, 7-23-06, 8-5-07, 06-22-08, 06-24-08, 08-21-08(EV), 08-22-08(EV), 8-23-09, 8-24-09, 10-06-09, 10-07-09, 10-09-09, 05-07-10, 09-03-11, 09-04-11, 07-19-13, 10-16-14, 10-17-14, 10-19-14, 10-20-14, 04-26-16, 08-20-16, 08-22-16, 08-18-18, 08-20-18, 09-05-23, 09-18-23, 09-19-23.
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    rummy said:
    Maybe Radiohead will perform!
    ROTFL!!!  Well done. 

I mean, they WOULD play it, except Thom has a rehearsal for a special show with a mariachi band that day...
  • JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176

You guys are being unreasonable, PJ’s hero’s have all played the Super Bowl (the cover their songs for crying out loud). Also, the list of rock bands/acts below fits PJ doing it:

• Prince
    • Paul McCartney
    • U2
    • Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    • Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    • The Who
    • The Rolling Stones
    • Aerosmith
    • Sting
    • No Doubt
    • Coldplay
    • Red Hot Chili Peppers

I believe it will happen now with PJ working with MLB, just a matter of time. Great exposure to new fans and I am sure everyone on this board will see it.

Guess I’m not the only one with this idea:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/super-bowl-halftime-show-2020/

Pearl Jam

Eddie Vedder and company are accustomed to playing in stadiums, albeit for a different sport. The avid baseball fans have performed at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, Seattle’s Safeco Field and Boston’s Fenway Park. Still, transitioning from the diamond to the football field wouldn’t be difficult for one of the biggest bands in America. With nearly 30 years of material to work with, the band could easily compile an entertaining and compelling set. They've announced the long-awaited 'Gigaton' album, meaning Pearl Jam will also have something new to promote prior to a future performance. They joined forces with the Seattle Seahawks in 2018 for a pair of charity performances, meaning a collaboration with the NFL isn’t completely off the table.

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    i think tame impala would be a better choice .  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    They should just go back to Up With People.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RhinoJamRhinoJam Posts: 596
    Gotta be a solid no on that request unless they extend half time to 3 hours.
    Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • I guess I don't see why it matters. It's not like I can get tickets to it. How would it be enjoyable for me as a fan to see a pre-taped medley of Alive, Evenflow, Elderly Woman, Given to Fly, The Fixer and DotC?