Options

Kicked out because of side band???

EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I'm being FORCED to watch Metallica on VH1 classic and they just said the James Hetfield basically told Jeff Newsted that he couldnt be in Metallica if he also had this side band - how selfish is that???

Damn I love Pearl Jam more every day!!

I cant say anything about having to watch after all of the Pearl Jam DVDs and traveling the country draggin my husband with...
Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I'm being FORCED to watch Metallica on VH1 classic and they just said the James Hetfield basically told Jeff Newsted that he couldnt be in Metallica if he also had this side band - how selfish is that???

I cant say anything about having to watch after all of the Pearl Jam DVDs and traveling the country draggin my husband with...

Its Jason and James was a dick...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    Dammit I meant Jason - was thinking of our wonderful bassist i guess
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Dammit I meant Jason - was thinking of our wonderful bassist i guess

No doubt...:)
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023

You can hear Jason explain his band can never be a threat to Metallica which is probably right......I don´t think Metallica are as happy playing together compared to the "old days" though they sound good live...sometimes...and Lars is a dick also.....

They seem to be together still to keep the money coming in as opposed to PJ who obviously love writing/playing music together.......
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    Lars is such a deusch.................I guess he's just unforgiven 3
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    LOL

I was stuck watching that last night too..I was sick in bed..couldn't sleep. Him and the Ozzy guy switched bands?? How did the doc do box office wise??
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Mr. BeeksMr. Beeks Posts: 103
    Considering Metallica writes such "heavy" music, they are the biggest bunch of bitches going in real life. Bunch of posers.
  • Options
    One more reason to hate Metallica!!!!
    It's funny when things change so much
    It's all state of mind

Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it...

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
  • Options
    JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    James & Lars run the band & it seems they treated Jason like shit plenty of times. Another shitty move was how they mixed his bass parts real low for the album And Justice For All to where they are barely hearable.
  • Options
    Jboogie wrote:
    James & Lars run the band & it seems they treated Jason like shit plenty of times. Another shitty move was how they mixed his bass parts real low for the album And Justice For All to where they are barely hearable.

Just to be fair, this only came to light after having been publicly acknowledged by James while discussing some of the mistreatment toward Jason following Cliff's death. It was made very clear that this, specifically, is something he and Lars both regret and it wasn't done with malicious intent. And this certainly was not the case in any of the albums that followed...the Black album represents an almost over-correction of sorts.

Ever since this revelation, I've been patiently waiting for them to issue a remastered Justice complete with Jason's original bass more in the mix. Come on boys, it's been way too long.....................
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    I saw Some Kind of Monster inn July 2004 when it came out, I LOVE it. Im a HUGE Met fan, the echo brain thing was going NOWHERE.. im guessing they didnt want him to stoop to a lower level I guess. Im happy with Trujillo on bass now, although Newsted was awesome.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 389
    I saw Some Kind of Monster inn July 2004 when it came out, I LOVE it. Im a HUGE Met fan, the echo brain thing was going NOWHERE.. im guessing they didnt want him to stoop to a lower level I guess. Im happy with Trujillo on bass now, although Newsted was awesome.

I don't think stooping to a lower level was the issue, James basically said he was afraid to lose him. I'm paraphasing but i think james said something like, "i used to think that if you love something you need to hold on to it, almost crush it or you will lose it"
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    Lone Wolf wrote:
    I don´t think Metallica are as happy playing together compared to the "old days" though they sound good live...sometimes...and Lars is a dick also.....

They seem to be together still to keep the money coming in as opposed to PJ who obviously love writing/playing music together.......

I'm not sure what you are basing this on but search YouTube for interviews from the past year or 2. They have never been happier or sounded more tighter than they have with Rob (post Cliff).
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930

I saw Echobrain here in Philly I guess back in 2002? Blech. I think Rob is so much better than Jason, primarily because he plays with his fingers. Not to say Jason wasn't talented but I think Rob is a better fit.
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    I'm not sure what you are basing this on but search YouTube for interviews from the past year or 2. They have never been happier or sounded more tighter than they have with Rob (post Cliff).

I forgot "Some kind of monster " was released 4 years ago already......
    I meant I can´t see PJ seeking help to get along.....

I´ve seen them live since 1989 and was not too impressed the last few times I saw them (Kirk fucks up/mistimes a lot and Lars is too frantic -playing fills ALL the time)

There´s not much variety in their setlists also.

They were my favorite live band but I never saw PJ perform until 2006.
    It all changed after that. I´m spoiled now.....:D
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Mr. Beeks wrote:
    Considering Metallica writes such "heavy" music, they are the biggest bunch of bitches going in real life. Bunch of posers.
    Yeah..
    you tell them Ed!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    this should explain ita ll. Armani, heh? DBAG

http://jezebel.com/5029142/metallicas-james-hetfield-makes-mepos-day
  • Options
    Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    I've got Armani sunglasses.....fuk off. I like'em.
  • Options
    Chris1401 wrote:

I'm sure you look great. Has nothing to do with heavy metal dbags shopping at Armani.
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    Chris1401 wrote:
    What are you Canadian?
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020

I think Jeff has alluded in the past to the fact that Three Fish gave him valuable time away from Pearl Jam around the No Code-era. IIRC, the band started recording No Code without Jeff.

Interesting Three Fish/Pearl Jam sidenote: In the liner notes for Quiet Table, there's a board listing song titles and parts recorded. One of the songs, which didn't appear on Quiet Table was "Harmony." A Pearl Jam song, credited I believe to Jeff, by that same name was one of the instrumentals on TB2K.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg