What have I been paying for since 2014?

No really, I'd love to know.

Best I can tell I've lit $120 on fire. No, it's not a huge amount of money (over six years), but I just feel like I've been scammed here. And that it's by my favorite band of all-time is especially painful.

Here's the mental inventory of my 10C benefits since 2014:
  • Emails asking me to buy tshirts
  • Emails asking me to buy posters
  • Emails asking me to support side projects
  • Emails telling me about Eddie Vedder solo shows 5,000 miles away
  • Emails telling me about 3-5 PJ concerts per year >1,000 miles away
  • Emails asking me to support the occasional cause
  • An Email telling me that fan club singles are going away
  • An email telling me an album was "forthcoming" - and hey they were right two years later
  • A missed opportunity to buy fan club tickets in January 2020
I was hanging my hat on "Someday they'll come back to Southern California and I'll be able to get great tickets for a reasonable price, because they'll take care of their fans". 

Look, I accepted long ago that PJ was downshifting in terms of their output and touring, and that's totally fine. And I get that tickets are a limited-quantities game and that you can't please everyone if demand is high. But this shouldn't be a paying group anymore. Close membership, grandfather in everyone who's been a paying member, stop the $20/year, and use the current list for future ticketing opportunities. 

Comments

• rlm2145 said:

Best I can tell I've lit $120 on fire. No, it's not a huge amount of money (over six years), but I just feel like I've been scammed here. And that it's by my favorite band of all-time is especially painful.

• An email telling me an album was "forthcoming" - and hey they were right two years later
    I was hanging my hat on "Someday they'll come back to Southern California and I'll be able to get great tickets for a reasonable price, because they'll take care of their fans". 

Look, I accepted long ago that PJ was downshifting in terms of their output and touring, and that's totally fine. And I get that tickets are a limited-quantities game and that you can't please everyone if demand is high. But this shouldn't be a paying group anymore. Close membership, grandfather in everyone who's been a paying member, stop the $20/year, and use the current list for future ticketing opportunities. 
    Did you not get tickets for Southern California this tour? They are playing 3 shows there
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited January 2020
    Your 'solution' only works if you genuinely believe that the Club's primary purpose isn't to generate additional profit off of Pearl Jam fans. We're also paying the salaries of all the folks that make those perks possible. When you factor in the number of active memberships, the annual fee, the cost to keep this operation running, and the employees who inevitably do most of that work...the fee sort of needs to exist to some extent.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    We should start more threads like this. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    let me guess you put in for all GA for the southern California shows 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Would be my guess...
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    PB11041 said:
    let me guess you put in for all GA for the southern California shows 

9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • rlm2145 said:

or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    $20/year to have a pretty solid chance to avoid having to deal with this every other year...

TOO MUCH!!!

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    edited January 2020
    $1.67/mo to hear PJ 24/7/365 from any web enabled device whenever you want and/or contribute to a never ending conversation about the band where you can buy and swap tickets for face value and be way, way ahead of like 99% of the public on any PJ related news.

TOO MUCH!!!
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    rlm2145 said:
    How did you miss the opportunity? I live in Southern California as well and have been anxiously awaiting the band's return so I'm excited to attend the shows in April. While I was waiting, I also saw them in 2014 at the Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, 2016 at Madison Square Garden, and 2018 at the Home Shows in Seattle.
    kasedoug said:
    rlm2145 said:
    How did you miss the opportunity? I live in Southern California as well and have been anxiously awaiting the band's return so I'm excited to attend the shows in April. While I was waiting, I also saw them in 2014 at the Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, 2016 at Madison Square Garden, and 2018 at the Home Shows in Seattle.
    This sort of misses the point. Many of us don't have the ways or means to travel to see a rock band. Not even this band.

• kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    rlm2145 said:
    This sort of misses the point. Many of us don't have the ways or means to travel to see a rock band. Not even this band.
    I completely understand that. It was important to me so I saved the money to make those things happen. Same thing for the upcoming shows as they didn't come at the best time for me but I made it happen. But I get that people have differing priorities, budgets, etc. The opportunities are out there if it's important to you. Enjoy the shows if you're able to attend, everyone.
    edited January 2020
    kasedoug said:
    AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    rlm2145 said:
    I completely understand that. It was important to me so I saved the money to make those things happen. Same thing for the upcoming shows as they didn't come at the best time for me but I made it happen. But I get that people have differing priorities, budgets, etc. The opportunities are out there if it's important to you. Enjoy the shows if you're able to attend, everyone.
    Yes. But OP clearly expressed no interest in traveling to see them outside of CA so why bother posting if not to brag?
  • korn-1korn-1 Posts: 930
    SoCal resident here, only been doing digital membership since 2013, so thats what... $140? I spent that at the bar last week and only came home with a hangover.
    I've hit my lottery requests 7/9 times in that period, still managed tickets for the other 2 I didnt get selected for and 1 additional show, not to mention Ed solo 4 times and Temple of the Dog. Met Ed, met Mike, met many friends that I still keep in contact with. Being part of this community has givin me more opportunities than any other fan club I've been a part of, that's why I do it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    rlm2145 said:

I have tickets to LA2, Phoenix, and both Oakland shows. From the fan club.   All reserved (maybe one is GA as BA).   You could have easily got fan club tickets to see Pearl Jam in LA and San Diego.  Only can blame yourself here. 
  • This is a valid question.  Two buddies and I put in for 2 GA tix each for the SD and 1st LA show.  LA was showing a 68% chance of scoring tix; SD was 98%.  All three of us were blanked.

NewfieintheUSA said:
    rlm2145 said:

Did you not get tickets for Southern California this tour? They are playing 3 shows there

• AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    rlm2145 said:
    Yes. But OP clearly expressed no interest in traveling to see them outside of CA so why bother posting if not to brag?
    Then the OP is complaining about pricing for the 10c but yet pigeon holing himself into a very small window of opportunity if the only reason to have a membership is to have an opportunity to buy tickets.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    syjenkins said:
    This is a valid question.  Two buddies and I put in for 2 GA tix each for the SD and 1st LA show.  LA was showing a 68% chance of scoring tix; SD was 98%.  All three of us were blanked.

NewfieintheUSA said:
    rlm2145 said:

Final GA odds were:
    San Diego 32%
    LA1 - 27%
    LA2 - 24%
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    What have I been paying for since 1996?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    Have you ever been called a pappnase before?

I have.

it never would have happened if not for being a 10C member.  Thanks 10C!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    AlaG said:
    Your 'solution' only works if you genuinely believe that the Club's primary purpose isn't to generate additional profit off of Pearl Jam fans. We're also paying the salaries of all the folks that make those perks possible. When you factor in the number of active memberships, the annual fee, the cost to keep this operation running, and the employees who inevitably do most of that work...the fee sort of needs to exist to some extent.
    Technically that brings up more questions.   10c seems to handle all of Pearl Jam operations.  Their website, their online store, their merch, etc..... So technically if the 10c memberships completely pay for the entire entity that is the 10c, then PJ figured out a way for their fans to directly fund all their infrastructure.   

Many bands separate their infrastructure and fan club.  

Still.. it's $20/year, and I seem to get tickets every few years.   It's still a lot better than fan clubs I've joint for $50 a year only to get access to really bad fan club tickets.

AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    AlaG said:
    kasedoug said:
    rlm2145 said:
    Then the OP is complaining about pricing for the 10c but yet pigeon holing himself into a very small window of opportunity if the only reason to have a membership is to have an opportunity to buy tickets.
    I'm not coming to bat for the OP. And I understand this sentiment. But say it that way, don't run off a whole list of shows you've been to. Its just self-serving and lame.
  • This couldn’t go in as a reply in any one of the other 392 identical threads?  Guess your $20 gets you some attention at least.  

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    syjenkins said:
    This is a valid question.  Two buddies and I put in for 2 GA tix each for the SD and 1st LA show.  LA was showing a 68% chance of scoring tix; SD was 98%.  All three of us were blanked.

Could you elaborate a little on your strategy? It sounds crazy even as I type it but that's what it takes. Tickets are always high demand. You can still go. Just not the best seats at the best price.  Everyone with higher numbers tries for G.A. That's why so many people get shutout. You couldn't even imagine how hard it was to get tickets in 1994 before fan club tickets. I'll share if you want.
    Things were different then
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    Have you ever been called a pappnase before?

I have.

it never would have happened if not for being a 10C member.  Thanks 10C!
    Expanding my vocabulary here since 2013. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • I can speak for myself, I gladly pay the $20/year to keep my low 10C number.   I've got shut out several occasions on tickets, but won others so I say it's worth the gamble.  I've spent $20 on way stupider things for sure.
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    rlm2145 said:
     Close membership, grandfather in everyone who's been a paying member, stop the $20/year, and use the current list for future ticketing opportunities. 
    This last part really gets me. I have to respond. Did I miss the lifetime member option for $120 back in 1991. Was it stuffed somewhere between the cardboard of Let Me Sleep? Do you see my point? $120? Six years?
    Things were different then
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    edited January 2020
    Just kidding
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    Metallica stopped charging for their fan club, and now it's free.   Best part is I seem to be grandfathered with "legacy" status as I was a paid member before it went free.   Now I get to perpetually get access to tickets a little before all the newbies :)

That being said Metallica charges more for tickets.   So while they might not make fans directly pay for the fan club, they are allocating revenues from somewhere to pay for it.    Sam with Pearl Jam.  If they didn't charge $20/year directly, the revenue would come from something else we were paying for.  It's all moot.