Shelved 2018 album??

The recent Jonathan Cohen article about Gigaton mentions Retrograde being pulled from a 2017 recording session.  Cant Deny Me was released in March 2018 with a mention of it being from their forthcoming album and was recorded during a recording session the month prior with Brendan O' Brien producing.  Typically the guys have a history of recording albums in 2-3 separate recording sessions each taking 2-3 weeks and each producing at least 5 songs.  For example lightning bolt was recorded in 2 recording sessions.  The first in 2011 that also produced Ole.  The 2nd in the spring of 2013.  So we know they had a recording session sometime in 2017 and another in February 2018.  Apparently only Retrograde from those sessions is on Gigaton and the rest of Gigaton was recorded in April and Aug/Sept of 2019 according to pearljamonline.it.  So that means there are probably an albums worth of unreleased songs from those 2017 and 2018 recording sessions that originally were probably planned for a 2018 release that would have included Cant Deny Me and Retrograde.  Obviously the band must not have been satisfied with the result and started over in 2019.  I hope interviewers ask the guys about this in upcoming interviews about Gigaton.
Summerfest 7/8/95
Missoula 6/20/98
Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
Champaign 4/23/03
Alpine Valley 6/21/03
Missoula 8/29/05
Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
Grand Rapids 5/19/06
Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
Tampa 6/12/08
Chicago 8/23/09
Indy 5/7/10
Alpine Valley x2 2011
Wrigley 2013
Milwaukee 14
Telluride 16

Comments

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I hope we end up getting a Lost Dogs 2 eventually featuring stuff that's been shelved since the Avacado sessions. I really miss all the b-sides & one off songs we used to get.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I hope we end up getting a Lost Dogs 2 eventually featuring stuff that's been shelved since the Avacado sessions. I really miss all the b-sides & one off songs we used to get.
    I miss the b-sides, but given they haven't released any in a long time means they are stockpiling leftover material.   If the band ever decides to retire, it's kind of nice knowing they have a stockpile of unreleased material saved for a rainy day.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 655
    Could we call it Lost Kittens?

Image result for kittens

I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
    Zod said:
    I miss the b-sides, but given they haven't released any in a long time means they are stockpiling leftover material.   If the band ever decides to retire, it's kind of nice knowing they have a stockpile of unreleased material saved for a rainy day.
     That's definitely a positive. The 2 songs that were on YT a few years back both were really good. Counting "Out Of Sand" there were at least 3 songs over the past couple of years. "Hold On" & the Binaural era stuff was a nice surprise when LD came out.
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 981
    I doubt there was a shelved album. I respect your sleuthing ability, but I think you're trying to connect dots that don't line up to anything meaningful. 

For example, Of The Earth was a piece that they messed around with during the Avocado sessions. Started playing it live in 2010. Everyone thought it would be on Lightning Bolt when that came out and some people even thought it might be on Gigaton based on the "earth" concept it looks like is taking place. And as we know, it's not. 

Also, I heard Pendulum is originally from the Backspacer sessions, but as we know didn't appear until Lightning Bolt. 

My point is that there are plenty of songs from different recording sessions in the past where some never saw the light of day and others were just released as a one off. Others have versions they are comfortable playing live (Of The Earth), but the band has never liked the way it sounded when they put it down in the studio. So if we're looking at history to give us an answer, there are plenty examples of songs from the past that for no rhyme or reason were shelved and the timing or what album was subsequently released doesn't add up. 

Like someone else pointed out, will probably be something similar to Lost Dogs released down the road. There are songs from lots of different recording sessions that never saw the light of day. But that doesn't mean a whole albums was being contemplated or written when the were written. 
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20 (Canceled)
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 9/10/23 (Canceled)
    Indianapolis, IN - 8/26/24
    The 2 songs that were on YT a few years back both were really good.
    What is YT?
    ddeschler said:
    The 2 songs that were on YT a few years back both were really good.
    What is YT?
    YouTube
    What were the names of the songs?
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    edited January 2020

Post edited by Sea on
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    edited January 2020

Post edited by Sea on
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    b sides yes please
    danny d
  • JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232
    edited January 2020
    Post deleted.
    Post edited by Sea on
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    The forthcoming album featuring Can't Deny Me and produced by BoB never forthcame. I absolutely believe it was shelved. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,738
    I don't think theres a scrapped album. Theres probably a few scrapped songs. It was probably always a work in progress and maybe it came together better with more recent stuff. So theres probably some songs that were scrapped. I don't think there is another record there. I'm sure we'll hear more about it during promotion.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I feel like it's in the middle.  Given there were a few sessions with BoB it feels like it would be more than a couple of songs.  On the other hand would they record a whole album, and start over.   Maybe it's somewhere between an EP and LP.  6 to 12 songs before they decided to start over.  All guesses though.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Yes, there may not be a full, completed album sitting on a shelf. There definitely was a planned album, and there were obviously songs recorded. Eventually, for whatever reason, they changed producers and went in a different direction.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    JimmyV said:
    The forthcoming album featuring Can't Deny Me and produced by BoB never forthcame. I absolutely believe it was shelved. 
    Ya I mean it's pretty blunt.  They had to have been pretty far along in the process to release the song and call it the first single from the forthcoming album.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Did BoB do Again Today with them?
    looking to hear of the earth
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 460
    JimmyV said:
    Ya I mean it's pretty blunt.  They had to have been pretty far along in the process to release the song and call it the first single from the forthcoming album.
    I think this is accurate.  I thought I also read a quote from Stone or Ed saying they chose CDM as one of their favorite SONGS from the recording sessions. I could be mistaken.  
    edited January 2020
    Post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    dr122931 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think this is accurate.  I thought I also read a quote from Stone or Ed saying they chose CDM as one of their favorite SONGS from the recording sessions. I could be mistaken.  
    Stone said that 
  • The process must have been pretty far along when they announced forthcoming album when can’t deny me was released. There’s definitely a lost album in their vault. 
  • JG108535JG108535 Posts: 187
    edited January 2020

I've been banned from this board for 30 days for discussing the quoted content.
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited January 2020
    I got a strike/warning to my youtube account for uploading the items discussed in the quote way back when.

Wonder why they stopped caring. LOST CATS got shelved?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • i am happy that can't deny me did not make the cut on this album. we haven't heard the album yet, but based on can't deny me, i think it is addition by subtraction. just my opinion.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,011
    Please respect an artist's copyright. Linking to or otherwise promoting stolen art is prohibited. Leaked songs are stolen songs and not ok to discuss here. Thank you for your cooperation.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    Take the scrapped songs, mix them, cobble together an EP, and send it off as the final annual 10C singles. Call it The Virtue of Patience and use a picture of Matlock for the cover art.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    Ditto
  • fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited January 2020
    Zod said:

This is true.They have songs out there which other  bands can only dream of .making . Some have leaked,  Other didnt..  I remember how stoked I was when I saw Fatal (whch had that punkrock vibe to it.) and Sad (a.k.a. Letters to the Dead),which was imo a ballad. and who had also been mentioned in the original tracklist of Binaural, but didn't make the cut.  .I was off, and  not by a little, in the end, I was off by light years (pun intended) I was wrong about the texture  and I was complety wrong of course re.te. songs, the texure or  their meanig . Fatal was the ballad, and Sad was the rocker. Then we had Hitchiker (a song, never heard of before, which had very good lyrics) that had somethimg like Black. Red, Yellow.

I mean as an artist. in my case a writer, a lot of stuff ends up on the cuttng room floor and were are the poorest judges.. Simply. because we .dont hear what we set out to hear. But the listener\audiece  doesn't know about these struggles; they value the song on its own  merrts. Their reaction may differ more than we expected. I had similar experiences. Stories that ended up my dustbin and someone saw it, found it and said: "This is your best thing you have done". Or stories that you sent in for a good cause, because they did'nt  fit in, atmopserically\\thematically,in your current project, Pearl Jam is a very thematically oriented band And then you read/ hear the outcome and you are simarly surprised. (Remember the faces of Ed Vedder and Stone Gossard after singing "The other side" - complete surprise. This is what I mean with the discrepany between the artist, the presumtpion of the artist and the reaction of the audieuce.

I think that Fatal, Sad, Hitchiker can be played more often. Not to ,mentiol of "'Other side" or "Strangest Tribe". And God knows how mayy jewels are out there. I created anothe thread here at The Porch, called "Stray Cats", it is a good summary of titles mentioned, nut never heard.

That said are you also stoked about the lenghts of the new songs: "Who Ever Said" 5.11, which makes it the longest opener, Seven O'clock, 6.14, Comes then Goes, 6,02, and the last song 5,53. which makes this album with longest songs ever. If google is correct that is.
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Maybe, after actually listening to Can't Deny me, they decided it was a piece of shit, hastily produced, to "get Trump".  It had the desired affect, but it is still a piece of shit.  Then they really got together to make a new album, and decided to write some original music, that wasn't dog shit, and decided to dump that piece of crap.