Ticketing Tragedy or Strategy?

MP109216MP109216 Posts: 7
edited January 2020 in The Porch
I have to believe that ticketing was purposely made difficult, and that the plan was to shut fans out for publicity. This is all in hopes of adding dates and a 3rd leg of the tour. Too many fans shut out means too much money left on the table. Thoughts?
Post edited by MP109216 on

Comments

• Who will be at the shows if the fans were shut out?

• Bots
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,671
    MP109216 said:
    I have to believe that ticketing was purposely made difficult, and that the plan was to shut fans out for publicity. This is all in hopes of adding dates and a 3rd leg of the tour. Too many fans shut out means too much money left on the table. Thoughts?
    Glad to see that someone figured out the conspiracy between Pearl Jam the band, TM, Tickets Today, and the illuminati to not only keep the tickets out of the hands of real true hardcore fans but to get them into the grimy paws of the ticket brokers/scalpers. 
  • EugeneEugene Posts: 124
    Please leave my life 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Organizing a huge fanclub lottery and offering a Verified Fan sale is a strange way to keep fans out of your shows. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    Nominee for most non-logical thread of the year.  Hats off to you!
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    I've been missing out on Pearl Jam tickets since back when I needed my dad to drive me to the Ticketmaster kiosk in the mall at 7 am. And to this very day, every time it happens my first instinct is to think "who screwed me and how?" rather than just accepting that supply will never, ever meet demand.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • Fans will be at the shows, but at what cost to the fans?  I have no doubts that tons of tickets ended up in the hands of resellers or TMs own pockets.  They salivated at the opportunity to milk the fan base for PJ I'm sure.

This tour is shaping up to be pretty good for the non-10C fans, but what a catastrophe for the trust of the 10C being a benefit for fans getting tickets.
  • RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    You mean a tragedy? Thread needs a dog pic.
  • Its not rocket science. Are you telling me they do not know how many members they have, and cant plan for everyone to get a ticket? Come on guys
  • LOL.  I kinda forgot how insane this place gets when tickets go on sale.....
    matt.watt said:
    Fans will be at the shows, but at what cost to the fans?  I have no doubts that tons of tickets ended up in the hands of resellers or TMs own pockets.  They salivated at the opportunity to milk the fan base for PJ I'm sure.

This tour is shaping up to be pretty good for the non-10C fans, but what a catastrophe for the trust of the 10C being a benefit for fans getting tickets.
    You have this backwards. Tons of tickets ended up in the hands of 10C members via the lotteries, which made the public sales that much more difficult.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • RK50065 said:

• Nominee for most non-logical thread of the year.  Hats off to you!
    I wasn't wearing a hat...so I scalped myself....that is my commitment to the "Hat's off to you!" statement....pure genius on the OP's part...
    edited January 2020
    "No, really. This guy on the internet thinks there was a grand conspiracy by the band to keep their fans from seeing the shows. Honest to God. He really thinks this."
    Post edited by JimmyV on

RK50065 said:

OK, that one made me laugh.
  • RK50065 said:
    Image result for mangy dog gif
  • or:
    Image result for mangy dog gif
  • See, now that's just mean. That puppy was abandoned.

There's a skill to this guys. You can't just do whatever all willy nilly.
  • Here's the same dog a few years later after being rescued (not joking).

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    TRAGEDY!!! GOt shut out of my backyard show!!! 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    MP109216 said:
    Its not rocket science. Are you telling me they do not know how many members they have, and cant plan for everyone to get a ticket? Come on guys
    You’re right it’s not rocket science. Demand outweighs the supply. 
    Here's the same dog a few years later after being rescued (not joking).

Love this. 

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Man some of you are fucking bonkers 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • tdawe said:
    matt.watt said:
    Fans will be at the shows, but at what cost to the fans?  I have no doubts that tons of tickets ended up in the hands of resellers or TMs own pockets.  They salivated at the opportunity to milk the fan base for PJ I'm sure.

You have this backwards. Tons of tickets ended up in the hands of 10C members via the lotteries, which made the public sales that much more difficult.
    Yeah I think the fan to fan exchange also made it that much harder cause there’s really no risk for buying more than you need. Say you won 10c tickets, what’s to stop you from seeing if you can get a pair in the public sale and then choose between them when you find out where your 10c tix are?
  • See, now that's just mean. That puppy was abandoned.

There's a skill to this guys. You can't just do whatever all willy nilly.
    As the perp for the willy-nilly-ness, I must confess that I had a moment of trepidation before posting...that didn't stop me though, as I looked for a tragic puppy picture and think that I nicely covered all my bases....If I was off anywhere, it really doesn't look much like a puppy...
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    I tend to think this worked out pretty good.     There's the first round that all goes to 10c members (whether you won or lost, that's a significant portion that goes straight to 10c'ers).  After that they used verified fan, which is TM using algorithms to try and predict whether or not you use tickets you purchase.  Only after that did the leftovers go to regular sale.  In addition they're making the tickets non-transferable so they can't be scalped (and someone how talked TM into developing a portal for fans to buy/sell at face value).

It seems to me (several glitches asides) that out of any concert's I've seen, these ones are most likely to have tickets go directly to fans, and not to scalpers.   The exceptions being the two states where it was illegal for them to do.    

If you're going to sell tickets for less then they're worth, you need this level of security or scalpers will have a field day (like the two states where they couldn't lock it down).

I also think it has to do with population density.   Oakland didn't seem that hard to get tickets, but Oakland/San Fran doesn't have that many other big places around it.

Not like New York that has something like 10 million people in the surrounding area, and loads of big cities within several hour drives.

Other than trying to iron out some of the bugs that occurred, and changing the laws in New York/Colorado, I don't think I could think of anything more the 10c could do to make sure the majority of tickets end up with fans that will use them, opposed to scalpers?

• Man some of you are fucking bonkers 

or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)