Options

Meaning of Clairvoyant

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
I'm doing some research on the term "clairvoyant" just to try to get inside of the head of the guys.  What's most interesting is that you can use it as a noun or adjective.  They use the term as a noun in the title of "Dance of the Clairvoyants" but if you just look up "clairvoyance" there may be more insight as to why they use this term.  Anyone else have an opinion?

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
Post edited by Glorified KC on

Comments

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tish said:
    I like linguistics, so without looking up where the word stems originated from, my knowledge of French allowed me to perceive 'Clairvoyant' as 'clear'/'to see', or to see clearly. When Ed sings of 'Clavirvoyants/ce in a trance' it is, in this context, an oxymoron for those who see clearly while in a trance.

When put in context of the song, first Ed sings of 'numbers falling of the calendar floor' (as if he'd entered a room, saw a mess of papers on the floor from a trippy automated clock that rips the numbered pages off daily, and saw how long had passed since his last visit). Then, there is another oxymoronic reference of 'collecting forget-me-nots' (the flowers represent true love) and not recalling what they are for (word play), finally climaxing with, 'I'm in love with Clairvoyants' (using the word as noun).

Finally, reflect upon how he is in 'love with Clairvoyants because they're out of this world'. You could see it as wanting the end, flirting with death/and the other side and be worried/sad that he has to stand back from that? Or then again, maybe he just loves clairvoyant people.

Hearing him sing this, followed by the sexy murmur of his voice at the end of the song, makes me fall for him even a bit more. 
    Cool take @tish !

“One who sees clearly” is a definition I found.  I’m sure Ed would appreciate or love someone like that.  Maybe he’s complicating those that are seeing clearly and are not delusional.
  • Options
    I keep gravitating toward a reference on Parapsychology (hence the Peter Venkman photo above).  Where it brings up the definition as claiming the existence of the paranormal.  If you think about the perception of that field of science, it's more discussing the claims of something without actual scientific data.

"Claims for the existence of paranormal and psychic abilities such as clairvoyance have not been supported by scientific evidence published in high-impact-factor peer-reviewed journals."

My take is we live under an administration who would rather stick to principles and perceptions of the past and turn a blind eye toward issues like Climate Change.  They treat those who are warning us of a future where we continue to wear down our planet as someone who is "seeing ghosts" and trying to predict the future.  We're just a bunch of "clairvoyants" who are seeing ghosts and don't have any legit rationale as to why we want to back initiatives to prolong the health of the Earth.  It's a huge bag of denial by many conservatives.